A Ghost Story - by David Lowry (director of Pete's Dragon)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
9/10

The perfect pallet cleanser in a sea of formulaic CG blockbusters.

Be warned, if you've experienced death or divorce then some scenes may open wounds as they are *extremely* raw emotionally. But always genuine and never manipulative. I don't even want to spoil what kind of movie it is because it's such a treat to watch unfold.

I will say this though, it is slow and emotional with extremely long (and QUIET) single shot takes. Yes there is a pervasive ghost element but that's all I'll say.

Lowry does it again.

I can't wait to see this. I've been waiting for it to come to my area since it's limited release. Glad to hear it was good.

They did a pretty cool viral with this last month (that unfortunately I lost), where you could win ghost sheets. :lol :rock

Oh did they? Ha that's pretty funny.

I probably should have said to skip the trailers if you haven't already. I don't know what they spoil since I haven't seen any but this definitely is a movie to watch as cold as possible.

Oh did they? Ha that's pretty funny.

I probably should have said to skip the trailers if you haven't already. I don't know what they spoil since I haven't seen any but this definitely is a movie to watch as cold as possible.

Yeah, they have a store in NYC where you can schedule appts. to try on ghost sheets. :lol The on-line sight had you give 8:19 seconds of your life (by holding a button down - if you let up, the time stops) and they had you watched this montage along the way. They would only offer 5-15 sheets at a time though at certain times on certain days, so you had to time it such that the clock hit 0 when the store restocked online to get one. It was pretty tough. :lol

It moved from a downtown art house to one of our big AMC theaters so I assumed that meant it was playing everywhere. But when I checked further I then saw that it's basically ONLY playing on that one AMC near me and boxofficemojo says its on about 350 screens nationwide. It's out there, but definitely not a "wide" release by any means. $500,000 gross in three weeks with a $26,000 theater average, come on A24 bump up that distribution so we can discuss it online, lol.

It moved from a downtown art house to one of our big AMC theaters so I assumed that meant it was playing everywhere. But when I checked further I then saw that it's basically ONLY playing on that one AMC near me and boxofficemojo says its on about 350 screens nationwide. It's out there, but definitely not a "wide" release by any means. $500,000 gross in three weeks with a $26,000 theater average, come on A24 bump up that distribution so we can discuss it online, lol.

I guess I'll have to wait for the blu-ray release. :lol

It might even play as good or better at home. I say that because there are some *extremely* long stretches of no sound at all, and if you have a lame or immature audience I can see people using that as an excuse to giggle inappropriately. I half expected that during my showing but luckily it never happened.

A Ghost Story...

...I can't rate this, If ever there was a movie that I needed to see twice to wrap my head around, this is it. Right now it's too fresh and needs to gestate a while.

I will say it is completely original, and if your one of those people who constantly complains about regurgitated plots, endless sequels and reboots, and cliche filled films, you should at least give this movie a try. It won't please everyone, actually, most who watch it probably won't like it or have the patience for it. It has elements of Romance, sci-fi, and drama wrapped in a philosophical sheet, but it doesn't approach those genres in a way you've seen before.

Also, the ending is the type that will beg for answers where answers aren't really important, much like Lost In Translation.

Very little is ever said in this film, but when words are uttered, you better listen up, because they are tantamount to the story, or concept of what is happening.

:clap :rock

So you were okay with the ending?

Spoiler Spoiler:

:clap :rock

So you were okay with the ending?

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah, I mean his suffering had to end eventually.

There will always be the side of me that wants to know what Bill Murray said to Scarjo, or what was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, but would knowing serve the story?

Agreed. And I really liked that since

Spoiler Spoiler:

Agreed. And I really liked that since

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

A24 has become a bastion of quality, outside the box filmmaking.

Back