Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81
  1. #11

    Default Re: Pax build /w Acrylic doors and Glass Shelves - Finally Finished

    Awesome job mate !! glad it worked for you, these PAX with these types of doors are the perfect combo for me, I need to build quite a few more

    I also grabbed a few non drill locks that I will be installing soon, while my kids are all grown, I do have a 5 year old godson .. and just to be extra secure he won't open the doors to get a closer peek

    Good job on the glass shelves, indeed the shadow was too harsh with the shorter PAX ones.

    NullMind

  2. #12
    Super Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,908
    Feedback
    32 (100%)
    Reputation
    Visit Patriot666's Instagram Channel
    Your display turned out great! Great idea with those tension rods too. I also considered mounting the light pointing up, looks good. The only other tips I can think of are...I found the lights to be a bit too bright. All my pics of statues looked blown out because of it. I solved this by using a strip of masking tape over the led strip. It tones down the light brightness. Also until you get your little one trained not to touch the acrylic, this stuff works great for cleaning and removing scratches: https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7056-Pl...crylic+cleaner

  3. #13
    Just a little freaky
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    58
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by NullMind View Post
    Awesome job mate !! glad it worked for you, these PAX with these types of doors are the perfect combo for me, I need to build quite a few more

    I also grabbed a few non drill locks that I will be installing soon, while my kids are all grown, I do have a 5 year old godson .. and just to be extra secure he won't open the doors to get a closer peek

    Good job on the glass shelves, indeed the shadow was too harsh with the shorter PAX ones.

    NullMind

    I wish I had the ok to build more. I only have clearance to build 2 from the wife. I want to build some wall shelving between my 2 pax for the 1/6 scale x-men and use the Pax space for more 1/4 scale I am hunting down, but that will have to wait will I convincer to let me do it. How many more are you planning on building? I remember you sayin gyou had a ton of stuff on pre-order. you will have to do a room tour video once you get them all in and more Pax built.

  4. #14
    Just a little freaky
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    58
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
    Your display turned out great! Great idea with those tension rods too. I also considered mounting the light pointing up, looks good. The only other tips I can think of are...I found the lights to be a bit too bright. All my pics of statues looked blown out because of it. I solved this by using a strip of masking tape over the led strip. It tones down the light brightness. Also until you get your little one trained not to touch the acrylic, this stuff works great for cleaning and removing scratches: https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7056-Pl...crylic+cleaner
    That masking tape idea is pretty good, I may do that in the future. I'm really impressed with how the Balsa blocks have held up for these glass shelves. When I felt them at first I thought you were out of your mind for using them for your clown display. Have you seen any bowing in your shelf that you had the alien statue on that you first used the metal brackets for? I have seen some slight bowing on the sentinel shelf but the brackets keep it from moving any further, so I think it will hold really well. If I see any other further bowing I will probably get a long metal brace to put under that shelf.

  5. #15
    Super Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,908
    Feedback
    32 (100%)
    Reputation
    Visit Patriot666's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaughn View Post
    That masking tape idea is pretty good, I may do that in the future. I'm really impressed with how the Balsa blocks have held up for these glass shelves. When I felt them at first I thought you were out of your mind for using them for your clown display. Have you seen any bowing in your shelf that you had the alien statue on that you first used the metal brackets for? I have seen some slight bowing on the sentinel shelf but the brackets keep it from moving any further, so I think it will hold really well. If I see any other further bowing I will probably get a long metal brace to put under that shelf.
    I also saw a slight bow, but only a little and it didn't get worse with time. I'm sure it would've gotten worse without the brackets. Under shelf bracing isn't a bad plan though it bothers you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Super Freak
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,677
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Reputation
    Shaughn, excellent DIY post!! I just bought 5 of these PAX units and I'm following your walkthrough on building these cabinets. You've saved me at least a week of research and trial and error. If you're ever in LA I owe you a beer LOL!!

    Quick question, did you buy 1/4" extruded acrylic or 1/4" cast acrylic sheets? I've read the cast are much sturdier but they do run about 25% more in cost, but based on the bowing you've shown I may go the cast route and bite the bullet on the added cost.

    thanks
    Art

  7. #17
    Super Freak
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,677
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Reputation
    finally finished installing the doors. Very happy with how this came out and big thanks again to Shaughn for posting his detailed DIY!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	318325

    Getting all the lighting installed for the cabinets was a full day project. And I highly recommend installing the metal reinforcement for the shelves, as well as the metal pegs.

    The other note is that the hinges are excellent, but installation is a challenge. a notch has to be cut in the acrylic doors to accommodate the hinges, you can do this with a Dremel tool but it is time consuming and requires some skill. But when it's all done the finished product looks great!

    I've got 10 additional 1/4 scale statues on preorder, I should be able to get them all into the 5 PAX cabinets before having to expand out on the other side of the room

    Cheers
    Art

  8. #18
    Super Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,908
    Feedback
    32 (100%)
    Reputation
    Visit Patriot666's Instagram Channel
    Looks great Art!

  9. #19
    Just a little freaky
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    58
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
    finally finished installing the doors. Very happy with how this came out and big thanks again to Shaughn for posting his detailed DIY!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	318325

    Getting all the lighting installed for the cabinets was a full day project. And I highly recommend installing the metal reinforcement for the shelves, as well as the metal pegs.

    The other note is that the hinges are excellent, but installation is a challenge. a notch has to be cut in the acrylic doors to accommodate the hinges, you can do this with a Dremel tool but it is time consuming and requires some skill. But when it's all done the finished product looks great!

    I've got 10 additional 1/4 scale statues on preorder, I should be able to get them all into the 5 PAX cabinets before having to expand out on the other side of the room

    Cheers
    Art
    ART your setup looks so awesome! That is one amazing collection and 10 more on order!?! Cant wait to see those cabinets filled to the brim. The fact you have more room to expand is mind blowing especially living in LA (have a lot of family that still lives there).
    Also your Deathstroke and Batman 1/3 Prime 1s just helped me out because my friend is building a pax and he has both statues on order and was wondering how they would fit together in a PAX. Do you have any problems displaying deathstroke with the staff?

    Glad all the info helped you out. It is pretty much all info i collected here from other guys experimenting before me. I had the plastics company drill my holes and dremel out that notch for the hinges. That was a project I did not want to tackle on my own.

  10. #20
    Super Freak
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,677
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
    Looks great Art!
    Thanks Patriot!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaughn View Post
    ART your setup looks so awesome! That is one amazing collection and 10 more on order!?! Cant wait to see those cabinets filled to the brim. The fact you have more room to expand is mind blowing especially living in LA (have a lot of family that still lives there).
    Also your Deathstroke and Batman 1/3 Prime 1s just helped me out because my friend is building a pax and he has both statues on order and was wondering how they would fit together in a PAX. Do you have any problems displaying deathstroke with the staff?

    Glad all the info helped you out. It is pretty much all info i collected here from other guys experimenting before me. I had the plastics company drill my holes and dremel out that notch for the hinges. That was a project I did not want to tackle on my own.
    Thanks Shaughn, I'm very happy with how this came out. And no problem displaying Deathstroke with the bow staff, the cabinets are huge and very deep. And I definitely recommend getting the plastic company to cut and install the hinges, I didn't fully appreciate that the notches had to be cut directly into the acrylic until I got the doors delivered. But the hinges themselves are hefty and definitely the right ones for these heavy doors, plus they are overlay so you don't have to cut the shelves!

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Ikea Tombo Glass door for Besta Shelves
    By dmpsk8 in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM
  2. PAX Clear Glass/Acrylic doors
    By GreenGiant101 in forum How to display your collectibles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 01:11 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 10:43 AM
  4. Weight on Glass Shelves
    By nothingface35 in forum How to display your collectibles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 05:36 PM
  5. Glass Shelves???
    By Amir in forum Show your Shelves!
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •