Hasbro SW30ANN basic figures reviews...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedibear

Figuring it out
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Since there are a few folks around here who still add these figures to their collections, here's a look at the first of 'em...

Star Wars 30th Anniversary Collection
WAVE ONE Figures 01 - 09

At last, the new collection of basic figures celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars is arriving in stores. Featuring a radical departure in cardbacks and the return of an old pack-in, the line starts as many of the Hasbro lines have...with hold-overs from the previous collection, new figures featuring interesting characters, worthy re-issues and the start of a new sub-collection that should thrill older collectors all year...

The collection starts with something old and something new....it's an album to collect the new pack-ins: coins depicting the character featured as the figure. This concept was introduced to Star Wars figures in the "final" Star Wars figure collection back the the Eighties, the original "Power of the Force". It's an inspired nod to nostalgia (it is an anniversary after all!) to revisit it now.

The album is nicely done...heavy cardboard stock covered with a laminated glossy paper that folds out to feature a handsome mural depicting the entire saga. The photos are well-chosen and the mural is a nicely balanced collection of all the main characters in the saga (although I did notice the interesting omission of Jar Jar in the "Episode One" portion). The cut-outs for the coins are numbered 1 - 60 for the figures, plus 20 "blanks" for extras & "chase" coins and it is durable and sturdy.

The album is packed with the carded figure number one...Darth Vader. He is a re-issue of the figure collectors have seen a lot over the last couple of years...it's a good figure, but I hope it is "retired" for awhile after this. The set is reasonably priced...just about $3.00 more than the average carded figure, and while being a practical and fun way to keep the coin collection in order, makes a great backdrop for a collection.

Before moving on to the rest of this assortment, a word on the new cardbacks. They feature a new, dynamic design for Star Wars...die-cut cards with lots of points and corners that feature striking bold graphics and artist's renderings of the characters on the front along with well-done character bios and a list of the other figures in the wave. The bubbles are flat again for easy stacking, with a slight re-enforced ridge to help prevent easy crushing. Now the sad part...these die-cut cards LOOK great but with all of those edges, it's guaranteed that MIC collectors are in for some headaches trying to find these without dinged and bent corners and edges. Shelf-time on these will NOT be kind...

Now on to the rest of the figures:

02 Galactic Marine - at first glance this looks like a repainted, cobbled together of Snow Trooper & clone parts, but it's actually a new figure featuring good articulation. The maroon paint scheme seems a little intense compared to their onscreen appearance and it doesn't quite match the color used on their Commander (Bacara), but they make a good addition to the ranks..

03 Mustafar Lava Miner - Hasbro continues it's much-appreciated great care in rendering a "background" character with fantastic detailing, well-done (and well-hidden) articulation allowing a variety of poses and a great, scene-specific accessory. Well done, Hasbro! Now can we get that "floating" platform as an accessory some day?

04 R2-D2 - It must be hard for Hasbro to come up with ways to keep offering us this central character and keeping it fresh and fun. This version succeeds quite well. Utilizing the retractable-leg body with the best detailing, they've added better looking jets and a scene-specific stand that works with the SBD figure. The paint scheme is a little overboard, but it's a solid figure that should provide kids with some fun and collectors with an interesting display piece...

05 Obi-Wan Kenobi - the first real "kit-bash" of this new collection, this is a cloak-free version of the popular "pilot" version featuring a new head sculpt that has already picked up some unflattering nick-names on some discussion boards. Suffice to say, it doesn't look that bad, especially with the "breather" accessory in place. This is the weakest release in this wave...an obvious effort at just keeping a core character in release without a lot of effort.

06 Mace Windu - I'll get this out of the way first...this is the BEST version of this character as a figure yet. Styled after the great "Pilot Obi-Wan" from the ROTS line, this figure features great, well-hidden articulation, one of the best rendered cloth cloaks ever on this scale of figure, and a great, easily removable lighting accessory for the saber. While many head sculpts of this character over the years have been overly dramatic, this one features a stern, but neutral expression that looks good. My only nit with the head is it's design prevents it from looking down...taking away the chance to have the figure posed with even more of that Windu attitude...but this is a very minor nit...don't let this excellent version of this character go by...

07 Airborne Trooper - Like the Marine, this one looks pretty close to a kit-bash, but the superb treatment, including the unique helmet and accessories make him stand out. The one thing about his bandolier and satchel however...they severely limit this figure's posing opportunities...no "on one knee helping a fallen comrade" poses here. But the idea of pressing the pistol into the reverse side of the satchel is inspired. One interesting observation...standing him next to Cody in a display shows how "short" Cody is as a figure. The Airborne trooper is a welcome additon to any "Utapau" inspired clone display...

08 Super Battle Droid - this was a character that needed re-visiting as a figure...the earlier versions featured weak plastic that warped easily and would not stand along with a limited sculpt. This new version addresses some of the issues...better, harder grade plastic allow this version to stand unassisted. The torso now features a little more articulation, as do the arms...the gun-hands now swivel to look more movie-accurate. The figure's sculpt is sharper and more detailed, as is the paint application...black highlights better accent the ridges and surfaces of the droids' body. This version also features snap-on "flames" to re-create the confrontation scene with R2D2 and also connects to that figure's stand to complete the scene. A worthy remake of a great army builder...

09 McQuarrie Signature Series Concept Stormtrooper - This waves ends with a bang...the re-release of a fan-favorite that got a short shift on it's first go-around. Many collectors were unable to secure this interesting figure but now, not only is it back (featuring an updated and more contrasting paint scheme), but it heralds the introduction of a new sub-theme in this year's line....figures based on the amazing concept art that started the saga by the great Ralph McQuarrie. Each wave this year will feature a different classic character rendered in this unique style. The cardbacks are also unique...a grid-pattern backs the logo and McQuarries' portrait graces the back of the card while his concept art is featured on the front. It's a great acknowledgment to both the artist and the life-long fans of the saga...bravo, Hasbro.

Enjoy the anniversary...and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing JB. I got my Vader #01 from SWS today, I have to say, I expected a cheaper quality to the collector coin album, but it's made very well and the imagery on it is fantastic. Sadly, all of the stores around me are full of peg warmers, I went to a Walmart that opened a few weeks ago and they had like nine 30AC R2's but non one else, they were already picked clean :( hopefully this won't be too hard to collect.

I also thank you for sharing, JB.

So far, I have the Galactic Marine, Airborne Trooper, and (as of today) McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper. Here's my in-depth review of the Marine (my favorite of the bunch):

https://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/hasbrogalaticmarinereview2007.htm

Thankfully, it's the last review with my old camera. My new one is able to take crystal clear close-ups of the 3.75 inch line.

The Airborne Trooper and Concept Stormie...I'm not as impressed.

I will be on the lookout for the McQuarrie Boba Fett, but I don't think it will be that easy to find around here. All I have seen so far is the Marine, Obi-Wan, and R2.

I found the McQuarrie Stormtrooper at a KB. It was worth paying the extra buck or two, since I think it's going to be hard to find.

pickard said:
I found the McQuarrie Stormtrooper at a KB. It was worth paying the extra buck or two, since I think it's going to be hard to find.

Yeah, he is the only one I haven't found yet. I keep promising myself not to get any more of these little guys with all the big ones Sideshow is cranking out, but I know I can't pass up the McQuarie line since I'm fairly sure we won't be seeing many (if any) of them from Sideshow (maybe a con exclusive?). I got a weak spot for those clones though, but I must be tough. :eek:

I picked up 6 items from the TAC today. I really like the Walmart Treachary on Salemacai battle pack.

I also picked up the Album and it looks cool.

I need to find the Troopers and Mace plus the TRU Bantha and Target order 66 2 packs to be caught up.

BUMP--- Merely as I picked up figure #1 over the Easter break and while the Vader is a rehash of a pointless version (Hasbro saving $$$ and gutting the SW fans once again) the coin booklet is a must have for the awesome mural. I've got it behind my SS SW collection and it really looks good.

If you get the chance I strongly recommend that you pick up the coin booklet (as well as the MacQuarrie concept figs--- but that's just a personal choice).

DarthNeil said:
BUMP--- Merely as I picked up figure #1 over the Easter break and while the Vader is a rehash of a pointless version (Hasbro saving $$$ and gutting the SW fans once again) the coin booklet is a must have for the awesome mural. I've got it behind my SS SW collection and it really looks good.

If you get the chance I strongly recommend that you pick up the coin booklet (as well as the MacQuarrie concept figs--- but that's just a personal choice).

Yeah, that mural on the coin album is worth picking up.

Of course, it figures that the few Hasbro offerings I'm going to try to get this year (Mcquarrie) are the ones that are going to be the hardest to find.

I hope in '08 that we get some figs from the Dark Horse "Legacy" series. I totally recommend picking it up to anyone with even the slightest interest in EU stuff.

Nice reviews - Mace and the Galactic Marine are my favs - past on the Miner and Obi-Wan. R2 (combined with the Battle Droid) makes a fun mini scene

can't wait to see your Wave 2 review. There's the good with the Bad.....still looking for Concept Fett - but, I love the Pilot Biggs (great reuse of a pretty good body).

Thanks for the kind words....yeah, I'm lookin' forward to givin' the second wave the once-over....but we seem stalled up here on wave one, with Obi-Wan & R2 doing major pegwarming duties so far...

I haven't bought a Hasbro 3 3/4 figure in nearly 10 years but when I dropped on the McQuarrie Fett in my local ASDA ( U.K equivalent of WAL-MART) I just had to grab it ! It's a great looking figure and for once it'll be staying in it's (excellently designed) packaging . Of course , now this means that I'll not be satisfied until I've hunted down the Stormtrooper as well ! Just when you think you're out , they drag you back in!! ( Adopts shouty Al Pacino mannerisms and gestures ).

I finally found my Biggs the other night! I was psyched up! I can't wait for the Biggs in the next wave.

The only other one I've gotten is a McQuarrie Stormtrooper. Still looking for Fett.

The McQuarries and Biggs x2 are all I'll be getting this year. To be honest, that's a lot more than I've bought since before Ep. II.

Anyone have a Fett to trade? I do have an extra Stormtrooper.

Send me an IM if you do.

I'm still looking for a Fett for myself.

In the new Star Wars Insider are pics of the McQuarrie Vader and Holiday Special Fett figures.

Is fett out yet? I thought only the first wave was out.

I think he's been showing up at a few places and those who ordered on the secondary market have recieved cases already.

Hey Mfoga, where's a good place to go around S.Cal. I keep running into all these damn scalpers down here in Santa Ana! The OC sucks for new figs...at least if you have a regular J O B and dont crawl the stores all morning and night! :)

The first wave was released here in Canada a month in advance of the release in the States so I was able to snag each one of the first wave (including the MacQuarrie Stormtrooper). I also live close to the border with the US where there's a collector-friendly Wal-Mart devoid of other collectors so I'm looking to snag as many of the MacQuarrie figs as I can from there--- Unfortunately they're still clogged with '06 figs still so no sign of the '07 line yet.

Batty said:
I'm still looking for a Fett for myself.

In the new Star Wars Insider are pics of the McQuarrie Vader and Holiday Special Fett figures.

Fett's definitely out. I saw most of the figures from the wave at a TRU the other night. That's when I picked up Biggs.

If anyone wants to do a swap Stormie for Boba, let me know.

I managed to pick up a Airborne Trooper, Galactic Marine, and the McQuarrie Stormtrooper a couple of days ago. These are a b**ch to find, out of several trips to Wallmart I only found one of each, they had several dozen of those stupid R2s and Obi-Wans, it's the only thing I see on the peg.
I'm still looking for the Salemacai battle pack with the speeders, I've never seen that one.
I own the original MCQuarrie Stormtrooper, but I like the new paint apps on the re-release and would like all the packaging to match on the concept figures.

Back