Replacing glass shelves with acrylic shelves?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KryptoSlush

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't have Detolf cabinets. The nearest IKEA is several hours away and the shipping is $350 from Ikea. So I bought Coaster curio cabinets, basically the same as Detolf cabinets. I like them a lot. But I'm concerned at horror stories of glass shelves cracking or exploding out of the blue. So I'm looking into acrylic shelves to replace the glass shelves currently in the cabinets. I'm looking at TAPS Acrylite Resist for the shelves. Does anyone have any experience replace glass shelves with acrylic or any issues I would be concerned about. Thanks in advance.

Acrylic is waaaay lighter. And twice as strong.

You'll need tools to cut the acrylic to size. Costs more to have it cut for you.

The rest of the cabinet is just as susceptible to exploding as the shelves. When it happens, it's usually due to a flaw in the glass, not a result of what's on them (provided you don't over load them).

The rest of the cabinet is just as susceptible to exploding as the shelves. When it happens, it's usually due to a flaw in the glass, not a result of what's on them (provided you don't over load them).

The way these cabinets are made, if the side, back, and front glass exploded, the shelves would still stand, though of course it would be a pain to clean up. :)

The shelves are not over loaded. Five to six mini-busts or two to three 1/6 scale or smaller statues per shelf.

Does anyone have experience with TAPS?

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylite_plus_clear/509

Guy on Facebook makes acrylic shelfs for detolfs. Stoney stands. I've bought off him before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back