Can plastics used for KO items really give you cancer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chakor

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
OK I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've done all the research I could and still haven't found anything helpful. I'm thinking about picking up some HT head recasts from China, but want to make sure that the rumors I've been hearing about plastics used for KO items allegedly giving people cancer aren't true. I seriously can't tell if there's any factual evidence or if it's all just hyperbole.

Any info would be appreciated. :)

It's really hard to say unless someone can do a lab analysis on it but entirely possible. Unlike children's' toys, there no regulations on the materials used on these bootlegs. Even worse, official products can sometimes come with inadequate warnings that could potentially harm the consumer. For example, I was once blinded by the LED lights on a Sideshow life size Terminator bust after looking at it because it was too damn bright, there was no warning in the instructions whatsoever that the lights could cause discomfort as I assumed they were protected with tinted lenses.

Bottom line, anything is possible even with official figures. These are niche products unlike companies like Hasbro or Mattel.

OK I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've done all the research I could and still haven't found anything helpful. I'm thinking about picking up some HT head recasts from China, but want to make sure that the rumors I've been hearing about plastics used for KO items allegedly giving people cancer aren't true. I seriously can't tell if there's any factual evidence or if it's all just hyperbole.

Any info would be appreciated. :)

hi, most recast are not made from plastic, but more like hard rubber, or you can say soft plastic, or maybe Resin. Even recycled plastic, i would imagine they have to be like radioactive or something, unless well, you lick or eat your toys.

because even if the material is hazardous (except radioactive), the paint layer would have protected you from harm.

as for paint, i do think it's normal paint, don't expect lead in them because most high end hobbies (except Ironman) don't require shinny paint which is main point of adding lead.

I would be more worried about KO bodies, including rubber bodies (which really smells) than headsculpt. but my normal practice is if possible wipe the items (official or fake) with damp tissue to wipe away the layer of grease from factory. and always wash my hands after handling the stuffs. the paint may not be hazardous but paint apps like weathering might come off onto your fingers and next thing you know you ear holding a bare naked burger or pizza, or your Playstation controller.

Even items from 3A, i would not put it in my bedroom, and they go into the detolfs. what you need to know is, most of these things probably emits some sort of gas or vapor that you cannot see esp rubber & soft plastic, but if you stay in a well ventilated room, it should be ok.

And tell us, how confident are you with the materials used in your daily car? Most of them are made from hard rubber & plastic, when you put the car whole day under the sun, under hot temperature, these parts emit some vapor and traps in the car. We have seen Toyota & Lexus dashboards melting away and become soft like fresh clay under hot sun, i would imagine the materials, even though safe, would not be good to inhale them in gas form.

I mean who actually think about all these? We only care about fuel consumption, NCAP and all those stuffs.

It's really hard to say unless someone can do a lab analysis on it but entirely possible. Unlike children's' toys, there no regulations on the materials used on these bootlegs. Even worse, official products can sometimes come with inadequate warnings that could potentially harm the consumer. For example, I was once blinded by the LED lights on a Sideshow life size Terminator bust after looking at it because it was too damn bright, there was no warning in the instructions whatsoever that the lights could cause discomfort as I assumed they were protected with tinted lenses.

Bottom line, anything is possible even with official figures. These are niche products unlike companies like Hasbro or Mattel.

only the official toys gets "certified" safe. many children toys from China gets in undetected are are sold in $1 stores. also i would not put my faith on those cheap cups & plates which you are gonna use to put your food on, high chances they have lead paints all over it especially those linings.

and when you think of it, plastic & rubber stuffs are everywhere, in your home, your kitchen, room, car, office etc. how do you know which ones are dangerous? best is have good ventilation and access to fresh air. or get some quality Hepa air purifier.

Its an old trick used to demonize what you cant profit off, trust in your asian cousins and admire their sheer wild west communist approach to the capitalist marketplace.

Keep things civil, Freaks.

Thread cleaned.

Keep in mind our board's Code of Conduct.

Community forums are at their best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy. Therefore, we ask that you conduct yourself in a civilized manner when participating in these forums. Remember, that your opinion is not a fact and repeating the same criticism over and over again is unlikely to change anyone else’s mind. Think about how your post comes across to readers and be mindful of how you’d like others to respond before you post. The guidelines and rules listed below explain what behavior is expected of you and what behavior you can expect from other community members. Note that the following guidelines are not exhaustive, and may not address all manner of offensive behavior. As such, the forum moderators shall have full discretion to address any behavior that they feel is inappropriate. Your access to these forums is a "privilege," and not a "right." Sideshowcollectors.com reserves the right to suspend your access to these forums at any time for reasons that include, but are not necessarily limited to, your failure to abide by this code.

Back