Is Hot Toys on the side of the Empire?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echo1126

Super Freak
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Hot Toys favors the Empire? Outside of the main characters it seems HT has produced a lot of Empire troops. We've gotten:
ANH Stormtroopers
Spacetrooper
Sandtrooper
Snowtrooper
Death Star Gunner
The various non-cannon Stormtroopers (Gold, Porcelain, etc.)
2 Battefront Troops (Shock and Jump)
Emperor's Royal Guard
Upcoming Death Star Trooper
Announced ROTJ Stormtrooper
Possible Sandtrooper Sergeant
And that doesn't even include the RO Troopers, or while technically not the Empire, the FO Troopers
I'm not complaining because I like troopers, but can we get some Rebels to equal things out??
Rebel Fleet Trooper, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Endor Soldier, Pilots

Thoughts?

I would imagine it has more to do with the cost of creating new outfits and headsculpts for rebel characters. They can easily re-use molds for stormtroopers, and get those out the quickest with repaints and different accessories. Sideshow did the same thing with all the Clones they produced. They paid a lot for the license, so naturally they will try to make as much use as they can out of the molds.

Hot Toys favors repaints and minor tooling variations.

Just ask the Marvel forum.

But that's true of a lot of toy/collectible companies.

It's also easier to knock out things that don't require a portrait to be sculpted and an actor to sign off on likeness. You wouldn't need the latter for a generic headsculpt, sure, but a generic Rebel trooper would be a random dude in a combat jacket with a helmet which would make it more of a niche item.

Imperial troopers tend to sell. People army build them. It's hard to just have one Stormtrooper. That's how I ended up with 8 ANH Stormtroopers.

That said, Sideshow should really be making Rebel pilots and troopers to balance out HT.

HT is weak and silly.... they do not make enough Empire troopers...

They have failed Asia by being unable to produce:

OT TIE pilot
Snowtrooper Commander
Death Star Trooper for PO
Imperial Officer
General Veers
Scout Trooper

Until this is remedied, HT remains 2nd place.

HT is weak and silly.... they do not make enough Empire troopers...

They have failed Asia by being unable to produce:

OT TIE pilot
Snowtrooper Commander
Death Star Trooper for PO
Imperial Officer
General Veers
Scout Trooper

Until this is remedied, HT remains 2nd place.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"

The rebels need to simply get more faceless troopers wearing masked helmets and the Hot Toy Rebel/Empire balance will start to even out. :)

Or.......Hot Toys are simply evil. And like the Dark side more ?? :)

I agree with Wor-Gar. As a matter of fact, they haven't announced an imperial trooper for a while. More are needed. Comon Hot Toys, put out the ROTJ Imperials before the Han Solo movie, please!

I agree with Wor-Gar. As a matter of fact, they haven't announced an imperial trooper for a while. More are needed. Comon Hot Toys, put out the ROTJ Imperials before the Han Solo movie, please!

I like Wor-Gar's list too. But I am also hoping for some rebel troops.

Rebel troops would be great.
It's terribly unlikely HT or SS would do it, but accessory kits with uniforms and weapons would even be wicked to see, like Toys City does, only Star Wars instead of WWII.

I'd like to see 2 packs like HT did with their ANH Stormtroopers and Snowtroopers.
Rebel Fleet Troopers with 2 different head sculpts
Hoth Rebel Soldiers similar to what hasbro did (one with a beard and one clean-shavin)
Endor Soldiers like Sideshow did years ago (Nic Sant and a second trooper)

But I'd be very happy with one of each.

I think its due to the fact that it's difficult for collectors to army build any trooper that needs a headsculpt. Would be interesting to see if we will actually get more FO troops in TLJ this time since there aren't that many new troopers show in the trailers yet. Don't think we will see as many variants as TFA.

Rebels/human troops would be great indeed. Still love my Sideshow Endor troops trio and fleet trooper. I'd love to add more modern versions to the ranks. Nowadays, basic (ie no actor likenesses) HS shouldn't be that hard to crank out to allow for some variety in our displays.

My collecting focus is Original Trilogy Imperials, so I'm glad what HT is making so far.

These are the Imperials I am interested in getting from HT (some on pre-order already):

Death Star Gunner
Death Star Trooper
Tarkin
Darth Vader ROTJ
Snowtrooper Commander
Sandtrooper white pauldron (and black if they ever consider making it)
Stormtrooper ROTJ
Scout
Veers (in AT-AT armor)
AT-ST Driver
Royal Guard(s)
Emperor (maybe with a better sculpt)
TIE Pilot (pretty happy with SSC version though) - I'd go for some of the helmet paint variants as well
AT-AT Driver (pretty happy with SSC version though)
Stormtrooper 1/4

And maybe some Imperial officers like:
Motti
Piett
Ozzel
Needa
Jerjerrod

Rebels/human troops would be great indeed. Still love my Sideshow Endor troops trio and fleet trooper. I'd love to add more modern versions to the ranks. Nowadays, basic (ie no actor likenesses) HS shouldn't be that hard to crank out to allow for some variety in our displays.

I hear ya.

I'm actually using an Ace sculpt, a sort-of knock off Tom Hanks head, as my Fleet Trooper. Has a pretty good serious expression.
18888635_1820096294973844_1092595411874480128_n.jpg

Now that's what i'm talking about. Please HT, consider a few of those in your planned releases.

Back