Beginner selling advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

para50

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have a couple of things that I want to sell as I don't have space for them anymore, but I'm a bit unsure of how to go about it. I'm a member of a few selling groups on Facebook and the amount of issues I see posted has made me really apprehensive.

One of the things I'm thinking of selling is an Enterbay 1/4 Robocop. The figure is extremely flimsy and fragile though. I've put off trying to sell it for ages as I'm worried someone could buy it, open it up and break it, then just claim it was already like that and suddenly I'm out hundreds of £'s. From what I see on Facebook, there are a lot of scammers in this hobby, so that's another concern. Then also, I've never sold anything before (other than ebay) so I don't have any positive reputation anywhere to show I'm trustworthy. I'm just wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the best way to go about selling things for the first time? And the best way to avoid all the potential issues. Thanks

I would say list here, but you have to pay $25 fee for 1 year premium membership and no guarantee you will sell anything or avoid scammers. Your best bet is still eBay(that is where I sell 90% of my stuff still), just take lots of pics and if there is damage file a claim with the shipper. You could also use an eBay valet type service or use a local comic shop consignment, but they take a large chunk of the sale price. You can't avoid every issue, but be smart and limit where you will sell and if your buyer looks suspect(low feedback, lots of negatives left, etc... just cancel the sale and move on).

I have a couple of things that I want to sell as I don't have space for them anymore, but I'm a bit unsure of how to go about it. I'm a member of a few selling groups on Facebook and the amount of issues I see posted has made me really apprehensive.

One of the things I'm thinking of selling is an Enterbay 1/4 Robocop. The figure is extremely flimsy and fragile though. I've put off trying to sell it for ages as I'm worried someone could buy it, open it up and break it, then just claim it was already like that and suddenly I'm out hundreds of £'s. From what I see on Facebook, there are a lot of scammers in this hobby, so that's another concern. Then also, I've never sold anything before (other than ebay) so I don't have any positive reputation anywhere to show I'm trustworthy. I'm just wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the best way to go about selling things for the first time? And the best way to avoid all the potential issues. Thanks

any online market faces the same issue, difference is their policy in dealing with returns. ebay requires seller to give full refund and also the cost of shipping returned items. so it would be worse than selling tru facebook.

the best way to sell your bulky items is tru toy/comic events or physical toy markets, or flea markets, it won't gain as much exposure compared to selling online but at least you get to handle the item show potential buyers it's condition and buyer can cash & carry. or set up online sales that only deals with local pickups, just make sure you pick somewhere safe for the dealings, like maybe inside a McDonald or Wendy's or a mall next to the security booth.

and since you have no reputation you can't sell here which is much safer but again less exposure.

I would say list here, but you have to pay $25 fee for 1 year premium membership and no guarantee you will sell anything or avoid scammers. Your best bet is still eBay(that is where I sell 90% of my stuff still), just take lots of pics and if there is damage file a claim with the shipper. You could also use an eBay valet type service or use a local comic shop consignment, but they take a large chunk of the sale price. You can't avoid every issue, but be smart and limit where you will sell and if your buyer looks suspect(low feedback, lots of negatives left, etc... just cancel the sale and move on).

what is the success rate of claiming damage from the shipper & how much % of the value do they pay out?

on ebay you have to becareful canceling orders if the number of cancellation exceeds certain % of your sales you get flagged. ebay do so to avoid sellers from canceling an order so they can deal outside of ebay and save the 10% fee.

also anything below 97% i would be careful about them. because ebay has their own way of calculating %.

I find these few habits saved my butt a few times when selling:

1) Always disclose everything about the figure, flaws and all.

2) If someone bought (or intends to buy) it, ask them if they read the full description and acknowledge said said description. You'd be surprised on how many don't.

3) Take several photos during packing, inducing the padding, and how it's being packed. This is to avoid any potential disputes in case the buyer brings up false claims.

4) No matter how small, always ship stuff with tracking, and if you're willing- insurance.

5) Check your tracking periodically. Just because it's off your hands, doesn't mean your part is over. It's always nice to hear back when someone has received your package (and loved it!).

Scammers, broken, or whatever - Only ONE solution:

Always - !!! ALWAYS !!! Ship INSURED FOR THE FULL VALUE OF THE SALE!!!! and with SIGNATURE REQUIRED!!! Never send as 'gift' with lower value declared!!!
The customer can't say they didn't receive it, and if the item is damaged, you file a claim and get 100% value + Shipping Cost refunded.

Another scam - Buyer offers to pay with paypal, and "...a friend who lives close by will pick it up.." - NEVER agree, unless whoever picks it up pays cash at time of delivery, otherwise you will end up with no item, and a Non-Delivery claim in your paypal without the proof of delivery.

PS - Comments on the post above mine - 1000 photos and assurances from a buyer that they understand what is for sale, will NOT help you with scammers, klutz, idiots, etc. One can always claim you did not fully disclose a certain fact or detail.
That is why insurance is A MUST, NOT AN OPTION!!!
If a buyer doesn't like something: Request the buyer to return the item, refund them after you got it back, file a claim with the carrier, get a refund for yourself. Done.

So to sum it up:

1. Insure for full value
2. Never declare lower value.
3. Always get a Signature Confirmation, not just regular tracking.
4. If pickup in person - NO PAYPAL!! CASH ONLY!

Last edited:
I always add signature confirmation on eBay items when the buyer has little to no feedback. I've found that scammers have really gotten more bold and pay for item but then try to claim they never got it. Even with tracking, eBay still sides with them.

Scammers, broken, or whatever - Only ONE solution:

Always - !!! ALWAYS !!! Ship INSURED FOR THE FULL VALUE OF THE SALE!!!! and with SIGNATURE REQUIRED!!! Never send as 'gift' with lower value declared!!!
The customer can't say they didn't receive it, and if the item is damaged, you file a claim and get 100% value + Shipping Cost refunded.

Another scam - Buyer offers to pay with paypal, and "...a friend who lives close by will pick it up.." - NEVER agree, unless whoever picks it up pays cash at time of delivery, otherwise you will end up with no item, and a Non-Delivery claim in your paypal without the proof of delivery.

PS - Comments on the post above mine - 1000 photos and assurances from a buyer that they understand what is for sale, will NOT help you with scammers, klutz, idiots, etc. One can always claim you did not fully disclose a certain fact or detail.
That is why insurance is A MUST, NOT AN OPTION!!!
If a buyer doesn't like something: Request the buyer to return the item, refund them after you got it back, file a claim with the carrier, get a refund for yourself. Done.

So to sum it up:

1. Insure for full value
2. Never declare lower value.
3. Always get a Signature Confirmation, not just regular tracking.
4. If pickup in person - NO PAYPAL!! CASH ONLY!

you sounded like it's a piece of cake claiming from the shipper. and how can you claim a refund when the buyer doesn't like what he got? have you actually claimed anything successfully with full insured value?

you sounded like it's a piece of cake claiming from the shipper. and how can you claim a refund when the buyer doesn't like what he got? have you actually claimed anything successfully with full insured value?

If the buyer doesn't like - Take it back.
If buyer claims damage - File a claim.
Claimed 3 times in the past 2 years. Twice for damage, one for lost in shipping. I only ship with the USPS, no problems with claims whatsoever.

If the buyer doesn't like - Take it back.
If buyer claims damage - File a claim.
Claimed 3 times in the past 2 years. Twice for damage, one for lost in shipping. I only ship with the USPS, no problems with claims whatsoever.

but for return you still have to bear the shipping both ways.

and how damaged is considered damaged? do you still get back the damaged item after the claim and at what level of damage do they give you full compensation?

but for return you still have to bear the shipping both ways.

and how damaged is considered damaged? do you still get back the damaged item after the claim and at what level of damage do they give you full compensation?

You pay to ship it back to you. Tough luck.
'Damaged' is about |<---- this much ---->|
Get the item back from seller, then file a claim.
100% compensation, including cost of original shipping to customer.

Last edited:
You pay to ship it back to you. Tough luck.
'Damaged' is about |<---- this much ---->|
Get the item back from seller, then file a claim.
100% compensation, including cost of original shipping to customer.

i'm guessing it's the same service for shipping it back, full insurance and all? do they pay out the cost for return from buyer if it was damaged? what if it was damaged 1st round and further damaged during return?

i'm guessing it's the same service for shipping it back, full insurance and all? do they pay out the cost for return from buyer if it was damaged? what if it was damaged 1st round and further damaged during return?

Tolstoy was born at Yasnaya Polyana, a family estate 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) southwest of Tula, Russia and 200 kilometers (120 mi) south of Moscow. The Tolstoys were a well-known family of old Russian nobility, tracing their ancestry to a mythical Lithuanian noble Indris.[4][5] He was the fourth of five children of Count Nikolai Ilyich Tolstoy, a veteran of the Patriotic War of 1812, and Countess Mariya Tolstaya (Volkonskaya). Tolstoy's parents died when he was young, so he and his siblings were brought up by relatives. In 1844, he began studying law and oriental languages at Kazan University. His teachers described him as "both unable and unwilling to learn."[6] Tolstoy left the university in the middle of his studies, returned to Yasnaya Polyana and then spent much of his time in Moscow and Saint Petersburg. In 1851, after running up heavy gambling debts, he went with his older brother to the Caucasus and joined the army. It was about this time that he started writing.

His conversion from a dissolute and privileged society author to the non-violent and spiritual anarchist of his latter days was brought about by his experience in the army as well as two trips around Europe in 1857 and 1860–61. Others who followed the same path were Alexander Herzen, Mikhail Bakunin and Peter Kropotkin. During his 1857 visit, Tolstoy witnessed a public execution in Paris, a traumatic experience that would mark the rest of his life. Writing in a letter to his friend Vasily Botkin: "The truth is that the State is a conspiracy designed not only to exploit, but above all to corrupt its citizens ... Henceforth, I shall never serve any government anywhere."[7] Tolstoy's concept of non-violence or Ahimsa was bolstered when he read a German version of the Tirukkural. He later instilled the concept in Mahatma Gandhi through his A Letter to a Hindu when young Gandhi corresponded with him seeking his advice.[8]

His European trip in 1860–61 shaped both his political and literary development when he met Victor Hugo, whose literary talents Tolstoy praised after reading Hugo's newly finished Les Misérables. The similar evocation of battle scenes in Hugo's novel and Tolstoy's War and Peace indicates this influence. Tolstoy's political philosophy was also influenced by a March 1861 visit to French anarchist Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, then living in exile under an assumed name in Brussels. Apart from reviewing Proudhon's forthcoming publication, La Guerre et la Paix (War and Peace in French), whose title Tolstoy would borrow for his masterpiece, the two men discussed education, as Tolstoy wrote in his educational notebooks: "If I recount this conversation with Proudhon, it is to show that, in my personal experience, he was the only man who understood the significance of education and of the printing press in our time."

Fired by enthusiasm, Tolstoy returned to Yasnaya Polyana and founded 13 schools for children of Russia's peasants, who had just been emancipated from serfdom in 1861. Tolstoy described the school's principles in his 1862 essay "The School at Yasnaya Polyana".[9] Tolstoy's educational experiments were short-lived, partly due to harassment by the Tsarist secret police. However, as a direct forerunner to A. S. Neill's Summerhill School, the school at Yasnaya Polyana[10] can justifiably be claimed the first example of a coherent theory of democratic education.

Death

Tolstoy's grave with flowers at Yasnaya Polyana
Tolstoy died in 1910, at the age of 82. Just prior to his death, his health had been a concern of his family, who were actively engaged in his care on a daily basis. During his last few days, he had spoken and written about dying. Renouncing his aristocratic lifestyle, he had finally gathered the nerve to separate from his wife, and left home in the middle of winter, in the dead of night.[11] His secretive departure was an apparent attempt to escape unannounced from Sophia's jealous tirades. She was outspokenly opposed to many of his teachings, and in recent years had grown envious of the attention which it seemed to her Tolstoy lavished upon his Tolstoyan "disciples".

Tolstoy died of pneumonia[12] at Astapovo train station, after a day's rail journey south.[13] The station master took Tolstoy to his apartment, and his personal doctors were called to the scene. He was given injections of morphine and camphor.

The police tried to limit access to his funeral procession, but thousands of peasants lined the streets. Still, some were heard to say that, other than knowing that "some nobleman had died", they knew little else about Tolstoy.[14]

According to some sources, Tolstoy spent the last hours of his life preaching love, nonviolence, and Georgism to his fellow passengers on the train.[15]

Personal life
On September 23, 1862, Tolstoy married Sophia Andreevna Behrs, who was 16 years his junior and the daughter of a court physician. She was called Sonya, the Russian diminutive of Sofia, by her family and friends.[16] They had 13 children, eight of whom survived childhood:[17]

Tolstoy's wife Sophia and their daughter Alexandra
Count Sergei Lvovich Tolstoy (July 10, 1863 – December 23, 1947), composer and ethnomusicologist
Countess Tatyana Lvovna Tolstaya (October 4, 1864 – September 21, 1950), wife of Mikhail Sergeevich Sukhotin
Count Ilya Lvovich Tolstoy (May 22, 1866 – December 11, 1933), writer
Count Lev Lvovich Tolstoy (June 1, 1869 – October 18, 1945), writer and sculptor
Countess Maria Lvovna Tolstaya (1871–1906), wife of Nikolai Leonidovich Obolensky
Count Peter Lvovich Tolstoy (1872–1873), died in infancy
Count Nikolai Lvovich Tolstoy (1874–1875), died in infancy
Countess Varvara Lvovna Tolstaya (1875–1875), died in infancy
Count Andrei Lvovich Tolstoy (1877–1916), served in the Russo-Japanese War
Count Michael Lvovich Tolstoy (1879–1944)
Count Alexei Lvovich Tolstoy (1881–1886)
Countess Alexandra Lvovna Tolstaya (July 18, 1884 – September 26, 1979)
Count Ivan Lvovich Tolstoy (1888–1895)
The marriage was marked from the outset by sexual passion and emotional insensitivity when Tolstoy, on the eve of their marriage, gave her his diaries detailing his extensive sexual past and the fact that one of the serfs on his estate had borne him a son.[16] Even so, their early married life was happy and allowed Tolstoy much freedom to compose War and Peace and Anna Karenina with Sonya acting as his secretary, proofreader and financial manager.[16]

However, their later life together has been described by A. N. Wilson as one of the unhappiest in literary history. Tolstoy's relationship with his wife deteriorated as his beliefs became increasingly radical. This saw him seeking to reject his inherited and earned wealth, including the renunciation of the copyrights on his earlier works.

The Tolstoy family left Russia in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution and the subsequent establishment of the Soviet Union, and Leo Tolstoy's relatives and descendants today live in Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, France and the United States. Among them are Swedish singer Viktoria Tolstoy and Swedish landowner Christopher Paus, Herresta.

Novels and fictional works

Leo Tolstoy 1897
Tolstoy is one of the giants of Russian literature; his works include the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina and novellas such as Hadji Murad and The Death of Ivan Ilyich. His contemporaries paid him lofty tributes. Fyodor Dostoyevsky thought him the greatest of all living novelists. Gustave Flaubert, on reading a translation of War and Peace, exclaimed, "What an artist and what a psychologist!" Anton Chekhov, who often visited Tolstoy at his country estate, wrote, "When literature possesses a Tolstoy, it is easy and pleasant to be a writer; even when you know you have achieved nothing yourself and are still achieving nothing, this is not as terrible as it might otherwise be, because Tolstoy achieves for everyone. What he does serves to justify all the hopes and aspirations invested in literature." The 19th-century British poet and critic Matthew Arnold opined that "a novel by Tolstoy is not a work of art but a piece of life".[18]

Later critics and novelists continue to bear testament to Tolstoy's art. Virginia Woolf declared him "the greatest of all novelists."[18] James Joyce noted that, "He is never dull, never stupid, never tired, never pedantic, never theatrical!". Thomas Mann wrote of Tolstoy's seemingly guileless artistry: "Seldom did art work so much like nature". Such sentiments were shared by the likes of Proust, Faulkner and Nabokov. The latter heaped superlatives upon The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Anna Karenina; he questioned, however, the reputation of War and Peace, and sharply criticized Resurrection and The Kreutzer Sonata.

Tolstoy's earliest works, the autobiographical novels Childhood, Boyhood, and Youth (1852–1856), tell of a rich landowner's son and his slow realization of the chasm between himself and his peasants. Though he later rejected them as sentimental, a great deal of Tolstoy's own life is revealed. They retain their relevance as accounts of the universal story of growing up.

Tolstoy served as a second lieutenant in an artillery regiment during the Crimean War, recounted in his Sevastopol Sketches. His experiences in battle helped stir his subsequent pacifism and gave him material for realistic depiction of the horrors of war in his later work.[19]

His fiction consistently attempts to convey realistically the Russian society in which he lived.[20] The Cossacks (1863) describes the Cossack life and people through a story of a Russian aristocrat in love with a Cossack girl. Anna Karenina (1877) tells parallel stories of an adulterous woman trapped by the conventions and falsities of society and of a philosophical landowner (much like Tolstoy), who works alongside the peasants in the fields and seeks to reform their lives. Tolstoy not only drew from his own life experiences but also created characters in his own image, such as Pierre Bezukhov and Prince Andrei in War and Peace, Levin in Anna Karenina and to some extent, Prince Nekhlyudov in Resurrection.

The Power of Darkness

2015 at Vienna's Akademietheater
Photographs: Francisco Peralta Torrejón
War and Peace is generally thought to be one of the greatest novels ever written, remarkable for its dramatic breadth and unity. Its vast canvas includes 580 characters, many historical with others fictional. The story moves from family life to the headquarters of Napoleon, from the court of Alexander I of Russia to the battlefields of Austerlitz and Borodino. Tolstoy's original idea for the novel was to investigate the causes of the Decembrist revolt, to which it refers only in the last chapters, from which can be deduced that Andrei Bolkonsky's son will become one of the Decembrists. The novel explores Tolstoy's theory of history, and in particular the insignificance of individuals such as Napoleon and Alexander. Somewhat surprisingly, Tolstoy did not consider War and Peace to be a novel (nor did he consider many of the great Russian fictions written at that time to be novels). This view becomes less surprising if one considers that Tolstoy was a novelist of the realist school who considered the novel to be a framework for the examination of social and political issues in nineteenth-century life.[21] War and Peace (which is to Tolstoy really an epic in prose) therefore did not qualify. Tolstoy thought that Anna Karenina was his first true novel.[22]

After Anna Karenina, Tolstoy concentrated on Christian themes, and his later novels such as The Death of Ivan Ilyich (1886) and What Is to Be Done? develop a radical anarcho-pacifist Christian philosophy which led to his excommunication from the Russian Orthodox Church in 1901.[23] For all the praise showered on Anna Karenina and War and Peace, Tolstoy rejected the two works later in his life as something not as true of reality.[24]

In his novel Resurrection, Tolstoy attempts to expose the injustice of man-made laws and the hypocrisy of institutionalized church. Tolstoy also explores and explains the economic philosophy of Georgism, of which he had become a very strong advocate towards the end of his life.

Back