Comic Book Shipping

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sent or received a large lot of comics in one of the long boxes? If so, was anything special done to the box for shipment. I have a couple of lots in excess of 400 issues that I plan on listing soon and was trying to figure out the best way to handle the packaging.

That's what I'm trying to decide. If I break it into groups and use the smaller boxes, I can do about 100 per box without a problem, but then there are 4 shipments which would have more of chance of part of it getting lost. I can put 400 issues in 2 long boxes which would be pretty close to full. I just don't know how well they would hold up to transport.

If you could fit the one long box inside another box (with lots of padding, of course), that could work. Otherwise break them up into smaller lots, but I would still double box them with padding. I don't think comic boxes by themselves will hold up in shipping.

Have you weighed just the long box with the 400 issues? I imagine it weighs a ton!

I did some research on the interwebs about whether this would work or not, but there is nothing definitive.

A standard long box holds about 250 issues with bags and boards. I didn't put it on a scale, but I believe it's in the 40-50 lb range.

A couple of years ago, I came across 2 reinforced boxes approximately the same size as a long box. I don't remember what the original purpose was for them, but they worked out great. They held about 225 issues each and were pre-padded with styrofoam so I didn't have to add anything else, just tape them shut.

I'll probably just go with the smaller boxes, insure them, and hope they all make it.

Thanks for the feedback

Not sure if you have a local shop but probably not a bad idea to ask a couple different comic shops what they would recommend doing.

You best bet is to use smaller boxes, divide them up and use media mail shipping via usps. Also add signature confirmation to each one.

Back