"Batman and Harley Quinn" animated movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Clown

King of the Wicker People
Reaction score
Starring Kevin Conroy, Loren Lester, and Melissa Rauch. Set to release summer 2017.

[SUB]From Empire: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/batman-harley-quinn-exclusive-big-bang-theory-melissa-rauch-voicing-harley/[/SUB]

"Currently two of the most popular characters in DC's arsenal,
this summer will see the debut of the animated film Batman And Harley Quinn.
Executive produced by Bruce Timm, who goes back to his classic
style heralded in Batman: The Animated Series,
this is an original story featuring the reluctant team-up
of Batman, Nightwing and Harley Quinn to try and stop a global
catastrophe caused by Poison Ivy and
Jason Woodrue, AKA the Plant-Master.

Returning to voice Batman is Kevin Conroy, who first played the role on Batman: The Animated Series
and most recently voiced him for the animated film Batman: The Killing Joke.

Loren Lester is Nightwing, and, like Conroy, first voiced the character (as Robin) in B:TAS.

Taking on the part of Harley Quinn is Melissa Rauch, best known as Dr. Bernadette Rostenkowsi-Wolowitz on The Big Bang Theory."

d433nqb8ymny.jpg

harley-batman-nightwing.jpg

Last edited:
Rauch as Harley is a little jarring mainly because that "Bernadette" voice is so relatable with her and wouldn't work with Harley. I know that it isn't her actual voice and something done for TBBT specifically but I have my concerns that she'll try a "Harley Voice" and it'll just sound too close to Bernadette to be believable. The animation looks fantastic though and I'm always up for more Conroy Batman.

The New Animated Adventures is not the classic style, IMO. And why wouldn't they bring back whoever did Harley's voice originally? She was fantastic.

The New Animated Adventures is not the classic style, IMO. And why wouldn't they bring back whoever did Harley's voice originally? She was fantastic.

Arleen Sorkin quietly retired after Arkham Asylum in 2009. There's a podcast with Kevin Smith few years later and her natural voice sounded like it's breaking down. It's understandable, since the voice is really hard to do and she's 61 now.

Arleen Sorkin quietly retired after Arkham Asylum in 2009. There's a podcast with Kevin Smith few years later and her natural voice sounded like it's breaking down. It's understandable, since the voice is really hard to do and she's 61 now.

Hasn't Tara Strong been doing it since Sorkin retired? I'm surprised she wasn't the go-to. Bernadette might be great at it but given she isn't exactly a top tier actor, I'm surprised they didn't go with someone established in the voice acting realm and nabbed someone new.

That aside... ugh, Harley. One of the most overused and overrated characters...

Yeaah. I'm a bit excited for this since I love BTAS, STAS, and the JL cartoons, but I definitely feel like this'll try to capitalize on Harley's popularity.

Hasn't Tara Strong been doing it since Sorkin retired? I'm surprised she wasn't the go-to. Bernadette might be great at it but given she isn't exactly a top tier actor, I'm surprised they didn't go with someone established in the voice acting realm and nabbed someone new.

Yes, but her voice always sounds a bit too... exaggerated. It works for when she's in the PowerPuff Girls, but it was a bit jarring in Arkham City. She had improved a bit for Arkham Knight though.

I'm curious about Rauch, but I agree that she's an "interesting" choice.

Here's the sneak peek with a lot of clips from the actual film. She sounds...okay. Strangely, I thought she sounded best when they showed her in the recording booth, as opposed to any of the times they actually had her dialogue synced with animation.:lol

Why do they keep saying this is in the classic Batman: The Animated Series style? It's more akin to Justice League: Unlimited.

I'm not really liking Rauch as Harley. I miss Sorkin. Hell, I miss Tara. :lol

I expect this to be somewhere between Killing Joke and Return of the Caped Crusaders in terms of quality.

Am I the only one who thinks they need to just do a nationwide search for the next Harley Quinn or something? Get a soundalike, like Telltale did for Michael J. Fox with the Back to the Future game? Because, I'll be honest, I don't think Harley, as a character, will ever escape Arleen Sorkin's shadow, and I think it boils down to the fact that she was created for TV, and that was our first exposure to her.

There's versatility in adapting characters from comics, but DC seems to think that the fact that she "broke out" from under TAS and became an extremely successful crossover character means she has somehow transcended Arleen Sorkin, as well, when, in fact, all 20+ years of comics and other media have just reinforced that idea of Sorkin as Quinn. There's ambiguity in how I "hear" most comic book characters, but I've never opened a Harley Quinn comic and heard any voice other than Sorkin's.

She sounds better when her voice is softer. I don't know, I guess I'll find out how much I love/hate her when I see the whole thing. Right now I'm just "meh".

Back