Did PhotoBucket effect your posting of pictures.....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IKE-CON

Super Freak
Reaction score
PB killjoy.jpg
I've already seen this picture above hit several threads I subscribe to.

Though I have not been effected by it yet(because I have pay account), the whole
we're freezing all free accounts, so either upgrade to a pay account or go away, might kill the whole site.

I get it, the business model they had was unsustainable and they needed to change it.
But they should have made it more practical to upgrade. Basically saying anyone without
the highest level pay account, will not be able to have 3rd party hosting of pictures.

These are your choices below now.

Choose the plan that’s right for you and enjoy the premium member benefits.

Plus 50 offers 50GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting $59.99

Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting $99.99

Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and 3rd Party Hosting* ad free browsing $399.99

Plus 500 members receive all of the above, PLUS dedicated url and support

Even the pay account I have(Plus 20, which is not even offered anymore) has to upgrade if I want
to post any new pictures to all the forums I'm on, ebay and any other place with 3rd party hosting, unless
I upgrade to the Plus 500, which is $400/year. Or just put in links with the Plus 100 service for $100/year.

There are millions of PB accounts effected by freeze already, with more to come.

I think if they just made linking & 3rd Party Hosting at every level with limits on each, they could have converted
a ton of the free accounts to pay. But with the blogs, on-line businesses, forums and ebay losing 100's of thousand
of pictures, PB may have just sealed their fate.

What do you think?

I have lots of old pics there, and can't see them anymore. But it's a private site. They can do what they want with it. For a few years now you got bombarded with spam when you entered the site. I guess this is the next logical step.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Looks like Photobucket all of a sudden wants $400 a year, if posting the links of the hosted photos to other sites or to forums. It is not the first time Photubucket screwed their members. Long ago I was a paying Photobucket member, and still they deleted 90% of my photos, and I was not alone in this, it happened to a lot of people, including RPF and Prop Den members. I will not pay them a dime anymore, they can go frak themselves.

Webshots was another site that shot themselves in the foot (pun intended) - they were also a free of charge hosting site like Photobucket, but long before them. Years ago they decided to change their name, moved to a new site and you could only get your photos back if you paid them. I didn't do it, and neither thousands others. IIRC in less than a year after the name change, Webshots came back to the original domain name, but they already lost thousands and thousands of members, and Webshots never recovered from that hit - something they only have to thank themselves for ...

If you have a computer, you just directly post them from there.

I've never relied on just one source for my pictures, even before I went to PB.
I have an external back up 2 TB drive I store all my photo's on, plus on my computer and
I was using PB as a backup. It was easy to use PB, they gave you 5-6 types of links you can
use for multiple formats. That was very handy for commerce sites(ebay,amazon) which took
multiple formats. So I will miss the ease of use.

Does Imgur have built in format links to copy-paste?

If you have a computer, you just directly post them from there.

I've never relied on just one source for my pictures, even before I went to PB.
I have an external back up 2 TB drive I store all my photo's on, plus on my computer and
I was using PB as a backup. It was easy to use PB, they gave you 5-6 types of links you can
use for multiple formats. That was very handy for commerce sites(ebay,amazon) which took
multiple formats. So I will miss the ease of use.

Does Imgur have built in format links to copy-paste?

No but click on the pic and press open and just copy it from there. The link should look like i.imgur...blah blah blah.

Photobucket locked me out of my own account, despite me knowing the correct login. I've used Postimage ever since and never had any issues.

Photobucket won't even load right now. I wanted to download my images and move them some place else but can't even view the site properly.

I was thinking about their Plus 20 deal lately.
Now it's at least $60, no linking, no 3rd party posting, not even ad free?
Holy ****...

Yeah, they're out of business for sure. Sad.

I've been too accustomed to using this kind of service for free. I just can't bring myself to pay for it so when I can be arsed I will sign up to imgur or something.

I used it just the other night with no issue. Now I'm afraid to even check it. This will blow once it hits me but I have no issues with migrating to another site. They'll just lose customers because no one in their right mind would pay those prices.

I'm not surprised or upset they have to do this - in hindsight, it was kind of inevitable - but it's impressive how badly they messed up the change. They should have been transparent, let the users know this was happening and let them decide what to do at least a few weeks in advance. They also should have started with cheaper pricing because they're asking a silly amount of money per month. You have to build up to that pricing.

Back