Prop Highlander 1 swords (Masamune, Kurgan, etc)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanexel711

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just thinking about the Highlander film today, and realized we've never really gotten a mass-produced series of Highlander swords cast from the original props in Highlander 1. We've come close with the Kurgan sword, but never 100%. All the Marto/United Cutlery versions of the Masamune/Connor/Ramirez katana were different versions of the handle. It was never the one from Highlander 1.

I've been out of the game for a while, but who makes swords these days? What manufacturer could tackle this license and make something true to the films at a reasonable price?

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

Not sure what you mean? I have both of these the top of which is Connor's from the films and the bottom which is Duncan's from the series

View attachment 331054

View attachment 331056

View attachment 331055

Not sure what you mean? I have both of these the top of which is Connor's from the films and the bottom which is Duncan's from the series

Unfortunately, that is not the version used in Highlander 1. That is the Marto version of the Connor MacLeod katana, and it was only used in Highlander 4: Endgame. It's a completely different sculpt. You can tell by the dragon head, lack of bronze pin, and color scheme. As a matter of fact, every Highlander film featuring Christopher Lambert has a different mold/sculpt of the katana.

The mold from Highlander 1 has never been mass-produced.

The Duncan sword is the katana used by Adrian Paul in Seasons 3-6 of the series. However, Seasons 1-2 used a different version of that particular sword as well.

Not sure about that I had my Connor version long before Highlander 4 was ever in production.

When they filmed H4 they went ahead and used the already available and mass produced Marto swords making it the most accurate film prop you can own.

Daryl Kyle of Texas Steel And Props still makes them, although not mass produced.
I worked with Daryl about 7 years when he was starting. He is a stand up guy.

Here are some of mine.
From right to left...
TV series season 1-3, made by Saul for the show, this was made for actual production but never saw screen time, blade is stainless steel. Point Gallery, now run by Daryl Kyle after Saul taught him his process sells functional versions.
H1- Sculpted (orginal commisioned for David Stokes) using extensive research,made by me.
H2- Cast from the screen used sword, made by Daryl
H3- Not screen used, but sculpted by the orginal artist, Jose Debraga. Made by me
H4- Made by Marto (I am in the process of mounting it on a real blade.
H3- waki made by me.
20170320_160250.jpg
Close ups...
20170320_160256.jpg
20170320_160305.jpg
20170320_160321.jpg
20170320_160329.jpg

Years ago, The Noble Collection made a proper Ramirez replica. Other companies still produce a replica handle, but the tsuba is never right nor even close.
Coincidentally, there is a seller on ebay who hand makes 1/6 replicas of some movie swords. I've seen Luke's ROTJ saber, Kurgan's sword, Inigo Montoya's sword, Wesley's Dread Pirate Roberts sword, and a few others. Fantastic looking swords in 1/6 with 1/1 prices.
Ryan

Years ago, The Noble Collection made a proper Ramirez replica. Other companies still produce a replica handle, but the tsuba is never right nor even close.
Coincidentally, there is a seller on ebay who hand makes 1/6 replicas of some movie swords. I've seen Luke's ROTJ saber, Kurgan's sword, Inigo Montoya's sword, Wesley's Dread Pirate Roberts sword, and a few others. Fantastic looking swords in 1/6 with 1/1 prices.
Ryan

The one that the Noble Collection sold was the Marto.
The Sideshow 1/6 Connor comes with a decent sword.
20170320_194223-1.jpg

Back