3D Printed Robocain

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can send off the files to a 3D Printer place and they will send you the parts. That's what I'm doing.
Not sure how much it will work out at yet.

Hey, guy from Korea made this... I think.... Anyway here is the DL link. My plan is to get it 3D Printed in metal like the original puppet
with the black armour pieces done in plastic.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-m...2-movie-cain-action-figure-3d-printable-model

And here is his original blog for making it.

https://imagehand.blogspot.co.uk/

It looks really well done! I'd love to own something like this.

BTW, you can not 3D print in metal, you can only have something milled in metal on an incredibly expensive robotic machine.

BTW, you can not 3D print in metal, you can only have something milled in metal on an incredibly expensive robotic machine.

actually yes you can. there are lots of avenues in which to do it. from home use, to mid range, to high end. they have metal infused powder filament for home use... works good, but because of the abrasive metallic properties, you beat up your nozzles really quick. the mid range lay down metallic powders in layers and heat to melt and fuse each layer. the high end machines can actually lay down material as an extruder and laser weld the layers as it lays down the material. pretty impressive options out there from low end to high end. i've used the home base filament and works good w/ good results, but like i mentioned it puts wear and tear on your machine. i've seen both the mid and high end options too... pretty impressive! we've started using some of the high end extrusion w/ laser bonding layers for some of our products where i work... it's going to be crazy what companies can start doing in the near future!

Well I have the files... guess I'll find out what the damage is next week....

wooooooow.
so even working schematics for am 1/6 action figure exist - and still no figure on the market :(

wooooooow.
so even working schematics for am 1/6 action figure exist - and still no figure on the market :(

Well Threezero were supposed to be working on a 1/6th Cain but i haven't seen any updated pics or heard any info about it for nearly a year now.

actually yes you can. there are lots of avenues in which to do it. from home use, to mid range, to high end. they have metal infused powder filament for home use... works good, but because of the abrasive metallic properties, you beat up your nozzles really quick. the mid range lay down metallic powders in layers and heat to melt and fuse each layer. the high end machines can actually lay down material as an extruder and laser weld the layers as it lays down the material. pretty impressive options out there from low end to high end. i've used the home base filament and works good w/ good results, but like i mentioned it puts wear and tear on your machine. i've seen both the mid and high end options too... pretty impressive! we've started using some of the high end extrusion w/ laser bonding layers for some of our products where i work... it's going to be crazy what companies can start doing in the near future!

That's interesting, never heard of it. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're metal but a composite resin that contains metal. It'll still never replace high end mills for metals with specific properties, my father works for a company that does high end mill operations.

That's interesting, never heard of it. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're metal but a composite resin that contains metal. It'll still never replace high end mills for metals with specific properties, my father works for a company that does high end mill operations.

I'm thinking you might be confusing milling parts vs creating metal parts. Milling is the operation of machining /grinding / finishing etc a piece of metal to make a shape or final part. Milling is done after a metal part is created. There are some instances where we have had to send our 3-D metal printed parts out to have machining/milling done to create high tolerance surface finish, but this is after the initial 3d printed part is already created.

With mid to high range 3-D metal printing it is removing the necessity for milling the final part as you can create a final shape and not have to go through any milling operations. The low-end home units use a composite mixture of metal and ABS plastic. The mid to high end machines produce full metal parts. Some of our extremely complex designs at work are beginning to use full metal 3-D printed parts as there are certain shapes that no mill can create due to complexity. With metal 3-D printing, our design limitations are fading away as we can produce parts not previously possible with mills and machining.

I don't know much about 3D printing and the associated files but what stops one of these recasters from buying the files and either printing and selling the thing or just flat out selling the files :huh

I don't know much about 3D printing and the associated files but what stops one of these recasters from buying the files and either printing and selling the thing or just flat out selling the files :huh

Because it's essentially illegal. If you read the nitty gritty details of the license attached to a 3D file like this that is for sale it will state you cannot do that. Obviously a nefarious sort could STILL do it, but if anyone caught wind and decided to pursue it they would have the language of the licensing to back them up.

Because it's essentially illegal. If you read the nitty gritty details of the license attached to a 3D file like this that is for sale it will state you cannot do that. Obviously a nefarious sort could STILL do it, but if anyone caught wind and decided to pursue it they would have the language of the licensing to back them up.

nothing can stop them honestly. you see it constantly on ebay, etsy, for examples.... people taking the STL (3d printer format files) and printing them and selling them. happens all the time. and honestly, as in the case with the person who is selling the STL files for this robocop cain... they are breaking the law as it is intellectual property they are duplicating and selling for profit.

i've pulled down tons of files and printed them... many of the things are movie replicas. some guns, accessories, etc... but they are fan fare (for free, not for profit items, personal use) which doesn't fall in the same category as the person trying to sell these files for robocop for a profit. it's theft. are the owners of the robocop property going to come after and sue the guy selling these files? highly unlikely. same goes for whoever would buy this and cast the files and resell them. the guy who is illegally selling the files to which he doesn't own licensing for has no leg to stand on to sue someone for using his stuff in the same regards.

nothing can stop them honestly. you see it constantly on ebay, etsy, for examples.... people taking the STL (3d printer format files) and printing them and selling them. happens all the time. and honestly, as in the case with the person who is selling the STL files for this robocop cain... they are breaking the law as it is intellectual property they are duplicating and selling for profit.

i've pulled down tons of files and printed them... many of the things are movie replicas. some guns, accessories, etc... but they are fan fare (for free, not for profit items, personal use) which doesn't fall in the same category as the person trying to sell these files for robocop for a profit. it's theft.
I totally agree with you. And most 3D files ALLOW for printing for personal use, that's kind of the point. But not for general resale. Check out the licensing at Turbosquid, for example...It says you can reprint up to five times for your personal use but beyond that you can't, especially if you are going to resell the prints.

But I absolutely agree, nothing stopping someone from doing it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

i've pulled down tons of files and printed them... many of the things are movie replicas. some guns, accessories, etc... but they are fan fare (for free, not for profit items, personal use) which doesn't fall in the same category as the person trying to sell these files for robocop for a profit. it's theft. are the owners of the robocop property going to come after and sue the guy selling these files? highly unlikely. same goes for whoever would buy this and cast the files and resell them. the guy who is illegally selling the files to which he doesn't own licensing for has no leg to stand on to sue someone for using his stuff in the same regards.

:lecture That's kinda what I figured. Clean hands concept.

Back