IKEA Detolf Alternatives

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chakor

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Well I wasn't sure where to post this as it's not really a question about collectibles and at least 70% of us Marvel collectors use Detolfs so here's my question:

Are there any retail stores that carry Detolfs, aside from IKEA stores, and if so what are the prices?

Any info would be appreciated. :)

I think detolfs are pretty much ikea owned. I've seen people vouch for the ikea bestas, but like you I would like other alternatives.

On amazon, I've been looking at glass display counters as a possible option, but the cheapest large case I saw was over $500.

I've also seen some people who make custom acrylic cases online but those were also expensive.

I like the detolfs but they are a bit small. I also prefer no wood framing for the doors, since it can obscure your view of the display. My girlfriend has a large curio cabinet but unfortunately you need to be standing in front of it to see what's inside.

Thanks guys! :)

My big reason for asking is because I do have an IKEA store that's about two hours from where I live, but I need to call them to double check on the actual price of Detolfs in-store. They probably charge you $460 (or whatever) for them in-store to make up for the shipping price that you don't pay. :lol Hopefully I'm wrong...

Thanks guys! :)

My big reason for asking is because I do have an IKEA store that's about two hours from where I live, but I need to call them to double check on the actual price of Detolfs in-store. They probably charge you $460 (or whatever) for them in-store to make up for the shipping price that you don't pay. :lol Hopefully I'm wrong...

They are $69.99 on their website. I don't know what they are in-store. Its the shipping that jacks up the price. Wal-Mart has "free shipping" but charge $277.04.

They are $69.99 on their website. I don't know what they are in-store. Its the shipping that jacks up the price. Wal-Mart has "free shipping" but charge $277.04.

Yeah I thought it was a little too good to be true when I saw Detolfs for $69.99 on IKEA's website... Then I found out that shipping alone is $400 - I mean, I know they're glass but that's ridiculous to a whole new level. :cuckoo:

As far as Walmart goes, my understanding is that Walmart themselves doesn't even carry Detolfs - some other outfit just sells them via Walmart's website (kind of like eBay), LOL.

Damn, this must be one of the extremely few cases where being based in the UK is actually a good thing price-wise... I hope you manage to find a viable solution that doesn't cost a small fortune.

I ended up plugging for Fabrikors myself, preferred how solid they felt in store and liked that the shelves seem to be adjustable - no photos sadly, still clearing up the room in question!

The catch when looking for alternatives is that by far the primary reason Detolfs are so widely recommended is price. Nothing else even comes close.

They're kind of annoying to put together, not the sturdiest things, and the parts are always a little bit off. But they're so incredibly cheap compared to similar shelves even from IKEA.

Damn, this must be one of the extremely few cases where being based in the UK is actually a good thing price-wise... I hope you manage to find a viable solution that doesn't cost a small fortune.

I ended up plugging for Fabrikors myself, preferred how solid they felt in store and liked that the shelves seem to be adjustable - no photos sadly, still clearing up the room in question!

Just thinking the exact same thing myself - it's VERY rare that we get a better deal on things in the UK but right now Ikea are selling the detolf for only £40 - bargain! It's just a shame we have to pay twice the price as the U.S. for the figures we fill them with!

I wasn't a fan of the Fabrikor, It looks really nice and is sealed so you won't have to worry about dust but, it has a bit larger footprint than a Detolf, a bit unnecessarily heavy, and a lot of wasted space underneath. I'm very limited in space so the Detolf was the way to go for most of my display.

There's also the option of going with a Billy or a Besta with glass doors. It can be more expensive than a Detolf with the doors and hinges but you can make a display unit smaller or larger than a Detolf and have it match your other bookcases/entertainment center. I'm actually going to Ikea tomorrow to pick up a Billy and glass doors for a small display cabinet that'll fit in a small spot.

The issue for me with a Detolf is the base, it really needs something underneath to raise the display to a proper visual height to take advantage of the bottom shelf while at the same time having enough space to fit a Detolf above and strong enough to hold it up. They use to have a unit called the Lack side table with casters that was perfect fit but they discontinued that specific version of the Lack.
The last visit, I bought a Besta with hinges and glass doors to act as a base with two Detolfs above. $50 for the Besta frame, $40 for two doors, and $20 for soft closure hinges. Works great and provides lots of storage, but it leaves a gap between the two Detolfs which kinda sucks, but it's a nice unit on it's own.

Yeah I thought it was a little too good to be true when I saw Detolfs for $69.99 on IKEA's website... Then I found out that shipping alone is $400 - I mean, I know they're glass but that's ridiculous to a whole new level. :cuckoo:

As far as Walmart goes, my understanding is that Walmart themselves doesn't even carry Detolfs - some other outfit just sells them via Walmart's website (kind of like eBay), LOL.
You definitely want to go and pick them up yourself at Ikea, it'll be cheaper than shipping it even if it's local. The store is also a lot of fun but a bit overwhelming on your first time. Just remember that Detolfs come in two separate boxes that you have to pick up yourself in their warehouse area.
There are people selling Detolfs that are exactly what you mentioned, someone bought them from Ikea and is selling them for a ridiculous mark up.
You might be able to find a display cabinet that's similar to a Detolf from another local furniture store. I visited A Nebraska Furniture Mart and they had display cabinets but they were more expensive than a Detolfs from Ikea.

Thanks everyone! :)

I think my best alternative is to just call my nearest IKEA store on Monday and see if they charge the same $69.99 a piece for Detolfs in-store. It would save me a lot of money, even taking how much I'd have to spend on gas into consideration. :lol

Thanks everyone! :)

I think my best alternative is to just call my nearest IKEA store on Monday and see if they charge the same $69.99 a piece for Detolfs in-store. It would save me a lot of money, even taking how much I'd have to spend on gas into consideration. :lol

After my trip to Ikea yesterday, I came back with a Detolf myself. They were out of the exact type of Billy Bookase that I needed, so I thought I'd just get another Detolf. The Ikea in Merriam Kansas only had a couple Detolfs in black left, It was $69.99 with $6.46 in taxes it came to $76.45.
I'd call before your trip to make sure they're not sold out. I also had their salmon with hollandaise sauce for the first time in their cafeteria and I'd recommend it. :lol
They have a Grocery store section too so if you plan on buying perishable food, I'd recommend bringing a cooler and get a bag of ice on your way back home to keep things fresh.

I found this case while searching online ... I don't own it and have never seen. The shelves are adjustable, pricier than a Deltof but might be better too?

25-682.jpg

https://www.tsisupplies.com/Floor-Display-Cases/Square-Glass-Showcase-Tower-Display/

Back