Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: WATCHMEN TV Series in the works at HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by SNIKT1950 View Post
    The Leftovers. The end.
    I'll look into it. But Prometheus and Lost....well they sucked.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content
    Questing for: SS Big Chap Maquette, SS Queen 1:4 Bust, SS Alien Diorama.

You probably won't like The Leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkion View Post
    Fair warning. Cheers!

Hidden Content

Super Freak
    Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by karamazov80 View Post
    Many years ago, well before Snyder, or even Paul Greengrass, this was an idea Terry Gilliam had. It makes sense, but to do it right they need to toss what the film did out the window IMO. And honestly, I'm a lot less interested than I was back in the early 2000s about such a thing. The comic is a masterpiece, and will never be rivaled. How much added value could a TV show, or movie, really bring to that story? For me, not a lot.
    It's not about "added value" tho.
    I'd just love to se a straight book-to-live-action thing with voices and music.
    Same with VforV - the book is so perfect you don't even need stupid script/story board to make an awesome mini-series.
    It is more difficult to talk about things and events (instead of persons), because this requires a certain amount of intelligence, reflection and information. If we are to talk of things, we must know something about them. (c)

Many years ago, well before Snyder, or even Paul Greengrass, this was an idea Terry Gilliam had. It makes sense, but to do it right they need to toss what the film did out the window IMO. And honestly, I'm a lot less interested than I was back in the early 2000s about such a thing. The comic is a masterpiece, and will never be rivaled. How much added value could a TV show, or movie, really bring to that story? For me, not a lot.
    I'm actually wondering if they're planning on drawing on the expanded watchmen universe from when they gave the characters their own mini series' a couple of years ago.

But otherwise I'm with you. Alan Moore in the 80's was a man of singular vision - anger, resentment, poignant story telling. That atmosphere is just gone now.

Buuuut me thinks they're questing for dollars rather than give Alan Moore back is propperty. "No! You can't have it! We're still using it!"

Like how Fantastic 4...

Hidden Content

Ham and Egger MODERATOR
    Feedback
    86 (100%)
    I doubt seriously that Moore would do anything with the property even if rights somehow reverted to him. He's stated many times that he does not see the point or value in turning these comics into movies and TV shows and spinoffs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteerpike View Post
    I'll look into it. But Prometheus and Lost....well they sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkion View Post
    Eeh. . .I guess I'll have to pass as well, then. Lost was a pretty fun ride until it went way off the rails in the last season, and the less I think of Prometheus the better.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDDICK View Post
    It's not about "added value" tho.
    To me it is. For several few years now I've not seen the point of watching classic comics turned into animated features, and haven't even bothered to watch them. If I hadn't read the source material, that would be another thing. Or, if they took lots of artistic liberties a la Kubrick with the Shining, I would also have more interest. I would hope for the latter with Watchmen, because as I said, they're not going to bring anything more meaningful or fulfilling to that original story than what we already have.

I doubt seriously that Moore would do anything with the property even if rights somehow reverted to him. He's stated many times that he does not see the point or value in turning these comics into movies and TV shows and spinoffs, etc.
    Oh no question. He's numerous times stated if it wanted a work in another medium he would have made it in that medium to begin with. But this is his right as the creator, he's no obligated to do anything with it if he doesn't want to. Which as a fan is a mixed bag since it's nice to have new things, but I can't help but feel DC is making money off of something they didn't have to earn. I'd rather Moore got a slice of the pie even if he was crusty about it, but DC won't do that.

Hidden Content

Ham and Egger MODERATOR
    Feedback
    86 (100%)
    Given that Moore is, by far, the most important comic writer of my lifetime, I also wish he was able to get more of what he really deserved (putting contractual agreements aside ) from these properties. But on the other hand, if he had control, they may have never re-released anything Watchmen-related since the '80s, the originals would cost an outrageous sum of money, and many who love the story now would never have been able to experience this amazing story to begin with. And once upon a time, there was no one more excited about the prospects of a Watchmen movie than me (I had the wallpaper promoting the aborted Greengrass film as my computer background for the longest time way back in the day), though obviously my opinion has changed on that measure. So. . .there are some positives to DC retaining the right to do whatever they choose with the story. Unfortunately, the spin-offs and whatnot are one big negative side effect of course.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    8 (100%)
    To me it is.
    It is more difficult to talk about things and events (instead of persons), because this requires a certain amount of intelligence, reflection and information. If we are to talk of things, we must know something about them. (c)

Star Frak
    Feedback
    342 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSteerpike View Post
    Oh great....Lindelof....so is going to dither around for 5 seasons, raise more questions than it answers, pose questions no one ever thought of or cared about before getting cancelled?
    Exactly - most of Lost and the Leftovers are overrated.