1/6 Mego 1977 & 1978 12" Spider-man Retro Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mego 1977 12" Spider-man Retro Review

oh the memories. I had this, and the 12" Superman Mego. It's my childhood fondness of those, and the shorter Mego's I think that feeds my love for Hot Toys.

superman_hot_toys_mego.jpg
The picture isn't mine, but I love seeing these side by side because in my mind as a child the 77 Superman figure looks just like how I see my Hot Toys Superman today.

I had that Spiderman, and Hulk, Superman and Batman(the smaller ones). I got into Super Powers and Secret Wars and few years later

That's pretty cool, it is pretty cool seeing them side by side, they have a special charm about them

32964435730_88c7b93f7f_b.jpg

I had that Spiderman, and Hulk, Superman and Batman. I got into Super Powers and Secret Wars and few years later

I never had the mego's as a kid but I did have the Secret wars toys, I've been collecting the gentle giant jumbo versions too!

Very cool Pete. Sitting here watching your video with my four year old and realized I was his age when that thing came out and I got one. Mego was some of my favorites back in the day and still are. Freakin awesome man and congrats :hi5: The only Mego that I hunted down from childhood is a couple of original carded Captain Kirks. Love em :yess:

I can still remember buying a Mego Spider-Man on a Kresge card back in 1973. Absolutely love the World's Greatest Super-hero line. I know a huge part of my Hot Toys passion stems from the cloth costumes and the fact they had so many different licenses. I could play with Marvel, D.C., Trek, Apes and Oz.
Hot Toys has taken this to a similar level for me. To have Adam West beside Christopher Reeve next to Harrison Ford...well, it's the seven year old boy inside the 50 year old man. Thanks for the Mego memory!

Very cool Pete. Sitting here watching your video with my four year old and realized I was his age when that thing came out and I got one. Mego was some of my favorites back in the day and still are. Freakin awesome man and congrats :hi5: The only Mego that I hunted down from childhood is a couple of original carded Captain Kirks. Love em :yess:

That's great to hear man and thanks very much buddy, glad you two are enjoying the video:hi5:

I can still remember buying a Mego Spider-Man on a Kresge card back in 1973. Absolutely love the World's Greatest Super-hero line. I know a huge part of my Hot Toys passion stems from the cloth costumes and the fact they had so many different licenses. I could play with Marvel, D.C., Trek, Apes and Oz.
Hot Toys has taken this to a similar level for me. To have Adam West beside Christopher Reeve next to Harrison Ford...well, it's the seven year old boy inside the 50 year old man. Thanks for the Mego memory!

I wouldn't mind seeing a come back retro line of these myself, I know there are some in the 8" scale but with the 1/6 market as it is I think they would be a hit, glad you enjoyed it:)

I still have this guy, loose and boxed, as well as European and US versions of Supes, and quite a few others. They'll always strike a chord in my heart, with 12" Joes of my youth.

Actually, I'd be ready to sacrifice most of my HT collection but those? Never!

BTW, I think you stumbled on a very early, rare release. Mine are both from 77, and one of them is the one I had as a kid, but on both, the DC has been corrected into Marvel already, so congrats!:)

Last edited:

I no longer have the figure, but I still have this with the box and most some accessories

DSCN0980.JPG

I still have this guy, loose and boxed, as well as European and US versions of Supes, and quite a few others. They'll always strike a chord in my heart, with 12" Joes of my youth.

Actually, I'd be ready to sacrifice most of my HT collection but those? Never!

BTW, I think you stumbled on a very early, rare release. Mine are both from 77, and one of them is the one I had as a kid, but on both, the DC has been corrected into Marvel already, so congrats!:)

Nice, I tried to keep cost down buying loose, they can get very pricey sealed, kind of cool to think I got a rare one:yess:

I no longer have the figure, but I still have this with the box and most some accessories

View attachment 329299

That is super cool & cheesy at the same time, got to love the charm of these old toys:)

Awesome buddy!!! Gotta say I'm a fan of the 77 smaller body, but the head looks better on the 78. Both are cool to have though and nice additions to the collection.

As a kid, I had a bunch of Mego figures. I had just about all the super heroes, Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Spider-Man, Green Arrow, Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Cat Woman, etc. Even had a Conan the Barbarian in that mix. Then I had most of the Star Trek at the time too. Bridge crew, Andorian, the Mugatu, Gorn, Klingon, etc. It was about 40 years ago, so I can't remember all the ones I had, but I also had some of the playsets including the Batmobile, Joker Mobile, Enterprise bridge, Transporter, and some other stuff. Ahhh, childhood.
Ryan

Awesome buddy!!! Gotta say I'm a fan of the 77 smaller body, but the head looks better on the 78. Both are cool to have though and nice additions to the collection.

I feel the same way, even stated exactly what you just did in the review that's processing right now:lol

As a kid, I had a bunch of Mego figures. I had just about all the super heroes, Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Spider-Man, Green Arrow, Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Cat Woman, etc. Even had a Conan the Barbarian in that mix. Then I had most of the Star Trek at the time too. Bridge crew, Andorian, the Mugatu, Gorn, Klingon, etc. It was about 40 years ago, so I can't remember all the ones I had, but I also had some of the playsets including the Batmobile, Joker Mobile, Enterprise bridge, Transporter, and some other stuff. Ahhh, childhood.
Ryan

Good times:)

Cool review buddy. Coming soon the 8'' version review to make it a complete set :lol I really love these old figures man. Huge part of my childhood was playing with Mego figures. Star Trek and the bridge was my favorite though. So freaking awesome! :yess:

Cool review buddy. Coming soon the 8'' version review to make it a complete set :lol I really love these old figures man. Huge part of my childhood was playing with Mego figures. Star Trek and the bridge was my favorite though. So freaking awesome! :yess:

Mego Batman and Spidey were my first action figures; I was really, really young -- barely knew who they were thanks to television, I think. Spidey had a vehicle with a net/web thing going on. To my tiny self they looked to be 1/6 but I'm guessing they were the 8" versions...

Back