A Challenge to Sideshow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thamesvalidude

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, it is time for Brant and his colleagues to show what they are made of.
In the "Ask Sideshow" section of the Sideshow site, it states that the Buffy /Angel lines are on hold but that Sideshow would like to revisit whedonville in 12" form at some future date. In the Buffy magazine it seems Brant considers the line to be complete and over (except for blue Lorne and PF)
Well which is it? Is it over or not? Because it most certainly isn't complete and frankly it is an insult to say it is!
The Buffy line will not be complete without an Anya/Anyanka to complement the otherwise totally pointless D'Hoffryn and the Angel line hasn't even really started. Wesley was in all 5 seasons so is he not core???? Fred was in three seasons.
So here is my challenge to the folks now holed up in that ivory Tower in Thousand Oaks. If you are the same Sideshow Collectible company that got me hooked on 12"figures over 100 figures ago, the cool dudes who used to work in Westlake village and whose customer service etc was sans pareil, then at least give us another couple of Whedonville figures. You guys used to be fan boys just like us according to your early catalogues.
Of course if you are now just another superstar mega-toy corporation now, servicing just the Star Wars Johnny-come-latelys and acting as distributor for a couple of japanese 12" manufacturers, then please feel free to totally ignore your solid loyal fanbase and pretend that we had never existed and put you where you are now.
Such a typical L.A. story

Last edited:
Well, if I was Sideshow, you would've convinced me and I'd be giving you at least three more figures after reading that, thamesvalidude. :lol

and bump!! We need answers, Sideshow! (please:rolleyes: )

Slayerverse98 said:
Sounds like a good challenge. But do Sideshow read these boards?

Unfortunately, if as Ironman has said in another thread, the reaction to our campaign meets with the same degree of success as the POTA and Kurgan campaigns then we can assume that even if they do read the boards then they certainly don't listen! :rolleyes:

The only name I ever seem to see is Dusty and she seems a comparatively rare visitor these days.

Doesn't matter if they read it. Their talent, time and energy are all pooled into star wars for the forseeable future.

Yea, they read it - but they suffer from that horrible affliction - the Almighty Dollar. If it won't sell, they won't make it.

thamesvalidude said:
The only name I ever seem to see is Dusty and she seems a comparatively rare visitor these days.

Oh, I thought she was a he, good to know in case I have to address her :D

Darklord Dave said:
Yea, they read it - but they suffer from that horrible affliction - the Almighty Dollar. If it won't sell, they won't make it.
The sad part is that they WOULD sell just not as fast as Star Wars which makes it a failure.

Dusty is the only one that posts regularly - but believe me, they know what's going on with ALL the fan boards.

Yeah, they read this board and know how upset we are, but I'm sure they already knew how pissed we were gonna be. The fact that they killed both lines anyway tells me there's not enough of us Buffy/Angel collectors left to matter to them.

If they read the boards then why are they so ignorant? They've not posted anything about the lines being on hold on the Buffy page. They won't answer our questions or requests for more figures either. And to think i only signed up to their website to buy Buffy/Angel figures. I feel cheated in a way

Sideshow of old used to listen consistently to the people who buy, when it came to suggestions on which lines to produce. Now they have gotten big enough to make their own line choices based on projected interest and above all...sales. The Buffy line is fading because the overall interest has. :monkey2

I can see why they are doing this. They have the grand daddy of all licenses with Star Wars. They have no more movies that are going to come out to generate interest, the line is still pretty new and exciting, and they have a big year with CIV and the anniversary and all that. This is a good opportunity to maximize their sales before even the mighty Star Wars juggernaut begins to wane (which it will and probably already has.)
This doesn't excuse them from dumping lines that customers have supported extremely well. Look at the edition sizes:
7500 Graduation day Buffy- SOLD OUT
7500 Human Spike SOLD OUT
7500 Angel SOLD OUT
7500 Vampire Willow SOLD OUT
6000 Vampire Spike SOLD OUT
5000 Faith SOLD OUT Despite the fact its a very bad likeness.
2500 Der Kinderestod SOLD OUT
2000 Drusilla SOLD OUT
2000 City of Angel SOLD OUT
1500 Cordelia SOLD OUT
1500 Lorne SOLD OUT
1000 Vampire Angel SOLD OUT
750 Xander SOLD OUT
750 Oz SOLD OUT
750 Darla SOLD OUT
750 D'Hoffryn SOLD OUT
750 Liam/Angelus SOLD OUT
750 Werewolf Oz SOLD OUT

4000 Willow
4000 The Master
Giles edition size is still TBD
Thats considerably more than 55,000 figures. Hardly a dead line.
Consider what it would take to keep this line moving. I'm sure they see what Buffy and Spike are getting on ebay, thats probably a guaranteed 3000 each and they don't need much more than a headsculpt to get them done since they have the bodies and the clothing patterns can be reused from existing costumes. Is it really so far fetched to think you could sell 1500 Wesley, 1000 Tara, Anya, 750 Dawn, 750 Fred, hell even 500 Rileys would probably sell.

Anzik Hayes said:
I can see why they are doing this. They have the grand daddy of all licenses with Star Wars. They have no more movies that are going to come out to generate interest, the line is still pretty new and exciting, and they have a big year with CIV and the anniversary and all that. This is a good opportunity to maximize their sales before even the mighty Star Wars juggernaut begins to wane (which it will and probably already has.)
This doesn't excuse them from dumping lines that customers have supported extremely well. Look at the edition sizes:
7500 Graduation day Buffy- SOLD OUT
7500 Human Spike SOLD OUT
7500 Angel SOLD OUT
7500 Vampire Willow SOLD OUT
6000 Vampire Spike SOLD OUT
5000 Faith SOLD OUT Despite the fact its a very bad likeness.
2500 Der Kinderestod SOLD OUT
2000 Drusilla SOLD OUT
2000 City of Angel SOLD OUT
1500 Cordelia SOLD OUT
1500 Lorne SOLD OUT
1000 Vampire Angel SOLD OUT
750 Xander SOLD OUT
750 Oz SOLD OUT
750 Darla SOLD OUT
750 D'Hoffryn SOLD OUT
750 Liam/Angelus SOLD OUT
750 Werewolf Oz SOLD OUT

4000 Willow
4000 The Master
Giles edition size is still TBD
Thats considerably more than 55,000 figures. Hardly a dead line.
Consider what it would take to keep this line moving. I'm sure they see what Buffy and Spike are getting on ebay, thats probably a guaranteed 3000 each and they don't need much more than a headsculpt to get them done since they have the bodies and the clothing patterns can be reused from existing costumes. Is it really so far fetched to think you could sell 1500 Wesley, 1000 Tara, Anya, 750 Dawn, 750 Fred, hell even 500 Rileys would probably sell.

And they did a 500 edition size for Skinner from XFiles

Darklord Dave said:

But....Wouldn't it also stand to reason, If they don't make it, it can't sell?

Sideshow of old used to listen consistently to the people who buy, when it came to suggestions on which lines to produce.

They've never acknowledged that any line or character was ever fan inspired.

They read the boards and listen to suggestions, sure - but the decision of which line to make, which character to make, and which line to let fade away has always been an internal decision with no real outside influence that I could see.

Might as well just get it over with and change their name to $tar War$ Collectibles.:rolleyes:

Ironman1188 said:
Now, they just don't acknowledge the fans at all.

Sadly sad, dear old friend, sad, but true!

Let's see: Bond- on hold (like yeah right) X-Files on hold (ooo yeah right) Highlander complete (hahahha yeah right) Buffy Angel complete (what the **** yeah right)

Come on AbsoluteHarmony etc....lets see some sculpts from the talent out there!
With the Hunky artists, binkys, custommikeys etc out there with talent oozing from every pore we can't go wrong.

If hulkfan...andy...had a bit of spare time and a revolutionary nature, however:monkey5

(Cos I'm F*****g useless, me!)

Back