• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

eBay situation =/

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkjedi4c

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to plead my case here to hear some opinions and thoughts, even though I know the seller never wins on eBay.

So I sold my MMS205 this week that had an arm that was loose, I couldn't confirm whether or not it was broken without removing the costume which I didn't want to do since it is attached to the body. So I explained what was wrong to the best of my ability and offered to take more photos (which I did) and the seller seemed like they were okay with it. I made sure to check beforehand in my messages insisting that I did not want to sell if they were not comfortable with it because we have an all sales final, no refunds/returns policy. Now the seller wants a full refund with a return or a $50 refund to keep, saying the arm is broken. I was going to respond after I got work to see if we could negotiate but he sent another email demanding to settle everything quickly which was irksome, especially since I was still at work and unable to respond yet.

I wanted to see what your thoughts were with the evidence below and whether I should negotiate a smaller refund, say $30? Or if this guy seems he'll bent on the full $50.

I wanted to let them know that I had no intention of cheating them out of anything, I even mentioned on the listing that I wanted to make sure they understood everything before bidding. I did not know whether or not it was broken, I knew it came loose if pulled on, but it could be pushed back into place, elbows still articulated, shoulder could rotate 360, etc. I even provided photos. I just want to know what you guys think I should do, and if they're trying to cheat me out of more money. Thanks!
8e0f5dfdf38dd35fa1c544148f5a975f.jpg
f0c80be15615a11fb17be128f731f78b.jpg
d8d618d481df0c9ee10e2ca471557b2a.jpg
b9eda0289416bb61a9efcf30c663544a.jpg
a56ea530fa23f280a44c1ab7790aadb8.jpg
641b4a2704055c574bb99ef9e2a674d7.jpg
8c16eb9b41b0dc960bf0fc10533cdfa3.jpg
fefbfc231f9aa4380f9d38c4f1e752ca.jpg
a2df86a090fa575db7cde01fdeb4cf20.jpg
80063d0af79643259d82697c48b2a650.jpg
fb9ef89b6a181a58215aca790c9c8f92.jpg
deca5ee72e02ae3ae6660df8bdb933ba.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sounds like buyers remorse. He said he will keep it with a refund meaning he wants this for a bargain and taking advantage of the situation.

You didnt lie to the guy and described the item exactly how it is.

I would NOT issue a refund.

Be careful, buyer almost always wins any eBay or PayPal dispute. Best to pay out a partial refund and move on.

They even filed a return request just as I got home and was responding to their messages, sigh. I explained that I had mentioned the issue beforehand and sent photos and offered to take more and that they still agreed and were satisfied with it, so I negotiated for a $30 refund instead.

They even filed a return request just as I got home and was responding to their messages, sigh. I explained that I had mentioned the issue beforehand and sent photos and offered to take more and that they still agreed and were satisfied with it, so I negotiated for a $30 refund instead.

Even though I'm siding with you, I think the $30 refund was the best move. Now you can move on. It sucks though. smh

Don't sell damaged **** on Ebay. You should get a membership upgrade and sell here. This guy probably plotted out the "knock this off" price extortion bit the second he bid on it. I'm not saying every member here is a saint, but its a hell of alot better than dealing with random Ebay turds. :lecture

Even though I'm siding with you, I think the $30 refund was the best move. Now you can move on. It sucks though. smh

Thanks for the advice guys. $30 wasn't enough, he wants $40 now for a done deal, should I accept it? Or try talk to eBay about it first? Sucks too because of the fees... I'm worried now too because someone else made an offer on another item, albeit not broken but brand new, I'm now on edge of what kind of schemes they might try to pull there as well, if any.

Don't sell damaged **** on Ebay. You should get a membership upgrade and sell here. This guy probably plotted out the "knock this off" price extortion bit the second he bid on it. I'm not saying every member here is a saint, but its a hell of alot better than dealing with random Ebay turds. :lecture

I tried to sell on a facebook group but I've had no luck with any buyers, only a ton of low offers despite setting prices below www.collectht.com or the eBay sold items sales, so when this buyer seemed interested and was okay with everything, I was relieved, was not expecting this. sigh

And now they want the full refund, even though I provided photos of the arm bend at that point and said I wasn't sure if it was broken or not because you could still plug it back in and bend the elbow.
704c0dc7045d5ec6c636ba499f5066bf.jpg

Taking the chance that eBay will side with you more than likely won't be worth it. I'd just have him ship it back, give him the refund, then block him from being able to bid on your auctions.

:lol @ refund immediately.

Have to ship back your broken dolly first.

And those pics suck. Are you sure it is broken? I don't know which body HT used on this. Elbows and knees can pop out and nto be broken. Remove that gauntlet and roll the sleeve up.

Be careful, buyer almost always wins any eBay or PayPal dispute. Best to pay out a partial refund and move on.

Actually this is not true... if you contact eBay and speak with them I've found them to be surprisingly reasonable. I recently had a few people try and pull similar crap and I just explained very clearly to the the eBay rep what was happening and how I had been thorough in my listing and that my policy was as-is; no returns. They sided with me in every case as I was able to tell them about the transaction and provide the documentation of the convestations with the buyers.

On top of that, the buyers then left retaliatory feedback and I was able to get that removed... which was also satisfying as I know it pissed the buyers off to know end :lol

I think per the rules of the return request, I would have to pay for the shipping back.

That is true, with eBay the general rule is if the item is returned due to damage, not being accurately described, etc. then the seller eats the cost of shipping both ways. So I'd never do that unless you truly made an error in selling.

This person is clearly trying to screw with you and wants to see if you will give him a better deal. Also, his last statement about "still giving you positive feedback" is actually a threat. eBay is very clear that it is not appropriate for anyone to use feedback as leverage and this is what the buyer is doing here. Call customer service, speak to them very calmly and politely and see what happens.

And if you don't already do it always list items (not matter what they are) as "item is sold as-is, with no returns" and be sure to check the box that says no returns. It's not a guarantee that you are protected; but can sometimes make the difference between who eBay sides with.

Actually this is not true... if you contact eBay and speak with them I've found them to be surprisingly reasonable. I recently had a few people try and pull similar crap and I just explained very clearly to the the eBay rep what was happening and how I had been thorough in my listing and that my policy was as-is; no returns. They sided with me in every case as I was able to tell them about the transaction and provide the documentation of the convestations with the buyers.

On top of that, the buyers then left retaliatory feedback and I was able to get that removed... which was also satisfying as I know it pissed the buyers off to know end :lol

That is true, with eBay the general rule is if the item is returned due to damage, not being accurately described, etc. then the seller eats the cost of shipping both ways. So I'd never do that unless you truly made an error in selling.

This person is clearly trying to screw with you and wants to see if you will give him a better deal. Also, his last statement about "still giving you positive feedback" is actually a threat. eBay is very clear that it is not appropriate for anyone to use feedback as leverage and this is what the buyer is doing here. Call customer service, speak to them very calmly and politely and see what happens.

And if you don't already do it always list items (not matter what they are) as "item is sold as-is, with no returns" and be sure to check the box that says no returns. It's not a guarantee that you are protected; but can sometimes make the difference between who eBay sides with.

I had the exact opposite experience, and I even got my first negative feedback from the deal. Buyers have all the power in my experience, and the no-returns policy is not enforced.

Thanks for the advice guys. $30 wasn't enough, he wants $40 now for a done deal, should I accept it? Or try talk to eBay about it first? Sucks too because of the fees... I'm worried now too because someone else made an offer on another item, albeit not broken but brand new, I'm now on edge of what kind of schemes they might try to pull there as well, if any.

Now he's just bullying you. For starters, the buyer should never the the one to instigate a partial refund- that's the seller's discretion. I've received a lot of stuff on eBay that were either poorly packaged, or the condition wasn't as described and I would always ask the seller on what the best COA would be. If a return is required, so be it.

Sometimes (well, mostly) the seller would offer me a partial refund on an amount of their choosing, to which we tend to reach a mutual agreement. I just can't imagine a buyer being the one to say, "Hey, y'know what? I wanna keep this but I also want some money back off you. Twice".

I would say just get the figure back, refund the amount once you do and/or give eBay or Paypal a call. You might be surprised that while they DO usually take the buyer's side, they also listen to the most polite and courteous of the bunch.

Last edited:
Now he's just bullying you. For starters, the buyer should never the the one to instigate a partial refund- that's the seller's discretion. I've received a lot of stuff on eBay that were either poorly packaged, or the condition wasn't as described and I would always ask the seller on what the best COA would be. If a return is required, so be it.

Sometimes (well, mostly) the seller would offer me a partial refund on an amount of their choosing, to which we tend to reach a mutual agreement. I just can't imagine a buyer being the one to say, "Hey, y'know what? I wanna keep this but I also want some money back off you. Twice".

I would say just get the figure back, refund the amount once you do and/or give eBay or Paypal a call. You might be surprised that while they DO usually take the buyer's side, they also listen to the most polite and courteous of the bunch.

My sweet-talking ways were powerless against the non-native English speakers at CS I had to deal with.

Is it even worth trying to explain the situation to eBay to get their feedback, or just do the refund?

:lol @ refund immediately.

Have to ship back your broken dolly first.

And those pics suck. Are you sure it is broken? I don't know which body HT used on this. Elbows and knees can pop out and nto be broken. Remove that gauntlet and roll the sleeve up.

s-l1600.jpg

The elbow and shoulder joints will still articulate but where the arm would rotate at the bicep where the elbow joint connects to the upper arm is where it was loose. I would have to articulate the elbow and then push it back into place, it wouldn't stay there on it's own, hence my description of it being loose and separated.

I actually did put that in my description as well:

"
Hot Toys MMS205 Captain America Star Spangled Man version Toys Fair Exclusive 2013
from Captain America: The First Avenger

Displayed but in Good Condition (***Read Description***)

***WARNING*** His right arm (the one NOT holding the shield in the photos) is loose for some reason, can't remove the blue/white cloth uniform to see if it's broken or why it's not connecting, but can be popped back into the arm socket to stay in place as appears in photos. (Last photo shows the point where the arm is loose) Sticker notes are attached to shield. Comes with all accessories in original box and shipper. All sales are final, so make sure you are okay with this before placing a bid.

Will be sold and shipped AS IS in original shipper. Enjoy! And be sure to check out my other auctions!

Winner, please await invoice before sending payment, and please send payment within 4 days of winning auction or an automatic Non-Paying Bidder case will be filed.

NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING unless it is covered by the Global Shipping Program. Otherwise, buyer must be willing to pay for USPS PRIORITY INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS SHIPPING. Please contact me first if you wish to do so.

Bidders with zero or low feedback please contact me first before placing a bid. Delivery Confirmation will be provided. NO RETURNS/REFUNDS! ALL SALES ARE FINAL! Thank you!"

Back