BILLY with glass-door owners...question!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmoney5000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey so this is a question for those that own the Billy bookcase with glass-door, the one that actually comes with the glass-door and NOT the one that comes without the glass door (see link for the exact one I'm speaking of).

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50323804/#/20323805

But does it do a good job in keeping dust out? Or does dust still manage to get in somehow? If so, does the glass-door cut down on the amount of dust that gets in though?

I'm shopping for my first display and I think I want to go with this one, but keeping my Hot Toys dust-free is kind of a priority, so I would like to know if this does a good job in keeping dust out.

Thanks!

I have a Billy with the Morliden glass doors, and while they cut down the amount of dust that gets in, it isn't going to completely stop it getting in. I have to clean it every few months, and it's never really that bad

I agree with Dix. Another thing to keep in mind is that the door frames will block some of the view into the shelves, especially the center space where the two doors meet. If they offered a Detolf-type of frameless glass door, that would be fantastic.

I have a Billy with the Morliden glass doors, and while they cut down the amount of dust that gets in, it isn't going to completely stop it getting in. I have to clean it every few months, and it's never really that bad

So did you get the Billy first and then add the glass doors afterwards?
Also do you think it's possible to apply a seal where the glass doors meet to possible eliminate dust?

I agree with Dix. Another thing to keep in mind is that the door frames will block some of the view into the shelves, especially the center space where the two doors meet. If they offered a Detolf-type of frameless glass door, that would be fantastic.

Yeah, I'm aware the frame will partially obstruct the view, which is a shame, however in my opinion the Billy is visually more sleek and appealing than the Detolf, which kind of looks cheap in my opinion.

So did you get the Billy first and then add the glass doors afterwards?
Also do you think it's possible to apply a seal where the glass doors meet to possible eliminate dust?

I got the Billy / Morliden set in one go, 2 glass shelves, and dioders. You buy the frame by itself, and the two doors as well, and it equals out to $189.99 and tax, so like this:
billy.jpg
I just remember the doors being a bit of a ***** to get onto the frame and adjust, but it looks really good when it's all said and done. And I've thought about sealing the door, like I've seen people seal their detolfs, but the amount of dust that gets in hasn't ever been that extreme, so I'm not super worried about it.

not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think of something like this

Yes, a bit more pricey. But doesn't seem like any dust can get in.

Attachments

• ifdc4040bk.rw_zoom.jpg
    ifdc4040bk.rw_zoom.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 380

I'm sure dust will get in, it just won't be a lot. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

Thanks for hijacking. I'm always on the look out for display cases that aren't Ikea. That looks way nicer than a Detolf, but the price tag isn't wallet-friendly, however it's definitely something I would consider so thanks for sharing!

I got the Billy / Morliden set in one go, 2 glass shelves, and dioders. You buy the frame by itself, and the two doors as well, and it equals out to $189.99 and tax, so like this:
View attachment 321808
I just remember the doors being a bit of a ***** to get onto the frame and adjust, but it looks really good when it's all said and done. And I've thought about sealing the door, like I've seen people seal their detolfs, but the amount of dust that gets in hasn't ever been that extreme, so I'm not super worried about it.

Thanks for all the info!

Do you have a picture of your Billy you can share?

Not a problem! I've changed some things up since taking these, but they're the newest ones I have on my phone.

7308ebf265aaffb56320f96820f80375.jpg

1cf92eaf30b4702d99fd85915560e33e.jpg

Thanks for sharing!
In the second photo, does the gap between the door bother you at all? Cause for me I would freak out over possible dust getting in.
Also, are those modified shelves? Or are those the shelves that came with the Billy?

Thanks for sharing!
In the second photo, does the gap between the door bother you at all? Cause for me I would freak out over possible dust getting in.
Also, are those modified shelves? Or are those the shelves that came with the Billy?
The gap doesn't bug me. The doors are adjustable, but with the little handles, they are far center as they can go. If you offset the handles, the gap can probably be closed more. The shelves are movable aside from the center one. I only have one of the shelves that came with the Billy in it currently at the bottom to hide manga and other stuff. And just glass shelves you can buy at ikea, no mods.
Though, if you do the glass shelves, put them in before you add the doors. They have u-clips that they're supposed to sit in, but I added them later, so they sit on top of the clips because they wouldn't fit with the doors on . I cut out shelf grip and it sits under the glass to keep the panes from moving around.

The gap doesn't bug me. The doors are adjustable, but with the little handles, they are far center as they can go. If you offset the handles, the gap can probably be closed more. The shelves are movable aside from the center one. I only have one of the shelves that came with the Billy in it currently at the bottom to hide manga and other stuff. And just glass shelves you can buy at ikea, no mods.
Though, if you do the glass shelves, put them in before you add the doors. They have u-clips that they're supposed to sit in, but I added them later, so they sit on top of the clips because they wouldn't fit with the doors on . I cut out shelf grip and it sits under the glass to keep the panes from moving around.

Awesome, thanks for the advice and being so thorough! Much appreciated! :hi5:

The gap isn't where the dust really gets in. It's the edges around the doors. The doors because of the hinges, don't sit completely flush against the frame of the cabinet. Because if they did, there wouldn't be enough clearance for the doors to actually open. It's hard to describe without seeing it
Because of that, when the doors are closed, there is going to be a gap of roughly 4mm or so all the way around the edges of the doors. So even if the doors are adjusted so there is no gap in the middle, there is always a gap along all edges. Unless you get some weatherproofing stuff from home depot or something.

You guys might try some V Weatherstripping. Its good for really narrow gaps especially on normal cabinets where you can hide it. The only trouble Ive had with it is sometimes the flaps warp a bit but usually thats on wider gaps. Better than nothing. It would probably work well between the two doors also.

7E985E2C-90D1-492F-B77E-644F3D77463D.jpeg
1EA56BFE-1023-4977-B884-4BB836D7E163.jpeg

Back