Toys R' Us Bankruptcy - RIP June 29, 2018, or coming back ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Toys R' Us Files for Bankruptcy!

I thought I would never see the day :thud:

I wonder if Neca will try to sell their product at Target now :dunno

They've been a crummy store for many years, at least where I live. Hard to really tease out causality here. Obviously, online competition was the major factor. But the rampant disorganization and horrific customer service I've experienced in nearly every brick and mortar version of the store, and terrible experiences with online orders being randomly canceled have kept them from finding any way of really competing in the modern consumer age.

The only good thing about this is that it may facilitate the downfall of NECA. Am I right, guys? :hi5:

Heard about this yesterday.

Will I miss them? Not really. Anything I can buy in the store I can buy online and it's been almost a year since my local store actually carried anything I cared about buying or didn't already have... in terms of NECA figures. My local FYE store has always had more NECA stock than my local TRU ever has.

I suppose I'll miss the idea of being able to drive to the store and pick something up, but I don't think I'll miss the stores themselves.

This is what happens when you have walmart quality customer service but charge Nordstrom level prices for all your merchandise. Shopping at toys r us was always a horrible experience for me much like walmart, nobody really tries to help you when you ask for assistance, and if they do they just tell you its out of stock without looking up inventory in the system, shelves are never stocked, and nobody answers the phone, if you're lucky enough to get an answer you get the canned "no we don't have the item its out of stock, but you can order online" response so fast you that you know they didn't look anything up or check inventory, other times you just get left on hold and nobody comes back to the phone. It was run like a dollar store yet you couldn't buy anything for $1 in that place, everything has a mark up over MSRP, which is insane given the lack of effort their employees and staff put out. I assume they paid these people peanuts, much like walmart, so somebody at Toysrus was definitely getting rich. Its good for society that its going under, maybe it be a lessen to other business that you cant gouge customers & treat them like **** and still expect to stay in business.

...maybe it be a lessen to other business that you cant gouge customers & treat them like **** and still expect to stay in business.

comcast_logo_detail.png

I should've known..TRUs or at least my local TRUs and there are a ton near me, they release new collectible product so random now when in the 90s or early to mid 2000 they stocked the newest hottest franchises very quickly as soon as they were available.

I think companies aren't seeing the turnaround of product so they must be cutting down shipments to the stores in the last few years.:dunno

Is NECA's business really that dependent on TRU? I mean hey, if they stopped doing what they're doing, maybe more high-end companies would get in on the licenses they hold. And, you know, put out figures whose joints don't snap just by looking at them.

Aside from that, don't think I'll be missing TRU. I visit the store maybe a couple times a year to kill time, see what they're carrying. Rarely am I ever impressed.

Is NECA's business really that dependent on TRU? I mean hey, if they stopped doing what they're doing, maybe more high-end companies would get in on the licenses they hold. And, you know, put out figures whose joints don't snap just by looking at them.

Aside from that, don't think I'll be missing TRU. I visit the store maybe a couple times a year to kill time, see what they're carrying. Rarely am I ever impressed.

I think it depends on the line that Neca is doing, not all the Neca lines are selling, I see tons of Neca figures just warming pegs week after week, month after month

haha I agree although Comcast customers support has always been nice too me, the problem is they have a monopoly on the industry so they charge way more then their services are worth. I do not like how they treat their long term customers in terms of pricing though. Long term customers are gouged by Comcast and are basically paying for all the newbies to get those great rates in the first 2 years of contract. Once they get you locked in your screwed unless you switch to direct TV but then they take you to the bank for internet services which direct TV doesn't provide. They know its a ***** to switch cable services providers every two years which is why they lure you in with good deals then your bill balloons after 2 years to astronomical rates.

Last edited:

Cable TV will soon go the way of the dinosaurs. But the monopoly that so many cable companies have finagled over provision of internet service will easily offset that. And the movement of the current administration regarding net neutrality is only going to magnify those problems.

I assume that if "Toys R Us" goes then that would include "Babies R Us" as well? Because the latter was a much more relevant and useful store (when my kids were smaller obviously.) Oh well, if "Babies R Us" shuts down then maybe that will free up the copyright of that name so we could use it for some of the figure threads here... :monkey3

This is what happens when you have walmart quality customer service but charge Nordstrom level prices for all your merchandise. Shopping at toys r us was always a horrible experience for me much like walmart, nobody really tries to help you when you ask for assistance, and if they do they just tell you its out of stock without looking up inventory in the system, shelves are never stocked, and nobody answers the phone, if you're lucky enough to get an answer you get the canned "no we don't have the item its out of stock, but you can order online" response so fast you that you know they didn't look anything up or check inventory, other times you just get left on hold and nobody comes back to the phone. It was run like a dollar store yet you couldn't buy anything for $1 in that place, everything has a mark up over MSRP, which is insane given the lack of effort their employees and staff put out. I assume they paid these people peanuts, much like walmart, so somebody at Toysrus was definitely getting rich. Its good for society that its going under, maybe it be a lessen to other business that you cant gouge customers & treat them like **** and still expect to stay in business.

I've always found this point of view to be odd, but If you've never worked retail then maybe you wouldn't understand. You get "Walmart type customer service" at most retail stores because the majority of these greedy companies don't pay their employees ****. Lots of the jobs their are very labor intensive too, I'm not saying everyone in retail has it bad but a lot do. There's no incentive for people to care when your busting your ass and barely make $8 dollars an hour, especially when you deal with rude ignorant people all day long.

On a totally side note I actually worked part time at a TRU way back in the early 90's. I basically unloaded trucks in the back and built bikes and things. One very strict rule that they had at the time was that we were to *never* pull something out of a box from the back if a customer on the floor asked us to hunt around for something. We had to give a canned "everything available is currently on the floor, we don't know what's in the sealed boxes until we open them after hours, bla bla bla" type response.

However I could never resist a little kid coming up and asking if we had any Gambit figures (they were always quickly snatched off the pegs) back when X-Men figures were hot at the time (I'm assuming that's when the cartoon series was popular as well.) I always knew where the X-Men figures were in the back and honestly it was probably the high point of working there to be able to tell some kid "dude, I gotcha covered" and then come back with a shiny carded Gambit figure. The "Oh my gosh, YESS!!! Mom, Dad, they had him!!!" made it all worth it, lol.

I always remembered how it made my day back in 1983 when a lady who worked at Sears went and grabbed me a Biker Scout figure from a closed drawer hidden away from the pegs so it was cool to be able to pay it forward for a new generation.

Last edited:
Back