General Manga Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Plissken

40s "men" still cry about being bullied here
Reaction score
I'm surprised there wasn't one... although this section is almost always dead.

I just finished the Guyver Manga a few weeks back and I want to get into something new. I might start Blade of the Immortal since I've heard good things about it.

I haven't read many Mangas, but I quite like the samurai style stories since I finished Vagabond last year (it's not finished since it's on indefinite hiatus) and thought it was fantastic.

I tried reading Blade of the Immortal way back when it was first published in English but I didn't get into it. Too many speed lines in the art.

If you want to read the samurai epic to end all samurai epics, I can't recommend Lone Wolf and Cub highly enough.

I tried that but I hate that the art is reversed for English readers.

It's really just a minor annoyance (although, it does become a bit laughable on the fencing scenes). But, regardless, you're practically missing out on one of the greatest pieces of modern Japanese literature...

I love horror manga. Mostly everything by Junji Ito, hehe.

True. That's why it's only a Captain. :lol

A friend introduced me to Junji Ito just after I graduated college, and I've since read a bunch of his stuff online :lol. It really amazes me how creative Japanese horror writers are. They really have a unique taste on creepy, supernatural elements.

Yep, they're incredibly creative. Ones you watch or read good Japanese horror you just can't take anything else serisouly. In modern terms, of course.

I didn't know what the hell to read, so I decided on reading Vagabond again. I only read it once so far. Inoue is such a brilliant artist.

Unfortunately it's going to be one of those Mangas that never gets finished due to health issues with the creator.

Been catching up on Platinum End, from the creator and illustrator from Death Note. An alright Manga, which obviously takes many of the morality angles from Death Note and repackaged it, but in a constructive and original way. It's no where near the level of DN, but is serviceable at least. There's quite a few fantastic character designs that come later on that I would love figures of.

Anyone read Planetes by Makoto Yukimura? I recommend picking it up if you're into space fiction, primarily the psychological aspect of it. It's short too, only 26 chapters.

I may give the Anime a go, since it's apparently vastly different in some of the plot but still liked.

I'm not sure what to read next. I was thinking about Tokyo Ghoul since that's given quite a bit of praise, but I also was thinking about reading Vinland Saga since it's the same Mangaka that did Planetes. That has a Berserk level following from what I can see.

I hear the anime is actually vastly superior to the manga for Planetes, haven't gotten round to either yet. If you haven't read Akira, you should definitely give that a look. I'm also going to throw out a recommendation for a relatively new manga called No Guns Life. Hasn't updated in a while but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

64HA5lm.jpg

Back