Sideshow Forrum getting bad rep.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highlander1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sideshow Freaks getting bad reviews is complete bull!
I been a member of the forrum a little while about 5 years or so and have nothing but Positive things to say about this place. I met a lot of Great Collectors and its where i found my LOVE of 1/6 figure's and ditched my 3/4 figure's. I found the Amazing ART and LOVE we Share in POP CULTURE , Movie's , Comic's and Music n Art of it all. I Feel Highly connected to other Fans that share same Love to Qoute movie's and share fun idea's on how to display to where to buy and custom creation's of Great Artists who go out of thier way to pick up make items the big company's forget to include to Movie props. I know we all dont all get along because we have a ton of passion for our hobby's in here ,but I LOVE how Fans pay so much attention to the little details to make it Perfect. Anyway i just think this place is AMAZING FORRUM and Thank DarkLORD Dave for this Sanctuary to us Fans to come here everyday and share our love of the hobby. I never would've met all these other collectors from all over the world if had not found this place and again feel very greatfull for this place. Again Thank you Sideshow Freaks you Rock!!!:rock:duff

What is this bad rep/reviews you talking about?

I hear from Time to Time some collectors from other Facebook groups downing the site. Example like today i Woke to BudgetStark saying was not part of the forrum because of bad experience from some thing i dont know why ,but i hear it from some once in a while and just thought its time to Stand up address the b.s issue. This place is Amazing for reviews to customs to great collectors trading and sharing news of new movie's comics new release's. I have nothing but LOVE for this site and very greatfull to share in the hobbys we share.

This is a good site but make no mistake, it is extremely catty. Look how many legit forum members have bailed...Budget Stark, Sideshow reps (and other independent companies) that use to post here...countless sixth scale artists (some legends).. The admin/mods allow forum members to dog the stars of the industry but, hey, we can't disrespect someone's inflated scalper prices in the bst thread...:slap

Just some of the reasons this site is seen as the Wal-Mart of sixth scale forums...

I love this place, to be honest. I think negativity overall has increased over the years, but honestly, that's how it is in many places. I was literally just reading another thread here similar to this one, and someone there said (in so many words) all of this competition among companies brings it out in collectors. People have more room to be choosy and with that, comes the criticism (and in many cases, the negativity). And I tend to agree. That's just my assessment, whether true or not.

Like I said though, this has been my 'home' for a long time. I love this place. You may need some 'thicker' skin in various threads, but I try to brush it off. I get all of my collectible news here - heck, even my movie news. :lol

I just wanted to share the LOVE back to this Amazing site i have always enjoyed. I feel like forrum's are kinda hidden gems better then FB bragging pics. Hey check out what arrived or see how much money i can spend, instead feel more passion here posting pics discussing films , comics life death etc...What ever idk what i want out of this thread other just give back love sharing of the hobby on a great Site. Again thank you Dave i would feel a loss if this place ever Vanished god forbid it.

This site is cossy but sometimes some members just annoying. Facebook otherwise is an absolute hellhole nowaday.

Just look how many people complaints and bashing like madman on HT facebook pages. Just crazy... That's make this site looks like an intellectual haven and open up for any discussion without some people bashing your head in.

I hear from Time to Time some collectors from other Facebook groups downing the site. Example like today i Woke to BudgetStark saying was not part of the forrum because of bad experience from some thing i dont know why ,but i hear it from some once in a while and just thought its time to Stand up address the b.s issue. This place is Amazing for reviews to customs to great collectors trading and sharing news of new movie's comics new release's. I have nothing but LOVE for this site and very greatfull to share in the hobbys we share.

Well, it looks like BudgetStark's video omitted half the truth. There was a time where all he does here was creating new threads with his name slapped on it. There would be new threads such as "Budget Stark: First Look Iron Man Figure" despite already having clear thread designated to said figure. He was less about participating in discussions and more about plugging his own Youtube channel.

Now don't get me wrong- I'm pretty sure the mods might have said that there's nothing wrong with that, but eventually a lot of members started to get irritated since he was clogging the forums- it comes off as cheap advertising and when confronted, his reasoning was something along the lines that he creates new threads because the dedicated threads moves so fast that his content gets buried. Again, not verbatim, since I don't recall much.

I believe that if you have good intentions, post your content on the relevant thread and it will get the attention it deserves. A good link will always get brought forward to the next page even months after it has sunk to 78 prior pages. I also believe a good Youtuber will always enable the "Like/Dislike" feature so that people can gauge the content without having to watch the video, something that BudgetStark has disabled.

Last edited:
I understand the bad rep.

I stay here because of the latest news and because of some people il Ike and respect, but that's about it.

I'm fed up with the disappearing posts or thread.

I'm fed up with people jumping at each other's throat for nothing and being unable to discuss anything civilly.

I'm fed up with the customs section that's become a harbor for greedy people taking advantage of others.

I'm fed up with collectors that just see collecting as an investment and only think about the resell value.

That board has become the shadow of what it should be and what it used to be: a place for friends and sharing for a great hobby, a place where collectors help each other's and not where they prey on each other.

Sadly, becoming huge is what it does. It's a reflection of our world, and since our world isn't such a good place, it's no wonder that SSF has lost its luster...

Well, it looks like BudgetStark's video omitted half of the truth. There was a time where all he does was creating new threads with his name slapped on it. He would create new threads such as "Budget Stark: First Look Iron Man Figure" despite already having clear thread designated to such figure. He was less about participating in discussions and more about plugging his own Youtube channel.

Now don't get me wrong- I'm pretty sure the mods said that there's nothing wrong with that, but eventually a lot of members started to get irritated since he was clogging the forums- it comes off as cheap advertising and when confronted, his reasoning was something along the lines that he creates new threads because dedicated threads moves so fast that his content gets buried. Again, not verbatim, since I don't recall much.

I believe that if you have good intentions, post your content on the relevant thread and it will get the attention it deserve. A link will always get brought forward to the next page even months after it has sunk to 78 prior pages. I also believe a good Youtuber will always enable the "Like/Dislike" feature so that people can gauge the content without having to watch the video, something that BudgetStark has disabled.

:goodpost:

BS is just that...BS! He stopped posting here because all he can do is make excuses for any mistake Hot Toys makes and criticizes the fans for calling them out on it. He does the same thing on his channel. It's ok to be a cheerleader but respect that everyone else isn't gonna believe H. Chan sh|_|ts gold every time he talks a squat. He always wants to criticize the American collector market saying we don't understand HTs and some guys do speak out their arse sometimes but that's not exclusive to SSFs. He comes across as a guy who wants nothing but praise for himself and the things he likes. Since he didn't get it here, he left...but he always got this sites name in his mouth! If you don't like the site, leave and let it alone.

I think the site is slightly more hostile than it used to be but I've been a member for like 10 years so the community has gotten bigger because the hobby has gotten bigger, which means more good and bad guys/gals but the good far outweigh the bad imo.

I still enjoy the site, I like the format and most of the people. This is my #1 site for all kinds of collector news.

There are two sides to every story, as a couple of boardies are saying here about Budget Stark. I personally haven't had issue with that guy specifically, but his threads and posts would frequently be reported for this or that reason. This goes for just about any disgruntled boardie who wants to go public with their grievances. ClipperKing is another one, who has staunch defenders, and people who can't stand the guy. Try to enforce the rules, the interests of a number of boardies reporting posts and PM'ing mods, or just what seems like a sensible policy of not having a member create a new thread every other day to promote themselves (usually through an outside webpage or YouTube), not allowing someone to be too lewd, or not trolling to the point that they can't be ignored, and someone is going to get up in arms about it. Don't get involved in those situations, and. . .someone is going to get up in arms about it.

As for how you handle criticisms in the BST section, there is a slippery slope there, and judgment calls that become hard to codify/enforce. Catty, greedy, and selfish members? Sure. But this is a slice of life. Regarding mods, if you step away and give people the freedom to interact with each other as they choose to, you get criticized by some. If you go too far censoring speech or deleting posts and threads for whatever reason, you get criticized by others. Often some in one group will fall into the other group depending on the discussion or context. The admin and mods aren't perfect, and there are rules that the admin sets, some encouraged/enforced more than others, that help to set the context in general. But that's the case anywhere, and folks are free to go to Facebook or YouTube or to set up their own site if they aren't pleased with things of course, and feel the rules elsewhere are more in line with their preferences.

I reckon some sections are more palatable to my interests and tastes than are others, and I don't usually go where I'm not enjoying myself or getting some value. Members should probably do the same.

Site isn't perfect. I get frustrated myself at times with the selfishness I see, egos out of control, *******s who pride themselves on being *******s, etc. But I really can't imagine a situation where you can get away from all that, once the membership reaches a certain size. The only obvious solution is to create a small Facebook group with people you know and like, but you can more or less do that here by sticking to sections and threads you feel comfortable in.

Well, it looks like BudgetStark's video omitted half the truth. There was a time where all he does here was creating new threads with his name slapped on it. There would be new threads such as "Budget Stark: First Look Iron Man Figure" despite already having clear thread designated to said figure. He was less about participating in discussions and more about plugging his own Youtube channel.

Now don't get me wrong- I'm pretty sure the mods might have said that there's nothing wrong with that, but eventually a lot of members started to get irritated since he was clogging the forums- it comes off as cheap advertising and when confronted, his reasoning was something along the lines that he creates new threads because the dedicated threads moves so fast that his content gets buried. Again, not verbatim, since I don't recall much.

I believe that if you have good intentions, post your content on the relevant thread and it will get the attention it deserves. A good link will always get brought forward to the next page even months after it has sunk to 78 prior pages. I also believe a good Youtuber will always enable the "Like/Dislike" feature so that people can gauge the content without having to watch the video, something that BudgetStark has disabled.

"Budget Spam" - Irvy

Sadly, Facebook has lead to the death of many hobby forums that used to see new posts every five minutes. Compared to other message boards I've participated on in the past, SSF gets quite a bit of activity.

As for the negative reviews/bad rep., let whoever they are continue giving bad reviews... because they're just opinions, not facts. I prefer SSF over Facebook any day for a number of reasons that I won't bother getting into because I'd be here all day if I did. :lol

Opinions from Facebook are immediately null and void as far as I'm concerned. I despise that place. :lol

:exactly: :lecture

There are two sides to every story, as a couple of boardies are saying here about Budget Stark. I personally haven't had issue with that guy specifically, but his threads and posts would frequently be reported for this or that reason. This goes for just about any disgruntled boardie who wants to go public with their grievances. ClipperKing is another one, who has staunch defenders, and people who can't stand the guy. Try to enforce the rules, the interests of a number of boardies reporting posts and PM'ing mods, or just what seems like a sensible policy of not having a member create a new thread every other day to promote themselves (usually through an outside webpage or YouTube), not allowing someone to be too lewd, or not trolling to the point that they can't be ignored, and someone is going to get up in arms about it. Don't get involved in those situations, and. . .someone is going to get up in arms about it.

As for how you handle criticisms in the BST section, there is a slippery slope there, and judgment calls that become hard to codify/enforce. Catty, greedy, and selfish members? Sure. But this is a slice of life. Regarding mods, if you step away and give people the freedom to interact with each other as they choose to, you get criticized by some. If you go too far censoring speech or deleting posts and threads for whatever reason, you get criticized by others. Often some in one group will fall into the other group depending on the discussion or context. The admin and mods aren't perfect, and there are rules that the admin sets, some encouraged/enforced more than others, that help to set the context in general. But that's the case anywhere, and folks are free to go to Facebook or YouTube or to set up their own site if they aren't pleased with things of course, and feel the rules elsewhere are more in line with their preferences.

I reckon some sections are more palatable to my interests and tastes than are others, and I don't usually go where I'm not enjoying myself or getting some value. Members should probably do the same.

Site isn't perfect. I get frustrated myself at times with the selfishness I see, egos out of control, *******s who pride themselves on being *******s, etc. But I really can't imagine a situation where you can get away from all that, once the membership reaches a certain size. The only obvious solution is to create a small Facebook group with people you know and like, but you can more or less do that here by sticking to sections and threads you feel comfortable in.

Good post and well said. :duff +1

Re: Sideshow Freaks Forum is getting a bad reputation

I've been part of this site for a long time and there is a definite difference now than in "the good ol' days," a lot of members here became my friends in real life where I know a good deal about them and converse via other forms of social media. It was more of a camaraderie type thing, when even some of the Sideshow reps becoming my friends on sites like Twitter and FB.

As things tend to do the board gets bigger, more popular, invites new people and it's almost impossible to keep that "small town feel" to it. The board has gotten more intense for sure, with members more apt to get into it with others, with long threads moving away from the product in question and just fighting with one another but what keeps me coming back are the people.

There are a lot of great members here, who are inclusive and who are always apt to engage in conversations. While I know there are members who aren't and some who have moved on the smaller cliques within their own forums and threads, I would say the board is more good than bad.

In a sense, I think that is also representative of the internet as a whole. There is a norm of internet behavior that has developed over the last decade or so, where trolling, cyberbullying and the like have taken on a life of their own. Our current president is a reflection on this in some ways, as his Twitter posts, and speeches really, reflect a lot of the current norm of how others get treated on the internet. And he had a huge following of internet trolls for this reason, using the Pepe the Frog meme, etc. Someone behaving the way he does on the political scene would seem like an alien from another planet 30 years ago.

Back