Movie grosses are down from last year (tho think Thor/JL/SW will save the BO)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassafras

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://money.cnn.com/2017/08/02/investing/amc-movie-theaters-box-office/index.html

Despite big hits like "Wonder Woman," "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2," and "Spider-Man: Homecoming," movie grosses are down 2% from a year ago, according to figures from Box Office Mojo, which tracks the industry...But AMC, owned by the Chinese conglomerate Dailan Wanda Group, is not the only struggling multiplex owner. Regal Entertainment (RGC)recently told Wall Street that its results would miss the mark. So did Imax (IMAX), which also announced in June that it was laying off nearly 15% of its workers

I'm in for Logan Lucky this month. Maybe Kingsman next month. Maybe Blade Runner in October tho I'm kinda on the fence there as love the original (versions) so much.

But mostly until November IMO:

wasteland.jpg

Maybe the studios will show some pity and release some trailers *Infinity War*. Tho there's probably something wrong when you are looking forward to a trailer more than a lot of films.:monkey3

IW_trailerv3.jpg

SW: TLJ will make less than TFA, but it'll easily make over a billion.

JL = :lol Who knows?

Thor 3 won't make a billion, but it'll make more than the previous Thor films if the movie is good.

I would go to more movies if I could. Life gets in the way. I missed quite a few I wanted to see in the theater.

I wonder if they're strictly going by box office or figuring in concessions, etc. With movies coming out on disc a lot faster than they used to, plus streaming, access to illegal downloads, and people simply not being able to afford it anymore, it's not any wonder why people are staying at home.

Then you have so many people that hate EVERYTHING these days. No matter what movie is coming out, people seem to already label it a fail, or use RT to judge whether or not they will see a movie.

And it's not helping that they're putting the blus up for PO while the movies are still in theaters

Exactly! They even do it with the movies that are doing really well. I remember it used to be close to a year before a movie came out of blu. Sometimes longer!

I wonder if there's any merit to the "millennials killing everything" theory here. With restaurants claiming no one is willing to pay for an "experience" anymore wouldn't be surprised if that were true of movies. In addition to the other reasoning here of course.

I wonder if there's any merit to the "millennials killing everything" theory here. With restaurants claiming no one is willing to pay for an "experience" anymore wouldn't be surprised if that were true of movies. In addition to the other reasoning here of course.

They can't keep their noses out of their phones long enough to watch a movie.....unless it's on their phone.

I can't tell you how many times I see people get up and go around the corner to check their phones during a movie. Some don't even bother getting out of their seats to check it.

Maybe it's just a fashion thing. The US had a long run of the theatrical experience being important. Youngings in other countries seem to go more and more. Maybe the future is random movies crowdfunded quick by people wo want to watch that movie. Who knows?

Every year is starting to have the same menu. People get bored.

Studios are risk averse. Almost every movie is a franchise flick or audience-safe. I'd guess half the great movies of yesteryear wouldn't even get made in today's environment.

If the theatre is 80% empty why is the ticket still $15?

Why is the ticket $15 in the first place?

There are a hundred options people now have for entertainment they didnt have 20 yrs ago (youtube, playstation, ppv, cable dramas, dvds). So if competition for entertainment goes up why doesnt the price of a ticket go down?

If the theatre is 80% empty why is the ticket still $15?

Why is the ticket $15 in the first place?

There are a hundred options people now have for entertainment they didnt have 20 yrs ago (youtube, playstation, ppv, cable dramas, dvds). So if competition for entertainment goes up why doesnt the price of a ticket go down?

Cuz they have to pay entitled annoying - holes milions of dollars for a months work.

Cuz they have to pay entitled annoying - holes milions of dollars for a months work.

i hate smartphones but everyone else loves them. Just have an alert system that tells people there are tickets for lower prices at the moment if interested...

I don't know the business but I'm guessing the theatre owners agree with the studios or the theatre franchise to charge a minimum for tickets. That's why there's no fluctuation or variety in ticket prices.

Going to a movie costs a lot if you pay for more than yourself. Plus, in the age of streaming, the movie has to really be special for me to go see on bigger screen.

Plus, I'm tired of seeing people on their phones, bringing 3 month olds, or rustling candy wrappers through whole movie.

Going to a movie costs a lot if you pay for more than yourself. Plus, in the age of streaming, the movie has to really be special for me to go see on bigger screen.

Plus, I'm tired of seeing people on their phones, bringing 3 month olds, or rustling candy wrappers through whole movie.

THIS. Tho I am liking the new theaters w. the lounge chairs and reserve seating. Or my fav IMAX w. the great sound system. Most of the times seems like paying more helps screen out the more obnoxious folks. Or at least puts some space between folks.

IF you pay more. But that's the thing, not gonna pay more and see something like Baywatch or King Arthur. Movies are more of an "event". IMO this summer's lineup hasn't been one of those summers where I'm wondering "should I see this, or that, 'coz I wanna see both".

I really think more R&D should be done into having a streaming service for new movies. I forget where I read it but it was something like a pay service and you have a 'box' and it streams new movies which are in theatres to it. Obviously subscription or pay per view based. The pushback is obviously from the MPAA and when you invite 10 people over but pay for one persons 'admission'. There was some talk of big brother like appliances to scan the room/retina scan to then charge accordingly, but I think the concept behind it is something worthy of more discussion. I mean right now that's what many people do for PPV fights and all. Get 10 people to split the cost of the event and everyone comes over to watch. I guess that's why some PPV events are so much $$$ then.

Personally I've found that I really only HAVE to see a very few movies in the theatre every year. Usually they are the ones which would lend themselves well to the big screen or ones I'm just really excited to see. IIRC this year I've only seen 4 movies in the theatre. Logan, Covenant, Wonder Woman and Dunkirk. Logan didn't NEED to be seen on the big screen like Dunkirk did. I was really excited about Logan and subsequently ran out opening day to see it. WW was decent on big screen as was Covenant although my personal issues with that film notwithstanding. The gripes everyone has about moviegoers are the same ones I have. Kids, phones, talking/noise and just general disdain for being in with the public! I'd FREELY pay for a new movie subscription type thing, as long as it's not buku bucks and no big brother stuff.

Here's a similar article

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/startup-plans-to-air-new-movies-in-home-for-50/

the fact that you can buy giant tvs with HD screens also means people will rather invest in a good home system and watch everything at home with family and friends. At the safety and comfort of home, without noises or any dangers or anything

Back