1/6 figures and OCD.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCas

Freaked Out
Reaction score
So, how OCD are you with your figures? If they arrive with a small blemish or defect will you send it back? How much does it upset you to see degradation? Have you ever accidently caused damage to your figure and obsessed over the blemish?

Discuss.

If it's something major, I'll send it back. Depends, really. Like if the Jason chevron was way off center, I'd have an issue with it. But if it was just ever so slightly off, I'll live with it. I haven't had anything degrade yet...but I don't have sealed glass cases, and I have a HUGE OCD issue with dust if that counts. A battle that I am always fighting.

Well, since this is a matter of opinion:

I honestly believe that collectors tend to misuse the term "OCD" a lot. There's a big difference between real OCD and just being mildly irritable to satisfy some kind of fulfillment. If you suspect that you're having compulsions that impair you from living a normal life (regardless if it manifest itself in this hobby or something else), then seek a proper diagnosis from a psychiatrist. If you're completely free of such impairment, congratulations and quit tossing the term around- as people who have clinically diagnosed OCD suffers in their day-to-day lives, and the WISH they could be as picky as we are.

To answer your question though, I only get picky if there are defects that are detrimental to the general aesthetics of the figure, such as missing a limb, or major damage to the head, clothing etc. I'm pretty sure most of the figures I have are "defective" in one way or another- scratches on the clothing, rotten belts, loose bodies, missing ammo/grenades etc but I don't let that bother me since it comes with the territory. To me these defects gives the figure history rather than being just another soulless doll in a case waiting to be passed on the day I die, since I'm sure these dollies will inevitably outlive myself. :lol

I'd say enjoy the ride and don't worry about things too much.

I was just about the post the same thing. I have a friend with severe OCD. The real thing, not "oh this figure has a paint fleck on it."

He's talked me through some of the thoughts that come in his head that he knows are irrational but can't let go of. It sounds like a living nightmare.

st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg

It depends on the figure and what parts of the figure are damaged.

If my favorite part of the figure has a paint scuff that only I can notice, it will still irk me. If I can replace it, then I'll do just that. If it's a rare part and I can't easily replace it, then I'll just leave it the way it is. I don't believe in repainting paint scuffs - unless someone can supply me with the exact same type and color of paint that was used on the figure.

So yeah, I'm very OCD with my figures... Not real OCD of course. ;)

Back