Sphero's R2-D2 in scale with Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope I didn't miss a thread on this somewhere, but Sphero is making a R2-D2 that is controlled via a smart phone. Amazon puts the height at 6 1/2 inches tall, which might put it in scale with Hot Toys and Sideshow. Does anyone have more info?

https://www.cnet.com/products/sphero-r2-d2/preview/

Well, R2-D2 should be 3' 7" in real world height, that converted into 1/6 scale measures about 7 1/8". Sideshow's R2-D2 measures according to their website, 6.75" or 6 3/4" tall. And most people feel the SSC R2 is just slightly under scaled visually (which the math confirms). I'd say the Sphero RC R2-D2 is under scaled, even when compared to Sideshow's R2.

BTW, the Sphero BB-8 is also slightly under scaled for Sixth Scale, especially when compared to the HT version of BB-8.

It is. There even a interview online where one of the devs mentions that it was made to fit with other 1/6 scale figures. The detail and lights are ridiculous! I can't imagine getting the HT with this out. Why it have something equally stunning looking that actually does cool stuff, right?

It's awesome BTW. I might be getting my own today or later this week. It's sooooooo much better than BB-8. I used him like 3 times and sold him. Head kept popping off, spinning out of control, just wasn't my kind of remote control experience.

It is. There even a interview online where one of the devs mentions that it was made to fit with other 1/6 scale figures. The detail and lights are ridiculous! I can't imagine getting the HT with this out. Why it have something equally stunning looking that actually does cool stuff, right?

It's awesome BTW. I might be getting my own today or later this week. It's sooooooo much better than BB-8. I used him like 3 times and sold him. Head kept popping off, spinning out of control, just wasn't my kind of remote control experience.

If it's 6 1/2" tall then it's not accurate 1/6 scale, it will be too small, more in scale with the old Medicom SW figures.
I'm sure they intended the BB-8 to be Sixth Scale, but it's just a bit too small as well.

Last edited:
Sphero and Apple have it at 6.7". I dunno. They mentioned that they studied Artoos every movement frame by frame and took sounds directly from LFM, I can't imagine they'd fudge the scale by 1/4".

Edit: Oh I see actual the height should be 7.125". Ok then maybe they did. Oh well, I guess they didn't use HT as reference or just said that it does as an approximation. I mean it certainly wouldn't fit with other scales, so I understand their logic.

In any event, 7.125" = 18.098cm.
Sphero is 6.693" = 17cm
That's a 1.098cm (.432") difference to true scale.

The BB-8 HT/Sphero comparison looks way more off that R2. Maybe because we can immediate tell the height and diameter of the ball is so different? I have to imagine the Sphero products are all in scale with each other, so now I'm just confused...

I still want it, though!

Is Sphero allowed to make Star Wars stuff in true 1/6 scale? :confused: Do they need the license or perhaps cause its not technically an 'action figure', Does that make a difference? :dunno

Maybe. They did mention that as well, it's classification as a "toy" that is and not a "collectible", thus having to adhere to different standards as far as having little pieces that can come off i.e. choking hazards, etc.

This looks like alot of fun, not a bad price and a cool bonus that its in 1/6th scale.

Regarding size discrepancy, the article says this is in scale with 12" action figures, not 1/6 scale. Huge ...well...there is a difference. :) I think Disney or Hasbro are still making 12" figures, this may work better for that line.

In the HT thread lamtsung fungi said it was same size as SS, so slightly smaller than HT.

I just bought this r2. I figure he be a great place holder until I get the HT version maybe next month. I cant wait to see this sphero R2 in hand it looks so cool.

I just bought this r2. I figure he be a great place holder until I get the HT version maybe next month. I cant wait to see this sphero R2 in hand it looks so cool.

Nice! You going to dirty him up a bit? I think that would be cool moving in one of Joosts dips.

oh yeah weathering him is a must. I have the Tamiya weathering kits sitting right in front of me awaiting for my r2 to come home. now this sphero R2-D2 cost almost as much as the HT R2-D2 it even has the same sounds but it might not have the detailing like the hot toys does but this has something even better it comes alive and like a miniature version of R2 which is tops in my book.

He definitely needs some weathering although I've never tried weathering before. Does Joost have a video on it?

I would not recommend plugging r2 directly into a wall outlet. I think I killed my first r2 doing that. It's possible that it was just a bad battery, but I charge him through the laptop now just to be safe.

Here's a comparison I found, left Hot Toys and right is the Sphero.

30188601506_675bc97120_b.jpg

Hi! Just in case you were wondering. R2 D2 sideshow / sphero / medicom. :)

d126086fd2337008927deb4fee84a80e.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G900M mediante Tapatalk

Back