Mos vs Reeve superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainpaulo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just curious as to see what movie has the most love, cast your vote.... just leave your choice no arguing please.

My choice MOS.:clap

Ps this thread may need to be moved.

Is this the follow-up to your discussion in the Justice League thread?

I pick Reeve for the better Supes, but I liked MoS more than his movies.

Two very different takes on the character, both very good and very fitting for their respective times.

Christopher Reeve's Superman was the Superman of my childhood, but the current iteration in my opinion is the better told, more in depth look at Superman, which I think is necessary for today's climate. So I'm going to go with MoS if I had to choose one.

As mentioned though, two different approaches to the character; one more simplistic, one more convoluted. Both perfect for their time and ultimately stand for the same ideals, just depicted differently.

I love Donner's 1st superman, but I feel mos is better than any of the others, Lester's superman II is a bit like watching the star wars prequels to me. They really need to get away from superman of the 80s comic look, hyper muscular but thin. If you have read Superman: For all seasons, by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale, THAT is what superman should be to me, a big brawny guy, but not a bodybuilder. So for me Reeves comes closest, but he isn't perfect either.

On a side note, Cavill really hasn't had much time as Kent, mostly superman, so it's hard to compare him to Reeves,

For me, it's Reeve. He had such great balance and brought so much to the screen playing both roles. He made Kent as "klutzy" as he made Superman the "hero". I loved his Kent as much as his Superman as he made both characters so easily likable. Almost made you root for both characters, if that makes any sense.

I also agree as posted above that Cavill hasn't really had a chance to be "Kent" yet, so we will see down the road more of that, hopefully.

It is Reeve for me. When I think of Superman, he will come to mind first. When you hear the Superman theme, who comes to mind? Reeve.

I absolutly hate the idea that MOS is more of a fit for the current climate. What does that even mean? That sincerity and optimism are outdated?

I grew up watching Christopher Reeves , he will always be my Superman as a kid. But the movies are too out dated now, I loved the new man of steel movie, and Henry Cavill fits the bill good. It's two different worlds it's too hard to make that choice

Huge fan of Cavill and MOS, but Reeve will still always be my favorite. And those Donner movies just had a magic and sense of wonder that you hardly ever see anymore in superhero movies.

Henry Cavill is my favorite Superman, he's the version of the character I've always wanted to see... I believe Man of Steel is a masterpiece of a film.

When I was really small, I loved Superman The Movie but then around 9, I just couldn't watch it anymore... I just couldn't relate to him, it was too cheesy and the romance really killed it for me.

Superman FTW. Directed by Donner, written by Mario Puzo(Godfather writer) and tied to my childhood. MoS was OK, it got better after multiple viewings

People of this time hate Cavill as Supes tho. :lol

Do they? I've also seen some people say they now like Supes when they hated the character before because they find the current iteration to be more interesting and relatable.

Although I'm not sure what they were comparing him to because I would venture to guess that not many people born after roughly, 1990, have seen the Christopher Reeve Superman films.

I absolutly hate the idea that MOS is more of a fit for the current climate. What does that even mean? That sincerity and optimism are outdated?

This. Reeve and Superman 78 all the way. I personally feel like the DCEU Superman is "dark" just for the sake of it, and doesn't stem from conflict or internal struggle that feels organic to the viewer. Now don't get me wrong- I absolutely love dark superheroes and I do think that Superman is ripe for a darker interpretation but I feel these movies were made for people who are too embarrassed to be a fan of Superman and his red undies, and think they finally found something they gravitate towards.

If the DCEU wants to tackle Superman's "outdated" morals, then they should have done it in the vein of the animated movie "Superman Vs. The Elite", which I think is one of the best Superman movies ever made. Superman was always a character we aspire to be, not one to be dragged down our depressive indulgences just to sell tickets.. or (Hot) Toys.

Man of steel for me. Much like Jon, I enjoyed the donner superman up to a certain age and then found it too cheesy. Man of steel is an absolutely stellar movie to me, the best of the DCEU, and I love it's take on superman and his soul searching, as we all go through at points. Life is not so simple that we were all optimistic Boy Scouts from beginning till the end. I love the journey. I also love the music, the visuals of the flight and battles, and I think between the current DCEU and MCU that Zod is the best villain presented thus far. You could see his plight, he was the hero of his own story as a villain should be, and he wasn't just out and out evil for the sake of it. Shannon was fantastic in the role.

About the only thing I didn't like was the kiss after all the mayhem. Didn't think it was required.

This. Reeve and Superman 78 all the way. I personally feel like the DCEU Superman is "dark" just for the sake of it, and doesn't stem from conflict or internal struggle that feels organic to the viewer. Now don't get me wrong- I absolutely love dark superheroes and I do think that Superman is ripe for a darker interpretation but I feel these movies were made for people who are too embarrassed to be a fan of Superman and his red undies, and think they finally found something they gravitate towards.

If the DCEU wants to tackle Superman's "outdated" morals, then they should have done it in the vein of the animated movie "Superman Vs. The Elite", which I think is one of the best Superman movies ever made. Superman was always a character we aspire to be, not one to be dragged down our depressive indulgences just to sell tickets.. or (Hot) Toys.

DCEU Superman was prolly WB wanting another Dark Knight Trilogy. They even had Nolan on board for MoS.

I think between the current DCEU and MCU that Zod is the best villain presented thus far. You could see his plight, he was the hero of his own story as a villain should be, and he wasn't just out and out evil for the sake of it. Shannon was fantastic in the role.

Agree. Zod and a few Kryptonians were able to wreak more death and destruction that an entire army of Chitauris in Avengers. At the end of Avengers, all I see are broken windows and a rooftop (where that giant flying dragon fell). Those Dark Elves in Thor 2 wasn't much of a threat either.

DCEU's villains are more threatening. Enchantress single-handedly caused more destruction than those Chitauris. She nearly destroyed an entire city, some aircraft carriers, a top-secret military base, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back