Bride of Frankenstein Reboot (February 14, 2019) Directed by Bill Condon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApeManRyan

Super Freak
Reaction score
j0wv2f.jpg

Universal has set a date for Bride of Frankenstein, and debuted the first photo (see it above) of the stars it has assembled for its shared universe, the newly titled Dark Universe.

Bride of Frankenstein, from director Bill Condon and screenwriter David Koepp, will open Feb. 14, 2019. In a statement, Universal chairman Donna Langley described the project the "story of a very modern woman in a very classic tale." Universal said casting for the lead character, first played by Elsa Lanchester in the 1935 classic, will be announced soon.

The studio is pushing ahead with its cinematic monsters universe as it readies to release The Mummy in theaters June 9. The reboot stars Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe, and Sofia Boutella. It is directed by Alex Kurtzman.

Assembled in the first-look photo of the Dark Universe stars are Johnny Depp (The Invisible Man), Javier Bardem (Frankenstein's Monster), Cruise (Nick Morton), Crowe (Dr. Jekyll), and Boutella (The Mummy). Crowe's Dr. Jekyll is set to provide the glue linking the films together, with his mysterious organization Prodigium charged with tracking the world's monsters.

Universal has also released a logo and sizzle reel for Dark Universe, which draws from the studio's long history of monster films dating back to the golden age of Hollywood.

Dang, we're getting Bride of Frankenstein before Javier gets his solo flick? Smdh.

I can't believe they're doing this... creating a Marvel Universe out of old leftover Monsters. They got some serious names too. Must be spending a boatload to create their Universe... but I wonder how many kids will really care? This idea seems dated and doomed.

I was lead to believe Dracula Untold was the start of this Universal Monsterverse?

Was planned to be like that at first, but it under-performed, so it isn't part of the universe. They are talking about making another Dracula movie.

I can't believe they're doing this... creating a Marvel Universe out of old leftover Monsters. They got some serious names too. Must be spending a boatload to create their Universe... but I wonder how many kids will really care? This idea seems dated and doomed.

c1aaf2da334d6b4be167f0119ed85d77.jpg

Was planned to be like that at first, but it under-performed, so it isn't part of the universe. They are talking about making another Dracula movie.

Too bad, that will be a waste. Seems easier to just keep it, despite it under performing. Give it a soft reboot sequel and they could probably save it. Maybe even throw in Del Toro's Wolfman and really get this off the ground running.

Despite being way too young to appreciate them, I grew up on the Universal Monsters and appreciated them despite my age. So them doing an MCU with the monsters is a dream come true to me. I'm hoping against all hope it works out.

The only "good" idea I see here is Depp as Invisible Man. That seems right up his alley... although he'd probably make a good Jekyll/Hyde as well as a good Dracula too.

I just don't see this coming together. I mean, for today's audiences, maybe Drac (vampires) and a new version of the Creature (aqua-zombie) could be intriguing, but the rest... meh. We'll see how Mummy does. But... Monster Tracking with a secret Organization lead by Nick, uh, I mean Dr. Jekyll...?

And I loved all these Monsters growing up. But modern retellings and updates on these babies... making them superheroes like this new Mummy girl, with ridiculously incredible powers and become CGI's indestructible rubber like all the other meta-humans.

I'm so sick of meta-humans.

I think if they stuck to a October/February release cycle, they'd do better than trying to compete as a summer blockbuster. Release them at Horror film time, and I bet they'd do a bit better with people 'being in the mood' for them. I don't have high hopes for the Mummy, but Tom Cruise does get butts in seats for Mission Impossible films still, so he hasn't lost all star power yet.

I assume this 'verse will be much like DC's... very uneven, and full of disappointments.

Is there a list of the plan, like Marvel put out, that chart? Is there a plan? Sounds like they keep changing the plan when a film underperforms (Dracula). What if Mummy, despite Cruise, is a stinker?

Maybe this universe should get connected to the Godzilla MonsterVerse... they could remake Mad Monster Party as their Infinity War.

I assume this 'verse will be much like DC's... very uneven, and full of disappointments.

Is there a list of the plan, like Marvel put out, that chart? Is there a plan? Sounds like they keep changing the plan when a film underperforms (Dracula). What if Mummy, despite Cruise, is a stinker?

Maybe this universe should get connected to the Godzilla MonsterVerse... they could remake Mad Monster Party as their Infinity War.

Well, it won't be surprising if the whole "putting the horse before the cart" approach is taken. Most of the studios it seems just want to rush for the sake of getting their 'universe' established, without sufficient regard for the building blocks. Honestly, I miss the days when franchises were made to be their own seperate entities. These days we mostly end up with just a puddle of mess.

This whole Universe-building has gotten way out of hand.

I wonder how long until another country breaks out with a whole 'new wave' of films that changes everything? Maybe China.

All too true, sadly. The reality is that these days Hollywood by and large is only capable of putting out reboots, spin offs, book based films, re-imaginings, etc these days. Hardly anything comes out that is new and captivating. Groundbreaking movies? Not in todays Hollywood world.

Maybe a couple trillionaires from this new generation of rich google kids will one day buy the failing movie companies from their respective conglomerates that have run them into the ground and (will eventually) want to cut them loose from their bottom line, and maybe -- just maybe -- these new tech owners will make the studios reliant on good material again (or at least not based on brand recognition only)?

I can't think who else has the money to, ironically, "save the studios". :lol

Back