Hot Toys Workshop Accessories Mark VII Helmet Mod for Gantry (Picture heavy)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Isamu

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi guys,

The idea for this mod came from a custom BudgetStark did a while back. I couldnt afford to get a Mark IV helmet so I decided to use the Mark VII that comes with the workshop accessories set. Only you guys would know the difference :)

The 3 helmets for comparison are the Mark VII, Mark III and the helmet that came with tony stark (Iron man 3)

I added some magnets and metal strips so that I could assemble it empty for display when not in the gantry.

IMG_7767.jpg
IMG_7769.jpg
IMG_7770.jpg
IMG_7771.jpg
IMG_7772.jpg
IMG_7773.jpg
IMG_7774.jpg
IMG_7775.jpg
IMG_7776.jpg
IMG_7777.jpg
IMG_7778.jpg
IMG_7779.jpg
IMG_7780.jpg
IMG_7781.jpg
IMG_7782.jpg
IMG_7783.jpg
IMG_7786.jpg
IMG_7787.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
IMG_7809.jpg
IMG_7810.jpg
IMG_7808.jpg
IMG_7814.jpg
IMG_7815.jpg
IMG_7816.jpg
IMG_7817.jpg
IMG_7818.jpg

Looks awesome!

Can I ask how you made the cuts (what tools etc.)...they seem super-fine.

And the red part with the ears/lower back of head...is that just glued and takes force to separate?

Looks awesome!

Can I ask how you made the cuts (what tools etc.)...they seem super-fine.

And the red part with the ears/lower back of head...is that just glued and takes force to separate?

I used photo etched modeling saws and plastic scribing tools to make the cuts.

PhotoetchedSaws.jpg
Scribingtool.jpg

The lower back of the head was just stuck to the upper part with tape. In this photo you can see the 2 pieces of square tape that held it on. Once I got the red foam out it just came off ! Lucky me :)

IMG_7772.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about doing the same thing, only with the Mark III that I have in my Gantry. This guide will be incredibly useful when I get to work on it.

Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about doing the same thing, only with the Mark III that I have in my Gantry. This guide will be incredibly useful when I get to work on it.

Good luck !! I suck at painting so a tip would be to cover everything in modeling tape when you do the cuts to avoid scratches you have to fix later :)

Some more questions if you don't mind :)

- To cut out the inner faceplate (under the gold faceplate) did you use the scribing tool? Or a saw?

- Where you sliced the top off the helmet the cut is curved. Is that possible because the photo etched saw blade can flex into the curve while cutting?

I'm looking to do something similar and purchase some tools so any specific advice would be helpful.

Some more questions if you don't mind :)

- To cut out the inner faceplate (under the gold faceplate) did you use the scribing tool? Or a saw?

- Where you sliced the top off the helmet the cut is curved. Is that possible because the photo etched saw blade can flex into the curve while cutting?

I'm looking to do something similar and purchase some tools so any specific advice would be helpful.

- To cut the inner faceplate I used the scribing tool to make a slit big enough to get the sawblade in and the sawed the rest. On this pic you can see where I have already cut the sides of the inner faceplate.

IMG_7775.jpg

From the side the line on the helmet is straight until about half way, so for this part I used the etched sawblade, and then used the scribing tool to carve the curved part of the line.

Literally the only tools I used for the cutting was those etched saws, the panel line cutting tool (scribing tool) and lots of masking tape :) I hope that helps !

Attachments

• IMG_7774.jpg
    IMG_7774.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 41
Back