Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asmus

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
ok,
I have this idea, that we should get it off our way before Gimli is ready to show you.

Root beard/Hair or not ??

Are there examples to see? Hard to know the issues without seeing a sample.

In general, I'd like to see real hair (rooted) as well...

We have Saruman, Gandalf and now Aragorn with real hair. I think Gimli's worth the go.

Last edited:
Haired only if possible. You should make both the hair and beard rooted or sculpted, not half and half. It may be difficult to achieve it with rooted so if its not possible don't sacrifice the details and stick to sculpted.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I think the beard may be ok if rooted. But I will always default to sculpted hair. Boromir is a great example. The exact same sculpt, but the sculpted hair bears the stronger resemblance. Same with the Big Chief Amy figure.

HMMMMMM... tough question. So many braids! Maybe 50/50? Sculpted braids and the rest rooted?

Gimli-gimli-11402627-960-404.jpg
Gimli1.jpg
200130-gimli-007.jpg

Rooted please ! If it's possible, of course.
Sculpted beard would restrict head movement/posing too much.

Thought this Legolas comment was appropriate here in regards to "braids" --

I would suggest don't try,
like we previously discussed on the thread, the braids are the problem. I can assure you there is no factory skill at moment to tie a real hair by hand that will be 1/6 scale accurate. Not for leggy's at least.

But trust me, like it happened in the last 10~20 years, one day this will be overcome, and when it does, we will be onto it.

To note, since braids are impossible, then I assume this argument also applies to Gimli... in which case, real hair bear mixed with plastic braids would not be the ideal choice for me.

I would have to say sculpted beard then.

Looking for reference pics. Is there any examples of 1/6 figures with real braids? The only one i have is Boba Fett lol.

BOBA.jpg

If rooted can work, absolutely, but, as was said earlier, maybe a hybrid might be easier to pull off only because of the braids? Completely rooted would be awesome, though. But it's gotta be right.

Rooted beard and hair, please. Since in this way the figure will have greater realism and much better mobility. I understand that it can be a difficult process but I know that you put all the love in each piece, taking into account our suggestions, something that I thank you enormously. I have in preorder Legolas and the new version of Aragorn in Thebrownbox, a store in my country, despite not being very happy with the hair sculpted, so I would appreciate that in the future you would contemplate the possibility of offering a head Legolas alternative with rooted hair, just like you did with Aragorn. Thanks for listening.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Someone did and outstanding rooted Hot Toys Thor head. And there is also Daenerys from 3zero.

So these two, thanks! The real obstacle is applying this concept to a face without it looking weird/Barbie-ish lol. I wouldn't even try doing a mustache that way.

THOR.jpg
DANY.jpg

Rooted for sure. You have to find a way to make it work. There is always a first time.
;)

I'm hoping for rooted hair, but my choice is always whichever looks better, which is very subjective. It would be great to see the rooted hair before the choice is final though. It is hard to judge without seeing anything.

Rooted please, even if it cost more to make it right I'm willing. I've seen at least one custom gimli that was fully rooted and looked incredible, of course custom versus factory isn't a fair comparison but I believe you guys can pull it off. Other wise, sculpted beard and rooted hair

My initial response was "rooted" but I have a feeling that it may not be possible to get all of the braids and hair looking good, especially in 1/6th scale.

So I have to agree with Wor-Gar that fully sculpted may be the best looking option, at least at the moment.

Please no half and half. rooted hair with sculpted beard or vice-versa would not be my choice.

I would prefer to see a proto of each option but in the absence of that my preference is either all rooted (only if it looks good) or all sculpted. Half and half would be my least desirable outcome.

I would happily pay more for an all rooted option if done to a high standard as rooted will better serve the articulation and can look more realistic. Maybe offer each as you have done with boromir?

Thanks for asking for our comments Asmus

Back