Sideshow Alien 1:2 Scales....any more?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSteerpike

Super Freak
Reaction score
First off, I'm going to apologize straight off the bat as this will invariably be a repost - I just find it hard extricating old threads from this site and have no memory of this ever being a topic. So if it is, please, forgive me.

2002331-alien-big-chap-001.jpg
rk57vc.jpg

So, anyone remember these guys? I do. I bought both of them! I love the absolute bejesus out of them! They're a great, convenient display size, big but not too big, small but not too small. Sculpted with a neck, shoulders and base...it's just the right amount of Alien for me at a price point that didn't give my financial advisor palpitations. Everyone was a winner.

Does ANYONE know why SS stopped with just these two? I'd have jumped in again for the Dog (ahem, Bovine) Alien, probably, certainly if they did a not-to-series-scale bust of the Queen (I dunno, maybe like 1:4 or something so it was ultimately the same approximate size as these fellas). There's the ENTIRELY lineage of Prop Replica 1:1 scale heads from every film, including two, count 'em, TWO 1:1 scale heads of the warrior, with a different colour for the head. (yes, I understand that this isn't the same company as SS, but still...doesn't this imply a desire for this stuff if other companies are finding it (or at least believing it to be) fiscally wise to hammer out these items?)

Does anyone know what the deal here is? Was there no more licence to be had? Did they not sell well? Am I the only one wanting this stuff? (...those last 2 points probably mean the same thing...)

Help someone! HELP!

From what I know, both of these pieces sold ok but they had huge problems with the production quality resulting in large numbers of returns and refunds. Particularly on the Big Chap. There were problems with tendons snapping on both pieces, problems with the paint on the teeth, flaws in the casting, lots of problems with the dome on big chap, etc etc. I didn't end up getting either because of the amount of issues that others were having. I finally saw the Big Chap in person last year, and the one I saw was an absolute mess. The dome had imperfections all over it and there was large amounts of glue visible all over the join between the dome and the rest of the piece. It was also so cloudy you couldn't see the skull at all, and to top it off one of the tendons was snapped. Some people got good ones, but many didn't and that must have cost Sideshow a lot of money.

They've now changed the factory that they use for Alien/Pred stuff, so it's possible that they will make a Dog. However, the new factory seems to charge more judging by the price of the Wolf Predator LSB and that still hasn't sold out even with a small ES. So it probably depends whether Sideshow will see it as worth their time/effort to produce it.

From what I know, both of these pieces sold ok but they had huge problems with the production quality resulting in large numbers of returns and refunds. Particularly on the Big Chap. There were problems with tendons snapping on both pieces, problems with the paint on the teeth, flaws in the casting, lots of problems with the dome on big chap, etc etc. I didn't end up getting either because of the amount of issues that others were having. I finally saw the Big Chap in person last year, and the one I saw was an absolute mess. The dome had imperfections all over it and there was large amounts of glue visible all over the join between the dome and the rest of the piece. It was also so cloudy you couldn't see the skull at all, and to top it off one of the tendons was snapped. Some people got good ones, but many didn't and that must have cost Sideshow a lot of money.

They've now changed the factory that they use for Alien/Pred stuff, so it's possible that they will make a Dog. However, the new factory seems to charge more judging by the price of the Wolf Predator LSB and that still hasn't sold out even with a small ES. So it probably depends whether Sideshow will see it as worth their time/effort to produce it.

Oh really?! Wow. I had no idea! I actually ordered my Warrior from them and bought the Big Chap off a collector looking up up scale to the 1:1 - both are in perfect shape - guess I really beat the odds.

But it's a shame since initial sales would imply consumer contentment with the product design and the returns would reflect poor production quality. I really wish (or rather, hope) they don't take the wrong lesson to heart in this. It's ironic to me that I feel their design phase has been pretty poor the last few pieces (Alien Internecivus was the pose no one seemed to want or think all that highly of (or at least, found it a natural one for the creature to adopt. The King while confessedly is an impressive sculpt (in particular the base!!!) just fails to convey an understanding of what the creature means with respect to body horror and how gender functions with the films. Also as a non-canon piece, it was a hard pass for me a $1K. Most recently the pose of the new 1:5 alien statue seems to be much of a recycle of the original, right down to the 'surfing' pose.)

I get that most of these grievances are highly subjective; indeed, I may have just been venting. I just wish SS wouldn't misinterpret how the licence sells for them as being a refelction of the desire for the merchandise itself.

High cost may put people out, especially if they're changing factories which ultimately reflects a bump to the consumer end ticket.

This seems to be happening more and more though. The Brewing Factory had a dismal release of their Vampirella statue and even the re-release of the statue boasted what I'd term an unacceptable paint application.

Oh well. I guess we just have to patiently wait and see what the future brings us and we'll just have to cherry pick the pieces we like and mourn the time lost waiting for the pieces to are revealed to be disappointing.

Anyway, thanks for your response sir!

yeah production on these, especially the chap, was atrocious :|

also regardless if yours didn't have as many qc issues (some were ok) the tendons on the mouths just looked straight up like a cheap plastic action figure. They didn't even try to hide the connection points :|

yeah production on these, especially the chap, was atrocious :|

also regardless if yours didn't have as many qc issues (some were ok) the tendons on the mouths just looked straight up like a cheap plastic action figure. They didn't even try to hide the connection points :|

Agree on the tendons. They looked terrible, as did the teeth. I had both. Got a refund on Big Chap due to the amount of problems it had and how poor the final production finish was in comparison to the prototype, and ended up selling my Warrior. I think the Warrior had the better paintjob of the 2, but the tendons were horrible.

Oh really?! Wow. I had no idea! I actually ordered my Warrior from them and bought the Big Chap off a collector looking up up scale to the 1:1 - both are in perfect shape - guess I really beat the odds.

But it's a shame since initial sales would imply consumer contentment with the product design and the returns would reflect poor production quality. I really wish (or rather, hope) they don't take the wrong lesson to heart in this. It's ironic to me that I feel their design phase has been pretty poor the last few pieces (Alien Internecivus was the pose no one seemed to want or think all that highly of (or at least, found it a natural one for the creature to adopt. The King while confessedly is an impressive sculpt (in particular the base!!!) just fails to convey an understanding of what the creature means with respect to body horror and how gender functions with the films. Also as a non-canon piece, it was a hard pass for me a $1K. Most recently the pose of the new 1:5 alien statue seems to be much of a recycle of the original, right down to the 'surfing' pose.)

I get that most of these grievances are highly subjective; indeed, I may have just been venting. I just wish SS wouldn't misinterpret how the licence sells for them as being a refelction of the desire for the merchandise itself.

High cost may put people out, especially if they're changing factories which ultimately reflects a bump to the consumer end ticket.

This seems to be happening more and more though. The Brewing Factory had a dismal release of their Vampirella statue and even the re-release of the statue boasted what I'd term an unacceptable paint application.

Oh well. I guess we just have to patiently wait and see what the future brings us and we'll just have to cherry pick the pieces we like and mourn the time lost waiting for the pieces to are revealed to be disappointing.

Anyway, thanks for your response sir!

I have to agree about the poor design choices. Most of Sideshow's recent Alien/Pred offering leave me scratching my head. I'm glad to hear that you landed good copies of the Big Chap and Warrior busts. With better production quality this could have been a really successful line. If we're really lucky there might be something revealed at SDCC in July.

I have to agree about the poor design choices. Most of Sideshow's recent Alien/Pred offering leave me scratching my head. I'm glad to hear that you landed good copies of the Big Chap and Warrior busts. With better production quality this could have been a really successful line. If we're really lucky there might be something revealed at SDCC in July.
Agree. I love the reveals from major events. Hehe. Best time of the year to get my fan on. Lol.

Covenant probably saw some new pieces ushered onto their sculptors work benches. My only concern is if they'll be exclusively out of the new film or if they'll be working with older sources (ie. The original films) as well.

There's a new Predator movie in the works as well so there likely will be some new predator material on the horizon as well! So there's nothing if not hope for something good to come.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

The Big Chap I received was the only Sideshow item I've ever returned for a refund. Broken tendons, shoddy paint job...It looked like a glorified cooke jar. Don't miss it at all.

The Big Chap I received was the only Sideshow item I've ever returned for a refund. Broken tendons, shoddy paint job...It looked like a glorified cooke jar. Don't miss it at all.

Sorry to hear that :(

Agree. I love the reveals from major events. Hehe. Best time of the year to get my fan on. Lol.

Covenant probably saw some new pieces ushered onto their sculptors work benches. My only concern is if they'll be exclusively out of the new film or if they'll be working with older sources (ie. The original films) as well.

There's a new Predator movie in the works as well so there likely will be some new predator material on the horizon as well! So there's nothing if not hope for something good to come.

I don't think they would swap to only doing pieces from the new Alien/Pred films. Their Star Wars line is a good example. They are putting out Force Awakens and Rogue One pieces, but haven't stopped releasing OT pieces like Han and Luke as well. I'm actually waiting on the Prime 1/Coolprops reveals myself. I really like 1/3 scale for Aliens/Predators, so their line will be perfect for me. I actually just got in a 1/2 scale custom Dog Alien bust a few days ago too. I'm completely blown away by the quality and detail, but it did cost me a pretty penny. I must say it's made me interested in getting more custom painted Alien pieces though. I've never seen a paintjob that good before.

Sorry to hear that :(

I don't think they would swap to only doing pieces from the new Alien/Pred films. Their Star Wars line is a good example. They are putting out Force Awakens and Rogue One pieces, but haven't stopped releasing OT pieces like Han and Luke as well. I'm actually waiting on the Prime 1/Coolprops reveals myself. I really like 1/3 scale for Aliens/Predators, so their line will be perfect for me. I actually just got in a 1/2 scale custom Dog Alien bust a few days ago too. I'm completely blown away by the quality and detail, but it did cost me a pretty penny. I must say it's made me interested in getting more custom painted Alien pieces though. I've never seen a paintjob that good before.
Can I see that paint job bro? I think I know the one. ..but show me your baby anyway. ;)

Omg niiiice man.

Very nice.

It being out in the open like that makes me cringe though. I might kill someone if they bumped the table. Lol

Hahaha! Don't worry I had two barricades blocking off that part of the room so that people/my dogs were kept out. I just moved them to take some pics and video. I had to box him back up for a while anyway because I don't have a display space yet. It was really hard to put him away.

Hahaha! Don't worry I had two barricades blocking off that part of the room so that people/my dogs were kept out. I just moved them to take some pics and video. I had to box him back up for a while anyway because I don't have a display space yet. It was really hard to put him away.

That's good to hear man. Lol. Even still, he'd get dusty out in the open. That's a really nice piece man. That's what I thought it was. I tried to get one but the sculptor quoted me something like $500 or more for the kit alone. I'd have to drop that again for a paint job...and it's just a little too much for what I could accommodate, especially if the colours were not to my liking after dropping all that money. You should be (as you indeed sound) very happy with it. :)

He even matches your decor. lol.

My warrior was far from perfect, but it was leagues ahead of both of the Big chaps I received. The one I have now (an "inspected replacement") is fairly atrocious. I always wanted to see a Dog in the line, there were teasers of several other Alien LSB's, including a Resurrection Warrior and Grid from AVP. Whether or not they will actually happen is anybodies guess, the interest may have been there before, but if the Wolf LSB is to be the new price point, I can't see any other Alien or Predators selling too well.

EDIT, found it...

HpMKASf.jpg

My warrior was far from perfect, but it was leagues ahead of both of the Big chaps I received. The one I have now (an "inspected replacement") is fairly atrocious. I always wanted to see a Dog in the line, there were teasers of several other Alien LSB's, including a Resurrection Warrior and Grid from AVP. Whether or not they will actually happen is anybodies guess, the interest may have been there before, but if the Wolf LSB is to be the new price point, I can;t see any other Alien or Predators selling too well.
Feck.

It's such a task being a fan. Lol. "I" feel like my needs are simple. But millions of fans the world over have their own desires for merchandise. Lol.

Me needs a queen and a runner. Lol.

That's good to hear man. Lol. Even still, he'd get dusty out in the open. That's a really nice piece man. That's what I thought it was. I tried to get one but the sculptor quoted me something like $500 or more for the kit alone. I'd have to drop that again for a paint job...and it's just a little too much for what I could accommodate, especially if the colours were not to my liking after dropping all that money. You should be (as you indeed sound) very happy with it. :)

He even matches your decor. lol.

Yes, I think the kit was like $450 or something. I've bought some other custom pieces before so I wasn't surprised by the price. It was the paint that really added to the cost. But as you said I'm so happy with the final product that it was worth it to me. And yeah, he totally matches the decor! :lol

My warrior was far from perfect, but it was leagues ahead of both of the Big chaps I received. The one I have now (an "inspected replacement") is fairly atrocious. I always wanted to see a Dog in the line, there were teasers of several other Alien LSB's, including a Resurrection Warrior and Grid from AVP. Whether or not they will actually happen is anybodies guess, the interest may have been there before, but if the Wolf LSB is to be the new price point, I can't see any other Alien or Predators selling too well.

EDIT, found it...

HpMKASf.jpg

That looks really cool, thanks for finding it. I don't mind paying the higher price if the quality of the final piece reflects it. I think the production quality on the Wolf will probably determine the future of the LSB line.

The painter did a very good job on the 'membrane' effect on the sides of the dome.

Yes! That's exactly the word I needed when I was filming my video review. I just couldn't think of it!

Back