Sideshow Evil Dead 2 Ash review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It might seem like the world of sixth scale is all Marvel and Star Wars these days, but it's not. Sideshow has just released a character from one of their slightly (but only slightly) off beat licenses, Ash Williams from Evil Dead 2. This is an excellent release for them, hampered mostly from a high price point. You can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-022717a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

review_evildead2_large.jpg

Great review! I enjoyed reading through it. Think I am going to pass, it's at least twenty bucks too much and probably closer to forty if being honest. Plus sideshow charges over twenty bucks to ship, waaaaay over their actual cost. I wish the head accessory was replaced with the tape recorder. The possessed hand should also be standard issue. But the tape recorder was a deal breaker for me.

The biggest gripe is the price. $200-$220 would have been the sweet spot in today's market; under that would have been fantastic. I'm looking at $275 though SS.

If you forsake the RPs, BBTS has less than 20 in stock and you can do basic shipping for sub $10. It's still stupid expensive, but an option nonetheless. I went that route because it basically is getting my RPs added to the purchase as opposed to paying that awful $20 something shipping from SS. Maybe I'll come to my senses and cancel, but I've always loved the style of Ash, even before I saw the movie. The NECA figure pretty much has never been put away since I got it. We'll see.

"There are those out there who hate Sideshow and anything Sideshow does, so much so it's become a religion for them. "

And for good reason.

The biggest gripe is the price. $200-$220 would have been the sweet spot in today's market; under that would have been fantastic. I'm looking at $275 though SS.

yeah, when you are pushing $300 you really gotta ask, 'just how bad do I need this thing?' And this base body has been known to have some issues with tight joints or not tight joints

Honestly, that is one of the best final production pieces SSC has ever done. My only gripe: chin is about 33% too small....man was called, 'the chin' for a reason!!!

Last edited:
It's a solid and well done figure... and if Sideshow had been consistently delivering this kind of quality for the last 5 years I imagine the price tag would be easier to justify. But it's just out of line with other manufacturers, even those (like HT) that do deliver the highest quality consistently.

As it is I'm happy I picked up this Ash and compared to what kitbashing one costs (I put over $300 into mine years ago) it's the best option.

It's a solid and well done figure... and if Sideshow had been consistently delivering this kind of quality for the last 5 years I imagine the price tag would be easier to justify. But it's just out of line with other manufacturers, even those (like HT) that do deliver the highest quality consistently.

As it is I'm happy I picked up this Ash and compared to what kitbashing one costs (I put over $300 into mine years ago) it's the best option.

SSC is definitely in the 'little too little/too late' category for these prices.....I noticed that the pics for the PF Jyn even looked pretty off for what is usually a hand painted proto?

But I agree, this is a solid effort on Sideshow's part all around. If their Dengar comes out this nice, I will probably order that one........

Looks like the paint work on the unmasked Wolverine also came out nice... so there's hope for Dengar.

Looks like the paint work on the unmasked Wolverine also came out nice... so there's hope for Dengar.

big time....will check out the wolverine thread........and it's funny, I have no interest in any of the bounty hunters except for that lovable Diaper Head

Always loved the weird characters the most....

Dengar is a cool looking figure... I already have Bossk and Fett; so I know I'll get him, Zuckuss and 4-Lom as well. I admit I have a sickness :lol

Back