NECA Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vector

Super Freak
Reaction score
From Toyark:

NECA has quietly revealed, in a tweet, that they will be making toys based on the upcoming film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. The movie, the latest sci-fi epic from Luc Besson (director of The Fifth Element), features some wildly imaginative character and location designs, all ripe for some quality action figures. Check out the trailer and synopsis below.

In the 28th century, special operatives Valerian (Dane DeHaan) and Laureline (Cara Delevingne) maintain order throughout the universe for the government of the human territories. Under orders from their commander (Clive Owen), the duo embark on a mission to Alpha, an intergalactic city where diverse species share their technology and resources for the betterment of all. The ever-expanding metropolis is also home to sinister forces that jeopardize the future of mankind.

I used to like the comics, although I never read too many.
This should be interesting. Quite a gamble though, as I don't remember any french sci-fi epic that really spawned a big fan base, or big enough to warrant toys.

I put up the thread on this for informational purposes for anyone interested but I rank this with the Preacher figures. A roll of the dice by NECA on something that might be popular enough to sell some figures...

A roll of the dice for sure. I can think of a few other things I wish they'd roll the dice on however - figures from properties they already have, that they have said wouldn't sell well enough. T2 John, T1 Sarah, different versions of Kyle Reese, Harrigan from Predator 2.

I suspect this will tank and fade into complete obscurity.

I'm really looking forward to this film - Besson looking like he's more or less doing as he likes with a French sci-fi comic adaptation, and Cara Delevingne's eyebrows in a lead role. Could go either way, but I really want this to be tremendous, there's good stuff in the Valerian comics for anyone who wanted to tell an interesting story.

In for an art book for sure - and if NECA (or anyone else) produces some quality figures then great, cos I'm liking the suit designs.

... mind you, last time I said that was Pr*m*th*us, but we don't talk of that (either the dreadful film, of the non-appearance of Shaw figures).

I'm really looking forward to this film - Besson looking like he's more or less doing as he likes with a French sci-fi comic adaptation ...
I'm less impressed with the trailer than I would have liked, mostly the look of the aliens, mostly. But then, some of the best trailers turn out to be bad films, and vise versa. So I'll hope too.

... Cara Delevingne's eyebrows ...

:lol It will be interesting to see how the production paint turns out for sure.

... I really want this to be tremendous, there's good stuff in the Valerian comics for anyone who wanted to tell an interesting story ...

I've read and seen that George Lucas drew heavily from it, for Star Wars, side by side comparisons are undeniable:

LV_Star_Wars.jpg
So the material ought to be good. Just hope people don't end up thinking Valerian is ripping off Star Wars. Danger is, it could easily come across outdated/underwhelming after Star Wars already plundered the best ideas. Cruel irony.

... if NECA (or anyone else) produces some quality figures then great, cos I'm liking the suit designs.
Suits might be good for bashing some Mass Effect customs, if nothing else. I wish NECA would do Mass Effect. :(

... mind you, last time I said that was Pr*m*th*us, but we don't talk of that (either the dreadful film, of the non-appearance of Shaw figures).
Dreadful might be a bit strong. It just didn't necessarily satisfy all of our wants. I thought it was good film, it just went off on a bit of a tangent.

And NECA is releasing Shaw, along with Vickers, and mutated Fifield. Slated for an April release, news dropped recently:
https://news.toyark.com/2016/12/09/unreleased-neca-prometheus-figures-coming-april-2017-232820
NECA-Prometheus-Series-4-Figures.jpg

Aha and I'm not the only one to see the similarities: (And wow! I didn't even notice the logos!)
CREDIT: Odeio esse forúm - https://www.mbbforum.com/mbb/showthread.php?49187-filme-VALERIAN-AND-THE-CITY-OF-A-THOUSAND-PLANETS/page6 said:
Aww I would buy all the Mass Effect figures if they made them. :(

I'd forgotten how much of the Valerian comics there was in Star Wars. Funny that never gets mentioned as much as all that highbrow stuff about classic archetypes, Joseph Cambell, & Kurosawa ;)

Just hope people don't end up thinking Valerian is ripping off Star Wars. Danger is, it could easily come across outdated/underwhelming after Star Wars already plundered the best ideas.
Well if the box office fate of John Carter is any indication...

Aha and I'm not the only one to see the similarities: (And wow! I didn't even notice the logos!)
And by their own admission, the makers of Mass Effect ripped off the aesthetics for their game directly from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within:

IMG_6780.JPG

From Toyark:

https://news.toyark.com/2017/04/27/neca-valerian-city-thousand-planets-k-tron-figure-251168

The first photos of the upcoming Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets action figures have been released by NECA. The first figure we get a look at is K-Tron, a police robot from the film. On social media, NECA has stated that the final figure will be highly articulated. We’ll get a look at the next two figures in mid-May.

From the epic sci-fi saga directed by Luc Besson, visionary director of The Fifth Element and Lucy. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets follows a pair of space-and-time-traveling special agents on a mission to the unimaginably huge intergalactic city of Alpha.

The assortment includes Valerian (with likeness of Dane DeHaan), Laureline (with likeness of Cara Delevigne), and police robot K-Tron. Each fully articulated, highly detailed figure stands approximately 7” tall and comes with character-specific accessories. Window box packaging.

City-of-a-Thousand-Planets-K-Tron.jpg

The PO for these has already sold out on BBTS and I didn't even know they had been solicited yet.

I'm really happy I will get a mini Cara Delevingne in my house
however my door is always open for the real one to come in and have tea

^^^ Exactly...:lol

Randy evidently showed that K-Tron figure on Facebook and it sold out from there. This Thousand Planets thing must be more popular than I thought.

Back