Where did you get your old vintage figures, toys, & videogames when you were a kid?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReplicantSavior

Super Freak
Reaction score
Where did you get your old vintage figures, toys, & videogames when you were a kid?

For me it was Toys R Us. I think I went to Kay Bee on occasion. I'm not sure of the name of another store where I also purchased videogames. I've been trying to find it. I know I purchased NES Legend of Zelda at that store.

There was a large store competitor to Toys R Us called Circus World. I know I got Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future toys there. I think Thundercats or maybe Silverhawks figures as well. It might have been Silverhawks as I remember they were new and looked cool. I don't think I even saw the show before getting the figures. Maybe they were displayed near the Thundercats and I assumed it would be just as good.

I'm just curious with the news of Toys R Us today. I'm searching around for old store pics. Post them and stories if you have them. So many of these stores and malls are no longer around.

Re: Where did you get your old vintage figures, toys, & videogames when you were a ki

It was Toys'R'Us, KB Toys and Circus World for me. Each trip to the toy store was an event! The selection was always a mystery and possibilities were endless.

Re: Where did you get your old vintage figures, toys, & videogames when you were a ki

Sears, JC Penny and K-Mart. Toys r Us were few and far between back then. Never had video games as a kid; when I was in Junior High my cousins got an Atari, and had Pong. We thought that was the s$&t!

Before Toys R Us, there was a great store called Bargain Town. Toys R Us bought them out. There was also Kresge's, K Mart, and Kiddie Land in the Detroit area. This was back in the 60's and 70's.

My small town had a Golden Rule, Otasca, Freds and Western Auto that sold toys before Walmart came to town. Couple of years later only Freds was left

For me it was mostly toys r us but I remember getting QUITE a few toys from Lionel's Kiddie City and KB Toys as well. Also got a lot of toys from Bradlee's which I think was local to the New Jersey/New York area.

Children's Palace and a little store called Woolworths. That's where mt mom would buy kenner star wars and Megos for me as a kid. Wish to hell I still had them! LOL

Walmart, TG&Y, Montgomery Wards, Sears, Target, Venture. TRU was overpriced and I knew I could get 3 joes at the other places instead of just 2 at TRU.

I totally forgot about Woolworths.

The primary one for me was Children's Palace. It was sort of like Toys R Us but it had a panda mascot. Not far from there was Toys R Us which I went to from time to time, but not nearly as often. And of course we would get toys from the Walmart every once in awhile. The KB Toys in the mall with something I went to as I got a bit older but it wasn't something I ever really visited as a small kid. Further down the road from us was Lionel's Playworld. I really like that place but it closed and I was pretty young, probably before I was even 10 years old. But it's memorable because that's a place where I bought some of these old Marvel cartoon video cassettes with huge clamshell cases. I had one for Captain America one for the Fantastic Four, and one for Spider-Man. These were cartoons from different points in time some of the Fantastic Four cartoons were from the 60s, the Captain America had some of his sixties Kirby animated comic cartoons + 1 episode of the Spider-Man cartoon from the early 80s. One memorable ToysRUs moment for me though, was when I broke my arm when I was 5 years old. My parents brought me there and said I could get any toy I wanted. So of course, I chose the power punch He Man figure.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

TG&Y was the main place I bought my toys when I was a kid. I bought everything Star Wars, Transformers, and GI Joe that they had. I still remember that GI Joe figures were $2.24 a piece there so I could get two after mowing a lawn for $5. Toys R Us was out of town so it was a big deal to get to go there--usually to pick out a birthday present or as a reward from my parents.

Back when toy stores were cool. :drool

esb5.jpg

esb3.jpg

star-wars-1.jpg

rotj5.jpg

97de81bc9c00c6868176d17d924bd2ce--toy-display-display-ideas.jpg

6edd12815fc36fdc51b1e0afb8b83555--toy-display-star-wars-toys.jpg

1911b41995d2b59548bc8e0aa7313d7e.jpg

Hell, yes! :rock I remember there being so much stuff on the shelves that I generally didn't worry about being able to find a figure or vehicle. It was just a matter of having the money to buy it.

Child World. Such a great store back then around here. I still have my Death Star playset that I got as a kid in it's original box with sticker from there ($19.99).

Hell, yes! :rock I remember there being so much stuff on the shelves that I generally didn't worry about being able to find a figure or vehicle. It was just a matter of having the money to buy it.

Exactly!

It was Toys'R'Us, KB Toys and Circus World for me. Each trip to the toy store was an event! The selection was always a mystery and possibilities were endless.

So true. I remember getting a lot of mystery toys. I found and repurchased a Super Go Bot I had when I was young. Turns out it was in Space Adventure Cobra. Also, I'm trying to get a few vintage MASK vehicles that I owned but lost.

Walmart, TG&Y, Montgomery Wards, Sears, Target, Venture. TRU was overpriced and I knew I could get 3 joes at the other places instead of just 2 at TRU.

I remember Venture. I got those old ripcord TRON lightcycles from that store.

I think either Montgomery Ward or Woolworths were other smaller type stores in regards to toys and videogames. I recall after school I would go with a friend and look at the NES game covers behind a small glass case in one of those stores. I'm talking a small case not even taller than I was back then. And they had to open the case with a key on the rare time we purchased a game. I recall the smell of the plastic since the games were locked in that case.

Back when toy stores were cool. :drool

esb5.jpg

esb3.jpg

star-wars-1.jpg

rotj5.jpg

97de81bc9c00c6868176d17d924bd2ce--toy-display-display-ideas.jpg

6edd12815fc36fdc51b1e0afb8b83555--toy-display-star-wars-toys.jpg

1911b41995d2b59548bc8e0aa7313d7e.jpg

That's beautiful. I wish I could go back and get some of those boxed figures and vehicles.

I think I might have picked up some toys at FAO Schwarz. I remember there was one in a major mall and we would go there after movies and McDonalds. Kids were always playing NES Duck Hunt in the early days on the system. NES was still new then and the ROB robot was sold with it. Small Smurf figures were really popular then. All of them were in glass cases. I didn't know where to begin with Smurfs and only picked up a few from back then. And they struck me as more foreign or perhaps higher end I think because they were like statues with good paint jobs when compared to GI Joe and other action figures that were meant to be played with.

How did u guys have money when you were a "kid" too collect, did your parents just buy you whatever you wanted anytime you went to a toy store. Endless possibilities seem limited by what your parent were willing to spend on you, if they spoiled you thats a different story. Dont get me wrong i liked going to toy stores as a kid, but since i relied on my parents to buy things collecting was very limited. My parents werent the type to just buy me anything and everything i wanted so most of the time i left toy stores empty handed. I would get a star wars figure here and there but if it wasnt my birthday or xmas i didnt expect them to buy me much, let alone buy enough to be considered a collector. I didnt really start collecting until i was in my early teens and earned my own money

Back