Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
htcelebration2.jpg

I have to say, part of me is totally shocked to not already see a thread discussing this, granted it's just a headless teaser, but so is Jedi Luke and people are talking about it a lot.

The other part of me isn't really shocked because this is a character where Sideshow really turned out a stunning and complete effort, and a bar has actually been set for Hot Toys.

For me, the Sideshow Emperor came out perfect, the rob tailoring, the sculpt, the paint could be bested but it wasn't bad by any means. I loved taking photos of it and I hated having to sell mine. I also loved having the throne and I'm quite curious to see if Hot Toys will venture into diorama type pieces for Star Wars with it, frankly I consider it as important an accessory to ROTJ Palpatine as anything. I'm sure HT will likely include Sith lightning hands knowing them, maybe even with LED powered arms to make it actually glow, and I'm sure an HT throne would have working lights.

But the overall figure needs to meet or exceed this.

5533568996_a1247ddf56_b.jpg

5532987423_5372b3a46e_b.jpg

They could do it, but time will reveal if they have. I'm hoping so, considering the aftermarket prices on the Sideshow, I'd rather spend that money on a newer and better figure, but if nothing else, maybe HT would drive down Sideshow prices, either way I would win.

I am happy with my Sideshow Inclusive Version, but that being said I am going to sell it! Just need to get him up on eBay!
I know I will want the Hot Toys one. Plus I don't really have a place for the Emperor in my display at the moment.

Hope I don't regret my decision to sell later down the line though!

I wonder if they will make the throne? It's almost a necessary accessory, they could make an exclusive that includes it with the figure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

i like my sideshow one too. but the "i cant wait to see if this ones better" is there. plus as a collector its never old to see another version. im sure ill buy hot toys

the face will make or break this... that's why they didn't show it I assume. I hope it's good since I passed on the sideshow one.

It's a gamble, if you wait to see the HT to decide which you like best, resell value could drop, but if you do sell, you might give away the figure you like better.

If I were you, I'd wait and gamble a lesser resale value, it's a character with not a huge margin for quality difference between Sideshow and HT, the big difference I expect is in paint and accessories which aren't major factors.

If there's anywhere for HT to really improve on, it would be a second, angry head. Sideshow's neutral head is amazing, but something's just never felt totally right with the angry second head, where I think HT would get much closer to capturing the right look.

I'd like to see thinner material used for the HT version robe and I also know they'll do a bit better job on the sculpt and paint work than SS did.
Hopefully they'll offer a sculpt with a good grimace, like MaulFan mentioned, and some force hands.

It's a gamble, if you wait to see the HT to decide which you like best, resell value could drop, but if you do sell, you might give away the figure you like better.

If I were you, I'd wait and gamble a lesser resale value, it's a character with not a huge margin for quality difference between Sideshow and HT, the big difference I expect is in paint and accessories which aren't major factors.

If there's anywhere for HT to really improve on, it would be a second, angry head. Sideshow's neutral head is amazing, but something's just never felt totally right with the angry second head, where I think HT would get much closer to capturing the right look.

See I am the opposite! I think the angry face is amazing and didn't rate the neutral face much!

Looking at those images above he looks amazing, but I'll be honest mine doesn't look that good so I am wondering if lighting / editing has played a part in makin the above photos look so good.

This is one Star Wars character that I'll have a hard time deciding on. The real bad guy from the films, and the most important player that I otherwise wouldn't have on the shelf. But is he necessary? Vader, Boba Fett, and a couple Storm Troopers will probably suffice.

Since I don't have SS version , this is almost a guarantee buy.

The only SW figure I every wanted were Darth , Jedi Luke and Emperor....

If they ever got a Han looking good (OT) then maybe.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in for sure. Really hoping hot toys is able to add and pull off some decent force lightning. Usually I hate cheesy effects but it's something I want the Emperor to have.

See I am the opposite! I think the angry face is amazing and didn't rate the neutral face much!

Looking at those images above he looks amazing, but I'll be honest mine doesn't look that good so I am wondering if lighting / editing has played a part in makin the above photos look so good.

Lighting in photos definitely makes a difference, I tried to direct the lighting to mirror how it looked in Jedi to show off the sculpt, but even just on display, I found him to still look out of the movie, I think another factor is how you shape the hood and create the shadows inside, which is what impressed me with Sideshow's tailoring, I could get the hood looking just how I wanted, which prior to that figure, had always been a gripe about the hoods on their figures.

This is an artsy shot I did with the angry head, the excpression is well executed, just for some reason, I don't feel like I'm almost looking at a still from the film when I look at this head vs how I felt about the neutral head, but with 2 of them, exclusive owners had an option to be happy one way or another.

6142027884_d17a705abf_b.jpg

This is one Star Wars character that I'll have a hard time deciding on. The real bad guy from the films, and the most important player that I otherwise wouldn't have on the shelf. But is he necessary? Vader, Boba Fett, and a couple Storm Troopers will probably suffice.

A valid argument, I had to sell of just about my whole Sideshow 1/6 collection except for Bib Fortuna and ROTS Obi-Wan, I'm slowly rebuilding my 1/6 collection but trying to keep to specific display groups rather than going for broke like I used to, right now I'm trying to get Sideshow Darth Maul and I would essentially have good and evil well represented for the PT, and I'm eyeing HT Jedi Luke and have a kit bash Vader right now which would cover good and evil for the OT, but, I've always loved the Emperor and I really miss having the Sideshow figure because it was so nice and would like to get a nice 1/6 version back in my collection, I suppose I could always arrange it with him standing as the evil binding both trilogies.

I am guessing comic con at the same time as luke. Howard likes to make it rain to announce his arrival.

A Comic Con reveal with an option to get Emperor and Throne together makes for a nice display at the show. Wouldn't be shocked to see a ROTJ Vader revealed along with Luke and have all 3 in one section of the display.

If they do the throne, I'm sure they'll do it like some of the Iron Man figures where you can get just Palpatine or you get the combo pack.

Back