Prop Question to United Cutlery Black Arrow Owners

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWordWizard

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hello! Back around early December I received the Black Arrow from United Cutlery (amazing piece, by the way. Pictures really don't do it's size justice), and mounted it on my wall with the plaque, making sure to keep the threading on the shaft above one of the grips, as the instructions said. However just this past week I noticed it had slipped past the bottom grip and slid to the floor. The threading was still intact, but the foam on the grip has come off and slid down to the bottom of the grip. I reattached it properly (with a lot of effort: the glue used to hold the foam in place was still incredibly sticky, and it was hard to pull it off of where it had slid down to), and remounted the arrow, hoping it was just a fluke. however that evening I came home from work and found it had slipped down again, but this time the foam was still in place, and the threading was still intact. I wish I had thought to take pictures the first time, but alas I was more concerned with trying to get the foam back into place, so I hope I described this well enough. I'd take pictures now but nothing seems to be wrong, and it even holds the arrow for a bit when I replace it (to the point where if falls only long after I've waited for it to do so and left the room), but I don't want to do that too much at risk of damaging it any further.
My question is if anybody else had a similar issue with their Black Arrow, and if anybody had any suggestions to go about fixing this? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hello! Back around early December I received the Black Arrow from United Cutlery (amazing piece, by the way. Pictures really don't do it's size justice), and mounted it on my wall with the plaque, making sure to keep the threading on the shaft above one of the grips, as the instructions said. However just this past week I noticed it had slipped past the bottom grip and slid to the floor. The threading was still intact, but the foam on the grip has come off and slid down to the bottom of the grip. I reattached it properly (with a lot of effort: the glue used to hold the foam in place was still incredibly sticky, and it was hard to pull it off of where it had slid down to), and remounted the arrow, hoping it was just a fluke. however that evening I came home from work and found it had slipped down again, but this time the foam was still in place, and the threading was still intact. I wish I had thought to take pictures the first time, but alas I was more concerned with trying to get the foam back into place, so I hope I described this well enough. I'd take pictures now but nothing seems to be wrong, and it even holds the arrow for a bit when I replace it (to the point where if falls only long after I've waited for it to do so and left the room), but I don't want to do that too much at risk of damaging it any further.
My question is if anybody else had a similar issue with their Black Arrow, and if anybody had any suggestions to go about fixing this? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Don't have the Black Arrow, but something like that - assuming it's vertically hung - I'd head to a hardware store and grab some furniture grippers/protectors - they come in felt and rubber, self adhesive pads that I'd cut to fit and use on both the mounting clips and the arrow, as needed. The rubber ones are black so not visible, and the felt ones can be stained with whatever. Used these to stabilize a replica sword mount and also to keep sword tip from banging into the wall. You can stack them for thickness too. Might even strip off the arrow grip and replace w. wrapped rubber pads - no expert but sounds like original grip is beginning to break down *cheap* foam.

Don't have the Black Arrow, but something like that - assuming it's vertically hung - I'd head to a hardware store and grab some furniture grippers/protectors - they come in felt and rubber, self adhesive pads that I'd cut to fit and use on both the mounting clips and the arrow, as needed. The rubber ones are black so not visible, and the felt ones can be stained with whatever. Used these to stabilize a replica sword mount and also to keep sword tip from banging into the wall. You can stack them for thickness too. Might even strip off the arrow grip and replace w. wrapped rubber pads - no expert but sounds like original grip is beginning to break down *cheap* foam.
Hm, good tip! I might have to try that out! Thanks! Though, to be honest, having had it resting on the ground for over a week now, I kinda like having the tip closer to eye-level. It looks a bit more eye-catching, somehow! :lol Regardless, I'll probably try out your tip anyway! I can always move it down in the mount if I do!

Mine is fine and holding strong.
Hm, mine must have just slipped or something then. I did follow Sassafras's advice (attached it right to the inside of the foam. Can't even tell it's there when the arrow is in place), and it can hold strongly where I had it before, but I ended up moving it back down to rest on the floor. I really like having the tip closer to eye level. :lol

Back