Premium Format 1/4 Scale vs 1/6 Scale Action Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mharless

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I am new to collecting PF and I am fighting by own collection addiction. I want to buy everything. I am curious though. I only have PF items, but have thought about switching to the 1/6 scale figures. I know you save money and loose the size. Gain the ability to pose them. Thoughts? Why PF over 1/6 scale? Why 1/6 scale over PF? If 1/6 scale what do you prefer between Sideshow and Hot Toys?

I have considered narrowing my collection to only Star Wars and then only Vader. Maybe collect everything from PF, Legendary Scale, and Busts. Limit it to that on only that character. Keeps me from buying everything thing that tickles my fancy.

I have been putting my PF items in custom display cases I buy and they look like art in a museum when people visit. Not sure the 1/6 scale would have that appeal.

Sometimes the 1/4 scale are 2 to 3 times the cost of the 1/6. Is it worth dropping down to the 1/6 scale? Are they as good as detail?

In the Star Wars realm the Imperial characters in PF form are quite bad looking. Not just inaccurate but with weird poses: Snowtrooper (weird pose, thin body), Stormtrooper (weird pose, short back leg), Scout (pooping in the woods), Sandtrooper (underfed, bland pose). The HT 1/6 versions are much better.

How are the Sideshow 1/6 scale? Should I just stick to HT 1/6 scale or Sideshow 1/6 scale?

Buy whatever moves you.

That can be a $22 action figure or a $300 action figure or a $50 statue or a $500 statue.

I can get as much pleasure posing a $22 figure as I can looking at a museum piece statue.

Last edited:
I have a shelf system from www.everblocksystems.com. The current PF's I have are exposed to house dust. Should that be a concern? I dust them with a brush and compressed air about every 2 weeks. Is it ok to keep them in the open like that? What about the 1/6 scale...is it ok to keep them exposed also or should I look at putting them in custom acrylic cases?

Is it worth dropping down to the 1/6 scale? Are they as good as detail?

1/6 from Hot Toys or an equally reputable company (not Sideshow) is almost guaranteed to have more details and lifelike qualities than PFs. Sideshow paint apps are passable at best, garbage at worst.

1/6 from Hot Toys or an equally reputable company (not Sideshow) is almost guaranteed to have more details and lifelike qualities than PFs. Sideshow paint apps are passable at best, garbage at worst.

Until you notice a seam or those ugly stands most have. My 1/6 pieces were quickly sold when I started getting into 1/4 PFs. There have been great and poor paintwork on different PFs, even from piece to piece of the same statue, but overall the size/presence plus no seams and mixed media on nice bases wins for me all day.

I only own 2 PF's: ANH Darth Vader and Stormtrooper, and none is among my favorite items in my collection, far from it. Both are nice from distance, but when you look close, you realize how inaccurate and weirdly posed the Stormtrooper is, at least ANH Vader is not the opera singer we got with the new PF, but the helmet looks like a Rubies. Have seen SW and Marvel PFs in a friend's collection, and haven't been impressed. The only good thing is their bigger size - 1/4, as opposed to 1/6. Some of the PF sculpts were decent, but the paint apps were atrocious on too many. And most had little or no resemblance to the character/actor. This was the reason I never got into PF's, not even Imperials which are my focus. I prefer to get 1/6 from Hot Toys or props.

So you really prefer the PF over the 1/6 scale? I have the Vader, Fett, and the 3 HULKS (Red, Green, and Grey). I thought they looked fantastic. But when I look at total price of all of them I want to curl up in the fetal position and weep like a child.

So you really prefer the PF over the 1/6 scale? I have the Vader, Fett, and the 3 HULKS (Red, Green, and Grey). I thought they looked fantastic. But when I look at total price of all of them I want to curl up in the fetal position and weep like a child.

If you are asking me (as the last reply to your message), then the answer is no, I prefer the HT 1/6 to the SW PF's. If you are asking 67L88Stingray, then maybe you should have quoted him.

If you are asking me (as the last reply to your message), then the answer is no, I prefer the HT 1/6 to the SW PF's. If you are asking 67L88Stingray, then maybe you should have quoted him.

I don't care for most of the SW PFs either, only have Talon and Malgus(with Vader Iron Studios on order), but other lines like LOTR are almost all superb. Just depends on the individual piece. There are plenty of HTs that blow their PF counterparts away(Reeve Superman for example), but I don't like mixing scales too much so I sold my last 1/6 hold outs(except the Batmobiles) when I decided to go 1/4 and up for figures.

Back