Buffy the Vampire Slayer Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxed Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IheartBuffy

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Just announced is a new boxed set for the entire Buffy series. Sadly, no blu-ray :crying BTW, I'm completely jealous of anyone attending Comic-Con, it sounds like an absolute blast for Buffy fans!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entertainment Weekly: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Here's how to celebrate its 20th anniversary
EW is exclusively revealing details about the show’s San Diego Comic-Con fan event
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 2:00pm EDT

Buffy the Vampire Slayer turned 20 a few months ago — but that doesn’t mean the celebrations have to end there.

This year’s San Diego Comic-Con will feature a fan event on July 22 that will allow all members of the Scooby Gang to not only participate in a range of Buffy-themed activities but also purchase new merchandise tied to Joss Whedon’s series.

The night’s events include both a Buffy Fandom Feud Trivia Contest and a Buffy Cosplay Contest, with fans testing their knowledge and cosplay abilities to win Slayer swag. Attendees will also be able to have some Buffy 20th anniversary cake and signature Slayer-inspired drinks while displaying their improv (and memory) skills as they try and recreate scenes from the show’s beloved musical episode, “Once More, With Feeling!”

Other episode-specific opportunities include a chance to take pictures with a life-size image of iconic “Hush” villains The Gentlemen. And while there will be giveaways happening throughout the event, social media-savvy fans of the show will get a chance to win an exclusive spell from the previously announced Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Official Grimoire (available later this year) stored in a small glass vial.

There will also be stations where fans can test out the Buffy table-top board game and interactive wall-sized Buffy coloring pages.

Those interested in attending can register on the official Buffy Facebook page, where portions of the event will be live-streamed.

Among the items up for sale (all of which will be released later this year) are:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxed Set
Go back to the beginning and relive all 144 episodes of Buffy’s story as she arrives in Sunnydale and proceeds to defend it from all manners of evil creatures, now all featured on this 39-disc set. Also included will be an issue of the official Buffy comic book with an exclusive cover, available only for a limited time. The DVD will be released Sept. 19.
oisenfi.jpg

Funko Rock Candy Figures
Best pals Buffy Summers and Willow Rosenberg will be released in August — perfect for anyone who wants to make their collection slay.
20th Century Fox
slfjeiei.jpg

Blu-ray is the only way I would get the complete series again, so I'll just stick with the box set I have.

I'm still shocked that there weren't any Buffy reunion cons this year. Blows my mind.

As for this set, since I already have the DVDs, I'm set. But I love seeing new stuff. Looks great!

What is it gonna take for them to try to do all that rescanning and get Buffy on Blu? Are Buffy fans numbers THAT small? I feel like it's one of the seminal shows of genre and deserves it.

What is it gonna take for them to try to do all that rescanning and get Buffy on Blu? Are Buffy fans numbers THAT small? I feel like it's one of the seminal shows of genre and deserves it.

I would love for it to happen, but I won't be holding my breath. I'll stick with my DVDs for now. I'm still pretty content with those.

The series has already been remastered for HD TV, gorgeous clear picture quality, the issue is that the coloring is wrong and the non-widescreen seasons have been turned into widescreen and you can see cameramen and set extensions in certain scenes, its a mess. I believe the company, PIVOT, did the transfer.

I doubt we'll ever see it done properly, uncropped for a retail release sadly.

In saying that, the DVD editions could use a cleaner transfer anyway, if this set had that id consider getting it but I hear this set is simply the old discs re-packaged.

The series has already been remastered for HD TV, gorgeous clear picture quality, the issue is that the coloring is wrong and the non-widescreen seasons have been turned into widescreen and you can see cameramen and set extensions in certain scenes, its a mess. I believe the company, PIVOT, did the transfer.

I doubt we'll ever see it done properly, uncropped for a retail release sadly.

In saying that, the DVD editions could use a cleaner transfer anyway, if this set had that id consider getting it but I hear this set is simply the old discs re-packaged.

Bummer

Yeah, those are awful. I've seen some of the comparisons. The show wasn't made for widescreen. And the color sucked.

I just want to be sure that there will probably never be blu rays. I have not bought Deep Space Nine or Voyager on dvd because I want to be sure they will never hit blu ray before I finally do it. I have Buffy and Angel but my dvds are getting kinda worn and I'd love to upgrade to Blu but that's never gonna happen, I'd consider buying these at some point.

What about Angel? Has there been any discussion whatsoever about it going to blu or does it have the same problems as Buffy?

I just want to be sure that there will probably never be blu rays. I have not bought Deep Space Nine or Voyager on dvd because I want to be sure they will never hit blu ray before I finally do it. I have Buffy and Angel but my dvds are getting kinda worn and I'd love to upgrade to Blu but that's never gonna happen, I'd consider buying these at some point.

What about Angel? Has there been any discussion whatsoever about it going to blu or does it have the same problems as Buffy?

Noone has given any sort of definite answer on anything, so there's no guarantee.

There has been a fan petition for a BR release for the last few years that has gained the attention of some of the cast and crew of the series, even Joss commented on a blu-ray release a couple years ago via Twitter saying that he'd love to see one but it's out of his hands, Fox owns the rights to the show, not him. At the end of the day Fox will be the one saying whether a br release will ever happen, they have never acknowledged the petition or mentioned any future br release for Buffy.

What they have done is let the anniversary slip through their fingers for a chance to get a BR release, they released all other kinds of merch, they even went to the effort of re-packaging the series on dvd, but nothing for BR. And even the HD transfer they are using now for re-runs on TV is sloppily put together.

Fox may not have officially said no to a BR release, but seeing how they treat the Buffy property, its obvious they don't care enough at this point or any point in the near future to do a professional and proper transfer of the show for the fans.

We thought it may happen after the X-Files got released on BR, but nothing since then.

I guess there is the possibility one day, but i honestly wouldn't hold my breath.

The funniest thing is the new Buffy dvd boxset is MORE expensive than the X-Files blu-ray boxset. How stupid.

Back