Larger "detolf" Style Glass Case?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayiw

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the glass case in this video can be purchased from? I have never seen this before but it looks similar to a Detolf but wider and possibly the shelves can be adjusted? It also looks more sealed so possibly there would be less dust. Sorry to post this video due to it being totally off topic (other than the glass case). I started it to where he shows the display case. Thank you!!

https://youtu.be/afWSgGlFoss?t=1m32s

Sucks. I need more detolfs but I do not have the room. 2 of my detolfs are in spots where I could use a wider one like the one above instead. Putting two detolfs together in those spots is just too wide. I think Ikea would make a small fortune from us collectors if they made a "double" detolf.

Hi there, I scanned Craigslist religiously for my area (Bay of San Fran) and eventually found this unit for $100. Its 72" tall and 14" deep and 27" wide. As you can see from the pic it has support rods 1/2 way up as well as four other vertical rods for the shelving. The shelving supports are adjustable in height.

IMG_5625.jpg

I just started mod'ing the unit.

Step 1: Picked up a pair of 4" and 2" L brackets from Ace Hardware, painted them white, painted screws white and then used the larger ones to anchor the top of the cabinet to the wall. The two smaller ones were used on each side of the base to stabilize the unit ... it is San Fran after all!

Step 2: I used some white silicone glue to fill in the gaps between the glass plates and the wooden base and top. Masked off the glass and bases and then inject the sealer into the gaps and then remove the tape; nice a clean.

Step 3: Used grey 1/4 and 1/8" weather strip foam to seal the edges of the door which is in the right side of the cabinet.

Step 4: Added clear silicone bumpers to each of the shelf supports so they don't clank against the glass.

IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

Step 5: I was concerned about the glass shelves sitting on the metal supports as it was quite smooth and slippery.

IMG_5614.JPG

So I got some 3/8 tygon tubing and cut pieces to create sleeves for each support.

IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

So still have lots more to do, not the least of which is lighting. Cannot find any LED channel material that will attach to glass without using double sided tape so might have to 3D print some clips to attach to the glass shelves.

Attachments

• IMG_5612.JPG
    IMG_5612.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 208
Back