The Orville (FOX TV Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingmetal

Super Freak
Reaction score

FOX said:
From Emmy Award-winning executive producer and creator Seth MacFarlane (FAMILY GUY, “Ted”) and directed by Jon Favreau (“The Jungle Book,” “Iron Man”), THE ORVILLE is a one-hour science fiction series set 400 years in the future that follows the adventures of the U.S.S. Orville, a mid-level exploratory vessel. Its crew, both human and alien, faces the wonders and dangers of outer space, while also dealing with the familiar, often humorous problems of regular people in a workplace…even though some of those people are from other planets, and the workplace is a faster-than-light spaceship. In the 25 th century, Earth is part of the Planetary Union, a far-reaching, advanced and mostly peaceful civilization with a fleet of 3,000 ships. Down on his luck after a bitter divorce, Planetary Union officer ED MERCER (MacFarlane) finally gets his chance to command one of these ships: the U.S.S. Orville. Determined to prove his worth and write a new chapter in his life, Ed finds that task all the more difficult when the First Officer assigned to his ship is his ex-wife, KELLY GRAYSON (Adrianne Palicki, “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Friday Night Lights”). As the new commander, Ed assembles a qualified, but eccentric crew, including his best friend, GORDON MALLOY (Scott Grimes, “ER,” “Justified”), who has problems with authority, but is the best helmsman in the fleet; DR. CLAIRE FINN (Penny Johnson Jerald, “24,” “The Larry Sanders Show”), one of the Union’s most accomplished physicians; BORTUS (Peter Macon, “Shameless,” “Bosch”), an alien from a single-sex species; ISAAC (Mark Jackson, “That Royal Today”), an artificial life- form from a machine society that thinks biological life-forms are inferior; navigator JOHN LAMARR (J. Lee, FAMILY GUY, “The Cleveland Show”), whose casual humor cuts through even the most dire situations; ALARA KITAN (Halston Sage, “Neighbors,” “Goosebumps”), a young, inexperienced security officer whose home planet’s high gravity gives her superior physical strength; and YAPHIT, a gelatinous creature voiced by comedian Norm Macdonald (“The Middle,” “Saturday Night Live”). Somehow, Ed and Kelly must put the past behind them and, with the help of the crew, navigate fascinating and sometimes dangerous adventures in outer space, as well as the tumultuous and captivating day-to-day personal relationships with their colleagues.
PRODUCTION COMPANY: 20 th Century Fox Television
CREATOR/WRITER: Seth MacFarlane
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Seth MacFarlane, Brannon Braga, David A. Goodman, Jason Clark, Liz Heldens
DIRECTOR/EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Jon Favreau (pilot)
CAST: Seth MacFarlane as Ed Mercer, Adrianne Palicki as Kelly Grayson, Penny Johnson Jerald as Claire Finn, Scott Grimes as Gordon Malloy, Peter Macon as Bortus, Halston Sage as Alara Kitan, J. Lee as John Lamarr, Mark Jackson as Isaac, Chad Coleman as Klyden, Norm Macdonald as Yaphit

I've got to admit that when I first heard of this and saw the first image, I wasn't all that interested, but from what is shown in the trailer, I'm actually looking forward to seeing this now. It looks like a fun show!

Well, since we're not going to get a Galaxy Quest sequel, this is probably going to have to fit the bill. It's a total rip off that film. I mean it's so ****ing blatant its not even funny. It's not just the send up of Trek either--the Orville looks like the Protector and the bad guys in the show look like the bad guys in the film. But I still laughed during the trailer and had a big smile on my face afterward so I will definitely be giving it a try once the show drops.

Looks a hell of a lot better than the new Star Trek series. I won't be tuning in to either though. Not my thing.

Doesn't look bad. Galaxy Quest kind of vibe, which is good on its surface. Surprising, given the fact that the guy responsible for Family Guy is involved. I might check it out at some point.

Just a Reminder-
The Orville will premier on Fox in two weeks on Sunday, September 10!
The second episode will air on Sunday, September 17, then the show will move to it's regular night. The third episode will air on Thursday, September 21.

I just caught a few minutes of it here and there but it seemed like a kind of watered-down Star Trek the Next Generation. The humor was pretty weak and the focus was more on the drama and the Sci-Fi stuff but it wasn't handled all that well. Felt like empty calories.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I actually enjoyed it, it wasn't anything ground breaking or anything as its a direct rip off of ST but still it reminded me of the 90s when I would watch all the Trek that was on back then. I 100% agree though that it seems confused on which it wants to be, it was billed as a comedy but seems to actually take the dramatic moments seriously. I don't predict it will last long but I will stick with it.

Wasn't too bad it popped up on Hulu so decided to watch. Humour was on and off but liked the drama aspect to it quite a bit. Definitely a star trek/ star wars presence from the show more trek but yeah not too bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's not funny enough to be a comedy... not serious enough to be an action sci-fi show.

I didn't care for any of the characters or their dynamics. The whole 'divorce' bit seems to have been conquered in episode one, so where do the have to go?

I see this as simply MacFarlane doing his usual mild one-liners -- and at some point he'll sing and do a musical number in space.

It wasn't terrible or great, just okay.
From the trailers they made this seem much more comedic in tone, almost all of the jokes were in the trailers save a few. The drama was just not compelling, they made a misstep not making this much more of a satire.
I'll give the rest of the show a shot, I love Sci-Fi and miss this type of show on TV.

Also, there was some hackneyed melodrama that I didn't care for. It was like Star Trek written as a TGIF sitcom.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I was hooked within the first few minutes. I had a good feeling while watching this - one that I have not felt in a new show in a very long time. It was funny and it was action packed and it had good drama too. Those are the ingredients of all great action comedy movies (Lethal Weapon movies comes to mind) and to see that in a sci-fi television show with the great production value this show has is such a welcome addition to the network landscape.
I am loving the premier episode and will be watching the next episode next week.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but it was fun. How many TV shows on today are fun to watch? Not funny as in comedies, but just fun to watch? A different story every week would be nice. Tired of dramas and stories that run entire seasons. Gimme just stand alone episodes here and there. I hope it at least lasts a full season to give it time to catch it's legs.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but it was fun. How many TV shows on today are fun to watch? Not funny as in comedies, but just fun to watch? A different story every week would be nice. Tired of dramas and stories that run entire seasons. Gimme just stand alone episodes here and there. I hope it at least lasts a full season to give it time to catch it's legs.
I don't watch much network or cable TV, but there are plenty of fun shows on Netflix, HBO, and Amazon Prime.

Back