Captain Toy Picks...Top Ten 'smart purchases' for lack of a better term

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
This week's Captain Toy Picks... is a fun one, but difficult to describe in a short title. I'm looking at the top ten smart purchases - things I bought that, looking back on it, I'm really, really glad I got at the time I did. It's sort of a reverse grail list, if you will. It's also a highly personal one, and I'd love to hear what collectibles you've picked up that you're glad you spent the money on back then. My list is here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE-032917.htm

More lucky than smart. Lucky that their selling prices went up. No one ever knows the future value of these things. I'd attach 'smart purchase' to other more useful things but not toys or collectibles.

No NECA Balrog? That's one that came to my mind.

For me personally, the one I have in my collection is Kaneda's Bike by Bandai.

I also got the Hot Toys 1989 Batmobile really cheap, but I don't know what the value is these days.

For a while certain Transformers Masterpieces were going for crazy amounts of money, but Takara wised up and reissues them fairly often now.

I have all THE MUPPETS and playlets but for some reason I decided to pass on the backstage. I guess I just did not like it. No regrets so I am cool!
The Kitchen was a AMAZING piece for $30 Back in the day!!

Lego seems to be a smart buy.

I made a killing off my loose, assembled Star Wars kits, even the early stuff like the first Slave I, Milennium Falcon, etc.

Of course, the infamous UCS Falcon has inflated quite a bit.

Just sold off my Muppets Kitchen a few weeks back, as it were. . . IIRC it sold for about $100, so it's all good.

Still holding onto my Davy Jones and Godfather. . . they're gonna pay for my kid's tuition someday. He's gonna walk into that financial aid office, with that Hot Toy under his arm, and the receptionist is going to freak out, "OMG, is that the VHTF RARE! L@@K MISB Godfather Hot Toys Vito Corleone 1/6 Figure?!?!? You're IN!!"

Maybe you should rewrite the article and title it 10 best "investments" so it matches the comments instead of the actual article that you wrote about how lucky you feel for being able to snag pieces that you personally enjoy! I enjoyed your actual article though!

Michael is saying he's happy he picked them up when he did for retail because he'd hate to buy them today for what they're going for on the after market, and that he's not selling them so they're not seen as investments.

I know you excluded Hot Toy figures because I read the article, but for me my smartest purchases were all the HT Predator and Aliens figures that I bought when they first came out for retail or below, I'd go broke trying to buy up all those sets today becuase Predator and Aliens are some of my favorite movies and favorite scifi monsters.

This is what's fun about collecting for me because I'm a fickle collector and only have so much space. So I don't mind selling off old stuff that becomes worth a lot and using that money to help fund the next pieces that are must buys for me.

The problem is there is some stuff that is very unique or characters that don't get much attention but just one time. Like I didn't mind selling my Harley Quinn exclusive pf because there is so much of Harley out there, and I never loved the design of that statue anyway. But I have the Jessica Rabbit pf that is worth a lot and I think the best representation of the character ever made, and nothing like that will be produced again. So I could never sell it.

Interesting list.

I'd like to know what are the 10 most valuable figures that have come out of the last 17 years of 1/6th collecting?

That'd be a good one too - I'll add it to my list of lists :D

And at some point, when I finally finish my multi-year (because I'm so damn slow) clean up of all my boxes, I'll do a list of my ten favorite items in the collection, which is also very different from anything else. I don't want to do it though until I can take photos of the items, because most were not subjects of any reviews.

Back