Possible trend of Cheaper Comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawpaw

Super Freak
Reaction score
I read this article today and it got me wondering: with DC now charging $2.99 (mostly) for its comic books, could we see companies such as IDW, Marvel, Titan, Vertigo, Boom!, etc. start decreasing prices to actually make MORE sales money?

I can honestly say I would buy more books if they were cheaper. I am guilty of impulse buys in that if I see a comic for $1 and it's a title I like, I buy it. Hopefully we see a change in comic pricing as no one wants to pay $4-5 each for POS comics like this Marvel is pumping out ATM.

the prices are 2.99 because instead of once per month some of the books are being put out several times per month and they are fewer pages. so if your following a series like Batman or Wonder Woman you need to buy 2-3 a month instead of one. i do prefer this even if im spending more per month because you dont have to wait as long to keep continuing the story.

I agree. You do get more story per month overall. What helps is the stories are much better, paired with $2.99 price tag. I just hope these publishers get some economics sense and drop these back down some. $2.50 would work well for them and they would make even more money each month,

I'm the same way with figures and statues. If figures were still around $180 I'd be buying more. If PF's were under $400 I'd buy more. For comics, I don't see why they can't at least try out a $2-$2.50 price point again and see what happens--especially for the books that come out biweekly.

I read this article today and it got me wondering: with DC now charging $2.99 (mostly) for its comic books, could we see companies such as IDW, Marvel, Titan, Vertigo, Boom!, etc. start decreasing prices to actually make MORE sales money?

I can honestly say I would buy more books if they were cheaper. I am guilty of impulse buys in that if I see a comic for $1 and it's a title I like, I buy it. Hopefully we see a change in comic pricing as no one wants to pay $4-5 each for POS comics like this Marvel is pumping out ATM.

If Marvel books were a $1 an issue, I still wouldn't buy most of them. Toilet paper is cheaper when I want to wipe my ass. IMO, that's all a Marvel book is good for nowadays.

Would a radical drop in prices change the market share of companies bringing in more people who just want stories not shared universe stories?

:lol one could dream. Then again, their stories aren't that good right now anyways.

:lol

I agree with you about their stories; having said that I am enjoying Steve Rogers: Captain America, The Mighty Thor, Star Wars and Star Wars: Darth Vader.

Everything else on my pull list is DC. :D

Price was never an issue for me, but the writers these days don't cater to me.

Back