Media Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Clown

King of the Wicker People
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this, so I decided to make one for those who want to talk about it.

"Whether you have fond NES memories or want to introduce yourself and your kids to the video games that made Nintendo a household name, you’ll love the compact and attractive console. The hub of the NES Classic Edition is the HOME Menu, which can be used to access all 30 of the classic NES games. From here, you can adjust various settings or just dive into a game and start playing. To help locate games quickly and easily, you can press the Select button to sort by title, two-player games, recently played games, number of times played, release date and publisher.

To make sure every Goomba stomp looks as authentic as possible, all games can be played in three display modes. With the CRT filter, a scan-line effect is added to the screen to give everything that oh-so-retro look and feel. 4:3 is a sharp, clean look that adheres to the original aspect ratio used by the NES. And when playing in Pixel Perfect mode, every pixel is shown as a perfect square, providing the most accurate representation of the games as they were originally designed.

Retro gaming is defined in part by the search for save spots and the need to enter long passwords, but in practice, those tasks can definitely be a little … um … time consuming. While all aspects of the original 30 NES games are intact, Suspend Points have been added to streamline the experience of playing them. At any point during gameplay, simply press the console’s Reset button to return to the HOME Menu and save a Suspend Point that will let you pick up right where you left off. Up to four Suspend Points can be saved per game, so you can track the progress of multiple players or file away your favorite moments. This is great news for parents, as their kids won’t be able to use the “I’ll be there when I get to the next save point!” excuse any more when dinner is ready."

Stood in line yesterday at Best Buy only to have them sell out 2 people in front of me. Tried later at Amazon @ 2pm and received an error after adding it to my cart. Great package and game selection but no more fiery hoops for me this year.

I had one in my cart on Amazon clicked checkout and it was already sold out. Hopefully Nintendo is serious about a steady supply and they become easy to get, its a cool little thing but not close to worth what the re sellers are asking for it.

I tried at 2pm as well and I either could not add to the cart or when I did , I got an error. Once again, I chalk this up to Nintendo being up to their old tricks of not shipping enough out to push demand. I will just wait on this until they are abundant.

I put it in my cart on Amazon 8 times yesterday and got the "You're cart is empty" message every time. Couldn't find it anywhere else online, my Gamestop got 5 that I'm 95% sure went to employees, and apparently our Walmart started selling them at midnight but only had 6. I'll get it eventually, but I'm not spending more than retail to get it. In a couple months these will be taking up a lot of shelf space.

Lucky I live in NY. I got one at the Nintendo NY store. They have the largest inventory there.

Was 2nd in line at Target at 8am, was able to get one of the 33 they had in stock after having to run faster than Usain Bolt to the electronics department. It's totally worth it but the wires for it and the controller are way to short. Way to short. But playing punch out and Castlevania again, felt like I was 8 years old.

As much as I want to love this system, the controller has a seriously short cord. I read on Amazon that the cord is 28 inches long. I don't know about anyone else, but my couch isn't anywhere close to 28 inches from the TV. Granted you have to take in account for the distance of the NES from the TV and then the cord, but that still wouldn't even come close.

There are companies making extension cords and wireless controllers.

That is all fine, but it doesn't change the fact that someone came up with a dumb idea to make people have to sit right under their TV in the first place. In my opinion, this should have never shipped with anything less than a 9 or 10 foot cord. People shouldn't have to buy a third party extension in order to play the system. Although it is nice that there is going to be an extension since the company decided we all need bad eyesight and painful necks.

I tried at 2pm as well and I either could not add to the cart or when I did , I got an error. Once again, I chalk this up to Nintendo being up to their old tricks of not shipping enough out to push demand. I will just wait on this until they are abundant.

I ran into the same issue. This was one of my planned presents for my nephews for Christmas. When both GameStop and Amazon showed them in stock, I kept getting errors trying to add them to cart. My local Target and GameStop each showed 5 in inventory before they opened on Friday, and both had lines of 10+ people before they opened. It really was a poor release by Nintendo.

That is all fine, but it doesn't change the fact that someone came up with a dumb idea to make people have to sit right under their TV in the first place. In my opinion, this should have never shipped with anything less than a 9 or 10 foot cord. People shouldn't have to buy a third party extension in order to play the system. Although it is nice that there is going to be an extension since the company decided we all need bad eyesight and painful necks.
It's a throwback to the original NES! When we all set right in front of the TV.

It's a throwback to the original NES! When we all set right in front of the TV.
While this is true, back in the day the TVs weren't mounted on the wall and were generally not too terribly high off of the floor. Just because it is a throwback system, that doesn't mean it can't be made to work around how modern day TVs are setup. It has a modern TV connector, HDMI. Plus, back in the day we were all kids and loved to sit on the floor. Nowadays, most people who will buy this are adults and will probably prefer to sit on furniture.

I'm not trying to start trouble here, just stating my biggest gripe with the way they made the new system.

Some jacka$$ posted it for sale on a Facebook thread my wife follows for $295. Needless to say, the posted comments were NOT kind.

Some jacka$$ posted it for sale on a Facebook thread my wife follows for $295. Needless to say, the posted comments were NOT kind.

As a people can be patient, it'll come back in-stock.

Nintendo released a statement about more waves after the first of the year.

Back