Question about a QC issue with the Hot Toys Joker Purple Coat version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokentoys86

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure anybody interested in this figure has heard about how the coat can leave stains on the figure. I'm curious as to how widespread the problem is. Thus far I've only seen one collector on YouTube that has had the problem. I can't get any answers out of Hot Toys or Sideshow on the issue. It's not like the Deadpool figure HT made last year; where a lot of people who got the figure found a QC issue, thus letting me know how prevalent it was.

I would like to know if anyone has seen any stains on the white shirts they have been using as well.

Last night I noticed very slight staining on the inner elbows. A couple of things to note about the figure and the jacket. The elbow joints are VERY tight, with is great, but it also means that they don't exactly glide into position. There's a lot of tight friction there. The jacket itself is beautiful, but the sleeves are very tight. I didn't see any other staining anywhere else, and I don't expect to anywhere without those tight joints. I think it's the movement, not just the fabric on the skin. I will also say that if I hadn't specifically looked for it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Futurion said he would give us an update on the white shirt under the jacket in a few days.

On a related note, I went to TRU today thinking I could grab a cheap Barbie/Ken shirt or something for this- I don't need a nice-looking, well-tailored shirt, after all, just some sleeves, really. No luck.

There are a few white shirts listed at toy anxiety. I picked up a sideshow storm shadow undershirt. It was very thin so I am hoping it will do the trick.

My Joker has been wearing the jacket for 24 hours now with no significant staining. His arms are mostly straight, which I suspect helps.

Ugh. I'm so tired about all the hate. Figure is amazing, real gem in DC collection. I plan to take off the coat today, after a few days, to see if there are any stains.

Mine doesn't have any new staining and the coat has been on for a few days now. It does seem to be a friction issue. I've got a white shirt coming in next week so that I will feel better about reposing with bent arms though. And, man, at first I wasn't crazy about this head sculpt, but in hand and in natural light, it is amazing.

All the people hating on the figure and not buying it are missing out, the head sculpts for them all are some of the best.

Staining from darker colored clothing is a common thing among many 1/6 scale figures, not just this figure or just with HT. Many of the instruction sheets that come with HT figures warn about particular articles of clothing on some figures leaving potential staining.

Update: I got a reply from Sideshow. They ran tests on the figure and didn't find that the coat could stain the figure. I pressed them for specifics on what they did, they said they did everything to get the coat to stain the figure. It is a vague answer I'm not sure if I believe them.

I started thinking about how the first batch of figures that get released in Hong Kong sometimes have problems. How many of you who have had the staining issue got the figure from Hong Kong on first release? The guy on YouTube I mentioned got his straight from Hong Kong, when it was first released there. That was back in April. Sideshow didn't get the figure till the end of May. Do you think the problem got fixed before it was released outside of Hong Kong?

Update: I got a reply from Sideshow. They ran tests on the figure and didn't find that the coat could stain the figure. I pressed them for specifics on what they did, they said they did everything to get the coat to stain the figure. It is a vague answer I'm not sure if I believe them.

I started thinking about how the first batch of figures that get released in Hong Kong sometimes have problems. How many of you who have had the staining issue got the figure from Hong Kong on first release? The guy on YouTube I mentioned got his straight from Hong Kong, when it was first released there. That was back in April. Sideshow didn't get the figure till the end of May. Do you think the problem got fixed before it was released outside of Hong Kong?

I replied to the other thread... my theory is that the coat had time to completely dry in the time span of the HK release and here. At least that is what I am hoping.

SSC is not the manufacturer of these figures. I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Their "professional" opinion on the intricacies of these figures is no more valid than yours.

To me, their vague "they tried everything" response essentially translates to they didn't run any "tests" and are just telling you that to convince you there's no QC with your figure at all.

I don't have this figure, but I have had staining from the dye in clothing on other figures in inconspicuous places.

Back