Serenity/Firefly new home video releases

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, Firefly 15th Anniversary Collector's Edition:
813KWefwj4L._SL1500_.jpg

Some extra materials and special packaging but the same content on the discs. Comes out September 19th

And then we have Serenity in 4K UHD Blu-Ray:
71AVEDsHBXL._SL1500_.jpg

This one is a new release, however it's likely going to be in 2K resolution that's upconverted to 4K. The movie used film cameras but was converted to digital for editing and VFX so they had to choose a resolution at that point which was 2K, so they would have to rescan the original film and do the editing and color all over again to get 4K which just isn't likely. Still, 2K is better than 1080P, and this also has DTS:X sound so this will be as good or better than what was in theaters. The rest of the content is the same as the original Blu-Ray.
This gets released October 17th

It makes me really want to try and remake the VFX for Firefly, it was originally done at 480p since TV wasn't broadcast in HD at the time. But, since the show as shot on film they were able to make a 1080p version for the Blu-Ray release though they didn't do anything for the VFX. It'd be fun I think to show what we can do now with VFX, on my own computer I can do so much more than they could at the time. I did a 3D model of Serenity a while back and have planned a new updated and improved version that I plan to get back to next month. But it'd require modeling a bunch of extra stuff besides that.

There's a kind of generic steelbook for Serenity, and I think some stores in the U.K. get some steelbook exclusives. I'm not sure how I feel about that type of thing if it's not really the official steelbook

There's a kind of generic steelbook for Serenity, and I think some stores in the U.K. get some steelbook exclusives. I'm not sure how I feel about that type of thing if it's not really the official steelbook

I have the Universal Heroes edition of Serentity, and I know there's a new edition coming out with a far less inspiring design. I'd live to see the series itself get a nice steel. TV series have been getting a lot of steel love lately, and they all are coming out really nicely.

The 4K Blu-Ray of Serenity is just OK, not noticeably different from the 1080p Blu-Ray, which isn't surprising, they use the master which was only 2K resolution so the jump from 1080p to 2K isn't that much. Still, if you have the sound system that supports DTS:X then that's a bonus, and this is certainly the highest quality version of the movie, even higher than what was shown in theaters since the image is upscaled and the DTS:X mix should be better.

Back