Saga Madness: Round 2 (Final Four) - ROTJ vs ROTS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which "Star Wars" film is your favorite?

• REVENGE OF THE SITH

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • RETURN OF THE JEDI

Votes: 38 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
The 3rd film in each trilogy square off to see who gets into the finals...

2. REVENGE OF THE SITH

vs

3. RETURN OF THE JEDI

I am really going to have to think about this one. I am an OT guy for the most part, but ROTS was the best of the PT and ROTJ was the weakest of the OT IMO.

I love ROTJ, but I have more fun watching ROTS.

So I have to say Revenge is better than Return.

I'm an OT guy as well--- but ROTS comes in just by a nose. I rank it third and Jedi a close fourth. I love the opening sequence in space---- Grievous, while somewhat of a throwaway character in the mold of so many other possible baddy greats (Boba, daddy Jango, Darth Maul, Dooku), is still one of my favorites. Palpatine's turn... Mace dying... Yoda versus the Emperor (a little nod to current and past politics)... the climactic lightsaber duel which was choreographed to perfection... and not a teddy bear in sight :D .

Revenge of the Sith is at the height of the overall story's action and deals a crushing defeat to Return of the Jedi. Not even Jabba's awesome slugginess can help pull Jedi to the top.

Another close call, but I'm going with Jedi. The entire Jabba scene, speeder bikes, the final duel and the unmasking of Vader. A much more emotional movie for me.

Some of the acting in Sith was cringe inducing and I'm still very unsatisfied with the death of Padme. On the other hand, the action scenes were amazing.

This is one I really need to think about. Two of my all time favorite films. There is so much that I love about both and a few things that irk me as well.

ROTS...the dialogue wasn't as bad as in AOTC or TPM and I liked the transition of Anakin from good to bad in this movie. Also, this movie had one of the best scenes in all of SW movies.....when Anakin force-strangled Padme. About time someone shut that **** up!:D

Neck and neck, so far.

This will obviously be the most interesting (and closest) matchup of the whole thing.

tough, my only problem with the OT is I seen them a million times its nice to see something fresh and the Emperor was great in ROTS, so I cannot choose. All's I now is the phantom menace is the worst becuase of Jar Jar.

Man, it had to come to this. It's going to take me all the way up until the last day of voting to make this choice, I love them both so much but for different reasons that you can't weigh against one another. It's too bad we can't control these polls so only people who voted in round 1 could vote in round 2, keep the numbers balanced cuz I'm sure there will be some late in the game. Which do I like more, emotional confrontation of father and son leading to the demise of evil and the redemption of a soul, or the splitting of two brothers in an emotional duel to a fiery death and a fall from grace, man oh man, this vote is going to be the death of me.

I have no problem watching the OT again and again. It's the PT that I could only sit through a couple of times. They don't stand up to the test of time.

MaulFan said:
Man, it had to come to this. It's going to take me all the way up until the last day of voting to make this choice, I love them both so much but for different reasons that you can't weigh against one another. It's too bad we can't control these polls so only people who voted in round 1 could vote in round 2, keep the numbers balanced cuz I'm sure there will be some late in the game. Which do I like more, emotional confrontation of father and son leading to the demise of evil and the redemption of a soul, or the splitting of two brothers in an emotional duel to a fiery death and a fall from grace, man oh man, this vote is going to be the death of me.

Well, if it helps MaulFan, Jedi has Jabba, but RotS doesn't have Maul.

I personally voted RotS. I just thought it was great. By far the best of the prequels. I've never been much of a RotJ fan, but I have liked it more as the years go on.

Well here's how things stack up for me, very crudely summed up, why I fell in love with each film.

ROTJ
-First time we saw a green lightsaber
-Luke's best wardrobe in the trilogy (my opinion)
-First seeing the intricate workings of Vader's helmet
-The Emperor
-The most heavily involved space battle of the trilogy
-Speeder bikes
-New, fun creatures in the Ewoks (say what you want about them now, but to a 4 year old they were cool)
-The revealing of what lay beneath Darth Vader's helmet
-John Williams score to Luke's final confrontation with Vader and Luke being Sith Lightninged to death and saved by his father.
-Jabba the Hutt and his palace menagerie
-The Rancor
-The union of 3 Jedi friends in the spirit world
-The fun Ewok celebration song (pre Special Editions)
-Han Solo in Carbonite and coming out of it
-Leia as Boussh (always enjoying seeing characters out of their element)
-Princess Leia looking beautiful in her slave girl outfit

ROTS
-A thrilling space battle (while not the ROTJ battle it was originally set to be before editing, I think it was a visually fun ride with the pans and dives of Anakin and Obi-Wan's fighters.)
-Anakin's wardrobe and hair (loved the scar, the gauntlet was very cool, the darker Jedi robes were nice too, and even the hair I liked)
-Ewan McGreggor's fantastic final portrayal of Obi-Wan Kenobi, giving us the noble, awe-inspiring Jedi Knight the OT left us to think he once was
-The amazing design of General Grievous giving us another unique and visually appealling character
-The new Jedi Starfighters, great looking ships, probably my favorite one-man vehicles of the saga
-Ian McDiarmid's amazing performance as Palpatine, he always brought an A game to each film, but he really shined his talents in this film
-Mace vs Palpatine lightsaber duel
-Diverse clonetroopers (I like stormtroopers and AOTC clones, but these guys really ranged in armor and all and had some amazing designs, Commander Cody my favorite of all)
-Seeing the legendary eradication of the Jedi Order
-Natalie Portman making pregnancy look sexy
-Mustafar, a wonderfully pieced together world that looked splendid every second it was in frame
-Yoda vs Sidious in the Coruscant Senate Chamber
-The bridges to the OT, such as the reappearance of Tantive IV
-The construction of Anakin Skywalker's body into Darth Vader
-Seeing the early stages of the Death Star's construction
-A great score from John Williams, especially all of the music used for Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel
-And last but not least, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, the duel we dreamt of seeing for years since merchandising told of how Vader came to be, and the most amazing lightsaber duel of the saga, and ya, Maul lover is ranking this one over the Maul duel

Jedi is pulling ahead----- This could be somewhat of an upset... (ROTS has that newer car smell for so many)

Well, I made up my mind, and as much as I love ROTS and my SSC Obi-Wan made me light up to get it finally, SSC Luke and Jabba just touched upon me so much more. I don't think I consider either one better than the other, but there's an emotional love and attachment for me to ROTJ that'll never go away, that is THE Star Wars movie for me.

Back