FREE signed Children of HURIN book

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
check this out

A Barnes & Noble Exclusive. A **LIMITED QUANTITY** of THE CHILDREN OF HÚRIN signed by Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee will go on sale at 12:00 noon on April 17, 2007.

Make your plans for a chance to be one of the lucky few to get your hands on a signed edition of the first complete book by J.R.R. Tolkien in three decades!! The books have exclusive bookplates previously signed by Tolkien and Lee. Books will be sold on a first come first served basis. Limit 5 books per customer.

DATE: April 17, 2007
TIME: 12:00 noon
PLACE: Barnes & Noble, 5th Avenue & 46th Street, New York City (212) 697-3048
I am some 600 miles away. I want one of those signed books. If anyone is planning on going to this event and would be so kind as to pick up an extra book for me I will buy both of them - one for you and one for me. You invest the time and I will buy your book for you if you just take my money and pick up copies for both of us.

Send me a PM if you are seriously interested and sure you are going.

Last edited:
So it is only at the NY store? Dang, wish they had done this online... I don't stand a chance of getting one...

Flip!!! I got really excited until I got to the part about New York. Christopher Tolkien will not be doing book signings for this, so a chance to get a signed copy is pretty cool.

Oh gee, I would LOVE to get one of these! I'm racking my brain to think of someone I know in the area--and I am coming up dry. Any chance of getting in on this, WetaWork? Please, oh PLEASE? I'd gladly pay for yours and my copy, if this would help.

I'll try to go compose myself now...

--Chris

I would love one of these, If anyone can help me out I will be most grateful and will be duly rewarded

pretty please

thanks
colin

These books will be worth much in 10 years time... whoever is going, better prepared to make a overnight queueing..

Alan Lee seems to be making a lot of appearances for this book so getting a signed copy should not be that hard.Here in the U.K he is at Waterstones and Forbidden Planet next month,Not sure about appearances by Christopher though...

gtb said:
These books will be worth much in 10 years time... whoever is going, better prepared to make a overnight queueing..

I doubt an overnight stay will be necessary. I got downtown NYC for a 1st edition Bill Clinton signing at 7:00AM and was more than fine. Not sure how limited these will be and whether or not it will be worth the effort but I'll be sure to get there before the store opens.

I don't think these are live signings anyway. These appear to be pre-signed bookplates that will be placed in the books.

Alan Lee seems to be making a lot of appearances for this book so getting a signed copy should not be that hard.Here in the U.K he is at Waterstones and Forbidden Planet next month,Not sure about appearances by Christopher though...

Yes, Alan's signature is not all that difficult to come by but CHristopher is not known for doing signings.

Well I am overjoyed that WW is doing this. Thank you thank you thank you. And it looks like a bunch of others have piled on --- cool. Yes, these are not true signed books but signed bookplates which will then be attached to the front of the books. But barring an as of yet unnannounced signed by CT - this is the best we are going to do. Its weird that I have daddies signature (JRRT) but not the son (CT). This will take care of that.

I will find out if these are only the regular editions or if you can also get the collectors boxed edition. Christmas comes early:D

Chris (Gideon), Lonnie, Tom... if I'm able to get them, your all covered.

We can work out the payment and shipping info when we get closer to the release date and availability on the edition types.

WetaWork said:
Chris (Gideon), Lonnie, Tom... if I'm able to get them, your all covered.

We can work out the payment and shipping info when we get closer to the release date and availability on the edition types.

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Do the happy dance!!!

:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

Thank you so much Weta! I know it may not happen, but just to have a chance is all I was asking!!! Good luck in NY!!!

Talked by phone to a lady at the store today and while details are still being worked out, she indicated the following:

- the signed bookplates will already be set into the books

- no set number of signed bookplates have yet been determined although she said it would be more than a hundred or two but "not in the thousands" of copies

- she was suprised at the heavy early interest since the only mention has been on Tolkien websites and no announcement is yet available to the general mass media or even in their stores....

- many calls have come into the store from as far as California and people asked if they could camp out in front of the store to be assured of obtaining what they want

- she said twice GET HERE VERY EARLY IF YOU WANT ONE

- she did indicate that five was the number of books you could purchase

gideon said:
Talked by phone to a lady at the store today and while details are still being worked out, she indicated the following:

- no set number of signed bookplates have yet been determined although she said it would be more than a hundred or two but "not in the thousands" of copies

- she was suprised at the heavy early interest since the only mention has been on Tolkien websites and no announcement is yet available to the general mass media or even in their stores....

- many calls have come into the store from as far as California and people asked if they could camp out in front of the store to be assured of obtaining what they want

Doesn't sound good, but if it happens, it happens; if not, I won't be too upset.

gideon said:

Thanks for the intell. Saved me the time to do it myself. I'm quite determined to obtain these books. I'm usually very good at accessing a product line situation and planning accordingly. Looks like I may need to take a day off from work if the feedback you've received thus far turns out to be true.

My biggest fear is that with only 200 bookplates and the potential for a line exceeding the supply, they may change their mind on the 5 per customer rule. :(

WetaWork said:
Thanks for the intell. Saved me the time to do it myself. I'm quite determined to obtain these books. I'm usually very good at accessing a product line situation and planning accordingly. Looks like I may need to take a day off from work if the feedback you've received thus far turns out to be true.

My biggest fear is that with only 200 bookplates and the potential for a line exceeding the supply, they may change their mind on the 5 per customer rule. :(

I just sent you a PM... I just hope you get it before the 5 book limit is already filled! As you say, the situation may be subject to change, but if there's any way you could snag one for me too, I'd be eternally grateful! :cool:

Please no more PMs after the timestamp of this post.

I'll do what I can do for those first few who have expressed interest. If I'm able to obtain additional copies, I'll contact those in the order interest was expressed.

So far, as I mentioned earlier... 1. Chris (Gideon), 2. Lonnie, 3. Tom... if I'm able to get them, your all covered.

Alternates in the following order:

6. Puppet Pusher
7. ifu03612
8. woodsy
9. Beren
10. Mudshark

Last edited:
I'd love to have a copy of this signed that would be awesome. Just not gonna happen though so it's all good. :)

Back