We lost a fellow 1/6 scale Iron Man collector yesterday.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duo_maxwell_1017

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yesterday I lost my best friend and fellow 1/6 Hot Toys Iron Man collector. His name is Barrett Pote, and he was only 43 when he died of apparent heart attack. He is my wife's cousin, even though we weren't blood related he still treated me like I am one of his blood cousins. He leaves behind his wife of 5 years Andrea Pote. Both Barrett and Andrea have a daughter together name Madison.
When I found out that he had a heart attack, and was in the hospital I was pretty shocked. Barrett was only 43 how could someone that young have a heart attack. Barrett was a firefighter for Engine 3 in Nutley, New Jersey, he was a custodian at Nutley High School, and he also was a Superintendent for the apartment complex where he lived. Barrett was working in one of the apartments where he passed out. Ambulance was called and he was revived. While in the hospital Barrett was on a ventilator. Barrett suffered another heart attack, and did not make it.
Barrett and I were really good friends, I had him as a groomsmen in my wedding. And I was a groomsmen in his wedding. We both have a daughter that are 7 months apart. He was the first person to introduce me to Hot Toys. Iron Man Mark VII was the first Hot Toys figure that I would own. Whenever we saw each other we would talk about what Iron Man figures we recently acquired, what Iron Man figures that were coming out. We always compared notes to make sure that we weren’t missing any armors.
I am having a very difficult time dealing with this. I don’t have a lot of friends. Barrett was my only real friend. I worry how Barrett’s wife is going to cope with the loss? How is his daughter Madison going to deal with the loss of her father? At times I worry about my own mortality. What are my wife and daughter going to do if something happens to me? I go through times where I am ok, and I am able to function at work. Then there are times where I think about him or something that we always talked about, and I would break down crying.
We’ve always talked about going to San Diego Comic Con, and how much money we would need to save up for spending. We also talked about going back to New York Comic Con, we went there in 2012. But now we can never go. There are times since his passing where I thought I should sell all of my Iron Man figures, because the Iron Man figures remind me of him, and without him telling me about Hot Toys I would never own any of them. I am more leaning to keeping them all in his honor. I just need to get some bookshelves to display them.
Barrett I will never forget you or the friendship we had. I will truly miss you.

A gofundme page has been created for Andrea and Madison. https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-the-pote-family

Sorry to hear about your loss. You have my condolences.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck to you and especially his family.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Man, I am terribly sorry. 43! That is young. Hell, that's my age. I still feel like a teenager and i suspect I always will. It's quite natural to think of your mortality when things like this happen. The important thing to remember is your wife and child, to hold them close and savour every moment. None of us is guaranteed a time on this earth. The tragedy of life is that it takes a tragic event like this to remember that. Barret's passing is terribly sad - but you can be a rock to the people close to him in this difficult time. That will help you manage your grief as well and make you feel less isolated.

nobody will ever replace Barret - but you will find other people who will bring value in different ways. Your feeling of isolation will pass. There are plenty of kindred spirits out there - you just have to have faith you will find them.

I am, once again, very sorry for your loss.

Condolences to you and Barrett's family. I too was introduced to and purchased my first Hot Toys figure (Avengers Hawkeye) through my best friend. It was an "if you buy it, i'll buy it too" deal between friends. I'd keep your collection in his honor as you stated.

So sorry for your loss man that's just rough I'll keep my prayers for you and his family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your loss. Lost my father last August so I know what your going through. Do keep your collection, for as time goes on it will remind you of the good times you had with your friend instead of the fact he is now gone. RIP Barrett. :pray:

I'm really sorry to hear that, it's a tough thing. As someone who lost his two best friends before finishing college, it's a terrible thing to go through. Luckily or unluckily neither of them had wives or children. I can't imagine how they feel or how his family feels.

You never completely get over it, at least I haven't, but it'll get a little easier as time goes on. But everyday there will be a ton of things that will remind you of him. It probably won't help now, but after a while they'll be a reminder of the fun things you've done and things you've shared.

Sorry to hear about that, and my condolences to you and Barrett's family. It's never easy when these things happen, especially on the eve of Easter weekend. I hope Barrett has made arrangements to ensure his family is protected.

Not to detract from that, but I hope that we can all remember our responsibilities before indulging in our hobbies.

Also, like Outlander said, hope your collection (as well as many other things) will serve as a reminder of all the fond memories you've shared with Barrett.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I lost my mother 2 and a half months ago, so I know the rawness of it. Next to my partner, she was the closest person to me in my life. Closer than my father or my brothers, and I have no children, just my partner's grown up son. With no real interaction with my small number of (what I consider my only) friends, outside of Facebook conversations now, as we all grow older and drift further apart and move away, it is amazing how that void can be filled by a single relative, and then to loose them, it's a pretty big change to try and adapt to. Hang in there man..

Sorry for your loss. Being a father myself, I highly recommend everybody to be prepared for the worst case. I am currently preparing everything myself (testament, money for the kids etc.)... just in case.

As for your collection: there is nothing less important than a few pimped Barbies. If you like to, keep it. If you feel better, sell it and maybe split the money between the two daughters of you guys and arrange some kind of caring fond with the money. Dont think you will honor someone by just keeping a few toys. You will honor him by caring for his family (just being there is alot!). Stay a friend for his wife/daughter. Thats what I would want.

Back