Italy anime collection goes way back in history?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
Any Italian folks here? Just wondering, why Italy seems to have a long history of Collecting stuffs from Japan? Seems other countries in Europe & US didn't really caught up with the hobby until much later on.

Notice Japanese cartoons especially the Robot shows are very popular there, and i'm not just talking about ported versions like Robotech, they got almost all the popular robot shows in Japan, and i notice japanese toy collecting has always been a big thing there.

Yeah, anime and Japanese Otaku culture is huge in Italy. Square Enix hired a group of professional cosplayers for FFXV. They even decorated the outside of one of their trains.

Yeah, anime and Japanese Otaku culture is huge in Italy. Square Enix hired a group of professional cosplayers for FFXV. They even decorated the outside of one of their trains.

those that has zero hints on Italy collecting culture can just either go elsewhere or stop commenting. i know Italians been a big fan of Robot shows since the 70's, you can find alot of italian sites dedicated to old robot toys while most people still collecting Hasbro Star Wars & GI Joes.

i tried googling but not much result, probably in Italian. I believe there are Italian freaks hanging around here, even though this aint' exactly Anime oriented collecting place.

Your surprised. They do this in Paris and London to. Europe is closer to Asia after all.

Your surprised. They do this in Paris and London to. Europe is closer to Asia after all.

London? no way. i've been to London, Japanese stuffs are pretty much non-existent. Even now, it's not that common. They are more on western mech shows & superheroes.

France yes, but it's still bigger & way earlier in Italy.

I know there are some licensed product only available in France market, for example Space Cobra Rugball PVC statue, but it pales compared to Italy.

And another hint is if you browse online animes, you noticed alot of files which are subbed in Italy and not available in English. We're talking about the late 70's where the show is relatively new even in Japan and there's no internet of cable tv from Japan.

Well London is t as big but you have a lot of fans of anime there

those that has zero hints on Italy collecting culture can just either go elsewhere or stop commenting.

Wait. I'm confused if you were aiming that towards me or not. If so, I was agreeing with you that it is big in Italy. I find it cool too since I'm half Italian and half Japanese (yet I live in Canada).

Wait. I'm confused if you were aiming that towards me or not. If so, I was agreeing with you that it is big in Italy. I find it cool too since I'm half Italian and half Japanese (yet I live in Canada).

no, i'm agreeing with you, and added my opinion on some of the clueless folks here. sorry if it made you worried.

very little information has been documented on the internet regarding Japanese influence in Italy though. maybe only in Italian not english, but i'm surprised no books or magazine talks about it. i know there are books about Japanese influence in the US, but it was so big in Italy but seems no one outside Italy has a clue about it.

if you browse ebay, you can also see there's alot of Italian sellers selling Japanese stuffs there. Both Vintage & New.

The anime crazy in Italy started in April 1979 with Grendizer (Goldrake). I read somewhere once that such cartoons were so alien to Western culture, they had a little presentation before the episode aired, explaning a bit the anime amd manga phenomenon in Japan. It proved crazily popular among Italian boys. The theme tune was a chart hit, selling about a million copies. Other robot shows like Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger quickly followed. Many of them were snapped up by regional TV stations; I suspect they were quite cheap to buy from the Japanese. When I was a kid growing up in the early 80s, anime was all you could watch, or almost. They also had American stuff like MOTU and MASK, but that was always much more peripheral.

Best thing was, the regional channels never bothered censoring anything, back then. So you'd see Tiger Mask being poked in his eyes, eye white flying, head repeatedly hit with the bell, etc etc. It was hugely entertaining, but also educational in a way, in the sense that many of those plots were quite adult by childrens standards.

Regarding the collecting pat, I presume people will collect toys based on the stuff they watch. American kids collected He Man. Italian kids collected Daitarn III stuff.

Also, please note that France had Grendizer a year earlier (in fact the Italian version stuck to the French naming conventions, for the main characters). I'm not as familiar with the Franco scene as I am with the Italian one, but I suspect anime was massive here too, judging by the DVDs and Blurays I see them selling there.

First post, long time lurker, by the way. Hi.

The anime crazy in Italy started in April 1979 with Grendizer (Goldrake). I read somewhere once that such cartoons were so alien to Western culture, they had a little presentation before the episode aired, explaning a bit the anime amd manga phenomenon in Japan. It proved crazily popular among Italian boys. The theme tune was a chart hit, selling about a million copies. Other robot shows like Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger quickly followed. Many of them were snapped up by regional TV stations; I suspect they were quite cheap to buy from the Japanese. When I was a kid growing up in the early 80s, anime was all you could watch, or almost. They also had American stuff like MOTU and MASK, but that was always much more peripheral.

Best thing was, the regional channels never bothered censoring anything, back then. So you'd see Tiger Mask being poked in his eyes, eye white flying, head repeatedly hit with the bell, etc etc. It was hugely entertaining, but also educational in a way, in the sense that many of those plots were quite adult by childrens standards.

Regarding the collecting pat, I presume people will collect toys based on the stuff they watch. American kids collected He Man. Italian kids collected Daitarn III stuff.

Also, please note that France had Grendizer a year earlier (in fact the Italian version stuck to the French naming conventions, for the main characters). I'm not as familiar with the Franco scene as I am with the Italian one, but I suspect anime was massive here too, judging by the DVDs and Blurays I see them selling there.

First post, long time lurker, by the way. Hi.

cool, great that i made you post your maiden post.

why did i say Italy was the biggest fan in Europe, because the amount of subs you see online, and the amount of collectibles you see coming from Italian sellers and also the amount of participants in Robot toy forums just blow the rest of the western countries off. I agree France is probably the 2nd biggest fan in the West, but still pales compared to Italy. though nowadays it's pretty common.

i remember there was a time where you can only find Daitarn 3 & Daimos in Italian subs and nothing else. Even now some Robot shows only available in Italian subs.

Back