Universal's Dark Universe (Monster Universe)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/mons...em-as-frankensteins-monster-confirmed-a151319

Universal Pictures has just announced that its rebooted series of classic monster movies will be known as the Dark Universe, and will kick-off with next month’s The Mummy.

The studio has also officially confirmed that The Invisible Man and Frankenstein’s Monster will be played by, respectively, Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem, who will join Tom Cruise as Nick Morton and Russell Crowe as Dr. Henry Jekyll. The entire team is pictured above with Sofia Boutella, who will play the The Mummy of the title.

In addition, it's been announced that Bill Condon will direct Bride of Frankenstein, which will be the next film in the series and is set for release on February 14, 2019

7jtBoBJ.jpg

Why do they need to be connected? It's not like they are adaptations of literary material where all those monsters shared the same universe. It sounds like they're trying to play off "Freddy vs Jason" silliness as if it were the Avengers or Justice League. I know the general public isn't very sophisticated but come on.

Why do they need to be connected?

Cbm6Mnr.jpg

It's not like they are adaptations of literary material where all those monsters shared the same universe. It sounds like they're trying to play off "Freddy vs Jason" silliness as if it were the Avengers or Justice League. I know the general public isn't very sophisticated but come on.

To be fair, Universal sort of started the whole VS movies in the 1940's, so I can see why they want a share "universe."

I guess the Mummy is the Black Widow of the team :lol

I wonder who Samuel L Jackson is playing in this movie? :monkey3

Universal sort of started the whole VS movies in the 1940's, so I can see why they want a share "universe."

I know, and then later Toho did the same. But all of that culminated into Freddy vs. Jason and the AvP films, not The Avengers. Unless it's something that really fits (like cbm heroes) AND is used very sparingly then they are just creating stagnation for all of their IP's at the expense of what is now a tired novelty act.

Who wants to see the Mummy appearing in 2-3 movies a year (once in a standalone, then again as cameos/villains in other monster films?)

I know, and then later Toho did the same. But all of that culminated into Freddy vs. Jason and the AvP films, not The Avengers. Unless it's something that really fits (like cbm heroes) AND is used very sparingly then they are just creating stagnation for all of their IP's at the expense of what is now a tired novelty act.

Who wants to see the Mummy appearing in 2-3 movies a year (once in a standalone, then again as cameos/villains in other monster films?)

Maybe they're building towards a Monster Squad reboot?

monster-squad-1.jpg

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back