My built-in custom shelves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecapn

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I rarely post pics of my display, but I was really proud of how this turned out.

Long story short, my wife and I recently bought a house and the basement had this beautifully-done built in shelving unit on one wall. It's old - obviously designed to have a CRT TV or smaller flat panel sit in the middle, with the equipment on the sides. But my TV was too big for it, so we mounted it on the opposite wall. So what to do with this unit?

I knew exactly what to do - display my toys :)

I built doors with custom-cut acrylic panels in them and matched the hardware to the original ones. I also lighted the cabinets and built a shelf for the center section. The center one is open with two doors, and the sides are one door each - you can probably tell what they were originally designed for if you look closely enough. I also used the opportunity to mount my favorite prop - an old Master Replicas Rocketeer helmet and a poster for good measure on the side wall next to it.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_3258.jpg
IMG_3259.jpg
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3261.jpg
IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3263.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds like something my wife would say to me :rotfl

If you are done Capn then I admire your self restraint and clear vision on your collection!

That's exactly what my wife says. Lol. I tell her nope, I need a bigger display case now. I say turn the rest of that wall into a figure display. Very nice and well blended display you have there. It looks like it was supposed to be there in the first place. Great job!

Thanks, everyone!

And...No, of course I'm not done! In fact, I think I have more on PO right now than I ever have before. Obviously the Bonds are done; might switch some out for Big Chief's versions if they look good, but no adding there. I'll probably lower the shelf a bit and ATTEMPT to fit the whole LOTR Fellowship above it. I have a bunch of those Acrylic stands, so there's plenty of room with levels to add to the Marvel section, and the two shelves on the right that don't have figures in them will, I'm sure, be switched out.

I've also got another display cabinet - a Besta - in my office; That's where I have my Star Trek collection, which is growing too ;)

A collector's work is never done!

I will say that my wife is very supportive of my hobby, and we decided early on that as long as none of my toys end up upstairs, I can put them wherever I want in the basement. LOL!

Back