Iron Man - DIE CAST Worth the Extra $$ ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Title says it all...

I'm interested in picking up a hot toys iron man...havent nailed down which one yet. It the Diecast that much better for the price?

I prefer DC. Others will say 'looks the same', but when I handle the figure I just dig the solid-ness of DC.

I've never owned any plastic Iron Men so I can't really compare it to DC, however I do own the War Machine Mk I DC and lemme say that things feels premium AF!

I think the Diecast are overpriced,that said they are very nice in hand. The heft definitely adds a more premium feel,but having them on the shelf side by side they are almost indistinguishable from one another. Both plastic and diecast are worth owning.

Which version of the two MarkVIs currently available for order or purchase would I prefer to buy, just on the photos we've seen?... no contest...

Not worth the extra $ IMO unless you're picking it up everyday. Visually, there is no diff.

I have 43 armors and I love both plastic and DC. And as someone posted, they don't look any different once displayed. But in hand, there is a huge difference. I would say, if you are only getting 1 armor, pick the one you like the looks of best and get it. You'll never know the difference if its DC or plastic if you only get one.

No. The diecast figures are nice, but that's not because of the diecast. The articulation is not thanks to diecast, the detail is not thanks to diecast. The cost is thanks to diecast. Newer generation plastic figures like Shotgun have all the features and more, without the $100 tax. All the diecast armors in the pipe now could be just as nice looking if they were plastic. I have had it personally paying well over $300 for a 1/6 scale figure. All diecast appreciably does is up the cost and make the figure heavier. I don't factor in weight in my appreciation of a figure, in fact it limits posibility more than anything as I like flying poses.

But right now you don't get to pick. If you want the most recent versions of the classic armors, they are only diecast. The only new ones being made in plastic are the house party armors. I'd pick the armor you like the looks of the best and go from there.

It depends on what armors you are looking into ... the earlier armors (1-7) that were already made in plastic will eventually all be made again in diecast. I would wait for those based on the improvements they've made to Marks 5 and 6.

That said, I do wish they didn't cost so much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. The only difference is how much it weighs, and it's just an excuse to charge more for the Iron Man figures. The only reason I have a diecast Iron Man is because I was able to get it well below retail on Amazon with a gift card I received, and the Mark 46 I have on PO I also got heavily discounted. I definitely wouldn't pay over 300 for one of these figures.

No. The diecast figures are nice, but that's not because of the diecast. The articulation is not thanks to diecast, the detail is not thanks to diecast. The cost is thanks to diecast. Newer generation plastic figures like Shotgun have all the features and more, without the $100 tax. All the diecast armors in the pipe now could be just as nice looking if they were plastic. I have had it personally paying well over $300 for a 1/6 scale figure. All diecast appreciably does is up the cost and make the figure heavier. I don't factor in weight in my appreciation of a figure, in fact it limits posibility more than anything as I like flying poses.

But right now you don't get to pick. If you want the most recent versions of the classic armors, they are only diecast. The only new ones being made in plastic are the house party armors. I'd pick the armor you like the looks of the best and go from there.

Exactly! The diecast itself doesn't add anything to the figure except a higher cost. plastic worked and works just fine. Some of the die-cast redos do look better than the original plastic versions, but that's only because they improved the sculpts. Again, the die cast aspect itself didn't add anything but it gives HT an excuse to do a 2.0 of older figures.

marvel-iron-man-2-mark-vi-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902901-11.jpg

Versus...

marvel-avengers-iron-man-mark-vi-sixth-scale-hot-toys-9028151-01.jpg

I know which one I'm picking.

I know that the diecast has zero to do with how the figure looks. But personally I enjoy feeling the heft of the figure. And even more so, I enjoy KNOWING that the figure has a more premium feel, even when I'm NOT holding it. I don't know how to rationalize it. It's just my preference, especially for an armored figure. They very well could've achieved the same thing with plastic, but I don't mind that they didn't.

I guess it all boils down to what you want in a figure. It's a bit like with Wolverine or Deadpool imo. Does Wolverine work with plastic claws and Deapool with plastic swords? Yes, definitely. The figures will still be awesome and it won't change much, only the price. However, if I had to choose between Wolverine with plastic claws or metal claws, I'd always pick the latter. It just feels better, imo. Of course, if you can't afford that then go for the cheaper. I just think that IF I spend as much money as I do on these figures, I might as well get the Wolverine with metal claws and Iron Man in diecast. ^^

I guess it all boils down to what you want in a figure. It's a bit like with Wolverine or Deadpool imo. Does Wolverine work with plastic claws and Deapool with plastic swords? Yes, definitely. The figures will still be awesome and it won't change much, only the price. However, if I had to choose between Wolverine with plastic claws or metal claws, I'd always pick the latter. It just feels better, imo. Of course, if you can't afford that then go for the cheaper. I just think that IF I spend as much money as I do on these figures, I might as well get the Wolverine with metal claws and Iron Man in diecast. ^^

:goodpost:

I'd always go with diecast over plastic personally.

Which version of the two MarkVIs currently available for order or purchase would I prefer to buy, just on the photos we've seen?... no contest...

Diecast has nothing to do with any difference in the look of the two versions and you know it so by make a post like this?

Diecast is nothing but a $100 tax per figure.

Back